Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Teams You Have Seen Brighton Play In All 3 Domestic Comps

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I imagine a fair few of you can put down Man City and Liverpool.

I was wondering the other day if there are any teams we have played in all four divisions plus the F.A cup and league cup? Are there any teams that we've played in all of those plus the checkatrade trophy in it's earlier guise before it allowed the U 21 teams in?

I'm pretty sure we've played Hull, Swansea and cardiff in all four divisions. We've played Hull in the F.A cup too. Don't think we have in the league cup.

We've played fulham in at least the top two divisions, the fourth division, fa cup and checkatrade trophy. Not sure if we have played them in the league cup or the third division.

But my knowledge is incomplete. I know there are people on NSC with far better memory's than mine and with a far more encyclopedic knowledge than me.

Bournemouth must be a fair shout

Played them at Prem, Champ, League One, FA Cup, League Cup.... must have played them in league 2 as well and def played them in the Auto Windscreen Shield which is now the Checkatrade.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Bournemouth must be a fair shout

Played them at Prem, Champ, League One, FA Cup, League Cup.... must have played them in league 2 as well and def played them in the Auto Windscreen Shield which is now the Checkatrade.

Never played Bournemouth in the Division 4.

We've played Notts County in every equation except the Full Members Cup.

There isn't a full house, alas.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Wolves.

There was a fantastic League Cup tie at The Goldstone in 1969, which we lost 3-2, but twice went ahead, to much delight and toilet-roll throwing from the North Stand, our first meeting in any competition. Our second meeting was another 3-2 home defeat in the FA Cup fourth round in the 78-79 promotion season.

Following promotion we beat them in nine successive league meetings until a 1-1 draw at Molineux in 1989. So we had won every league game against them and lost every cup game.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Wolves.

There was a fantastic League Cup tie at The Goldstone in 1969, which we lost 3-2, but twice went ahead, to much delight and toilet-roll throwing from the North Stand, our first meeting in any competition. Our second meeting was another 3-2 home defeat in the FA Cup fourth round in the 78-79 promotion season.

Following promotion we beat them in nine successive league meetings until a 1-1 draw at Molineux in 1989. So we had won every league game against them and lost every cup game.

The FA Cup game being memorable for Lawrenson's box to box goal.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Don't forget City on our route to Wembley in 83? (assuming you're old enough, and were at the game).

I’m old enough but wasn’t at the game.
I was trying to remember if we’d played them in the 2nd division?

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
I imagine a fair few of you can put down Man City and Liverpool.

I was wondering the other day if there are any teams we have played in all four divisions plus the F.A cup and league cup? Are there any teams that we've played in all of those plus the checkatrade trophy in it's earlier guise before it allowed the U 21 teams in?

I'm pretty sure we've played Hull, Swansea and cardiff in all four divisions. We've played Hull in the F.A cup too. Don't think we have in the league cup.

We've played fulham in at least the top two divisions, the fourth division, fa cup and checkatrade trophy. Not sure if we have played them in the league cup or the third division.

But my knowledge is incomplete. I know there are people on NSC with far better memory's than mine and with a far more encyclopedic knowledge than me.

87 88 Fulham and Brighton both in Div 3

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I’m old enough but wasn’t at the game.
I was trying to remember if we’d played them in the 2nd division?

More than once. 1983/84 and also in the late 80s.

Bruntburger

Mar 9, 2009
Peacehaven
by that I mean League,FA Cup & League Cup and games you actually attended

Must be loads of examples,can only think of two off the top of my head though

Man Utd & Barnet ???

Man Utd (league,Goldstone) (fa Cup,Old Trafford) (league Cup,Goldstone)

Barnet (league,Withdean) (fa cup,Goldstone) (league Cup,Amex)

Will cheat later and look a few up

I’m sure the old Trafford game was league cup - when Ryan Giggs scored the only goal from free kick?

I’m sure one of those early nineties games was when we saw Beckham debut live as well!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Don't forget City on our route to Wembley in 83? (assuming you're old enough, and were at the game).

Thats what I was thinking . .. saw lots of cup games as a kid early 80's, cheap and easy to get in.

We did shity 4-1 in Oct 81 too, I was 10, it was a memorable day

3-3 vs Liverpool the following month with my 'big' cousin (LFC fan still, and a lower class relative as a consequence)

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Must be showing your age with that. Colchester United in the FA Cup was a 60s match.

I thought we played them at Withdean once in the cup or am I confusing that with a potential FL trophy game, attendance was pretty low so may be getting confused

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I’m sure the old Trafford game was league cup - when Ryan Giggs scored the only goal from free kick?

I’m sure one of those early nineties games was when we saw Beckham debut live as well!

1st leg was at the Goldstone when, I think, Matthew Edwards scored a header in the south stand goal with his eyes closed! At the 2nd leg he made his Man Utd debut coming on as a sub.

bobbab5

Sep 5, 2003
Ely, Cambs.
1st leg was at the Goldstone when, I think, Matthew Edwards scored a header in the south stand goal with his eyes closed! At the 2nd leg he made his Man Utd debut coming on as a sub.

Beckham's debut was in the 1st leg, I remember the stadium announcer calling him David Blackham, and I was at the 2nd leg too. And also the FA Cup match. More OT visits than a lot of plastic Utd fans!

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017

Beckham debut was league cup

The 1-0 defeat at Old Trafford was the 4th round of the FA Cup,we had beaten Pompey in the 3rd

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
Palace in the Premier League, Championship, Championship play-offs (could that be interpreted as a different competition?), FA Cup and Zenith Data Systems Cup

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here