Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League 26-28/09

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Lots of people were happy about VAR re poll on this forum. No point whinging now about it.

It was the main reason why i jacked in my season ticket

The vast majority on NSC have always hated VAR.

I’m in the minority that want it. Btw Brighton were joint highest gainers from VAR corrections last season.

Today’s Spuds thing isn’t about VAR. This summer a black and white decision was made by the football authorities to change the law so that a ball hitting the hand/arm when not at their side is a handball offence. Even if the ball touches a player’s hand/arm directly from the head or body (including the foot) of another player who is close.

Madness.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Having had it now a few years. Sepp Blatter was right in one thing - his opposition to it.

No problem with goal line tech, it doesnt impact anything - but so much of the VAR now is totally anal and splitting hairs for half a centimetre. Games are decided not by players or even the ref, but by the hidden official with his TV sets.

change the handball rule to what it was forever (until tinkered with), if its not deliberate, its not handball, a minor graze on the arm for player trying to play it or not doing so deliberately, is not the same as diving to stop a goal with hands.

VAR is ruining the game 100%

Last year it was the handball before a goal and this year its pens.

In situations like yesterday/today Defenders are better off standing off

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
To an extent football has only itself to blame. So many people (fans and pundits) have sought to undermine the motives of referees that they had to bring in a handball rule that creates an automatic handball offense and removes the subjectivity of giving the ref the final call. NSC over the last 24 hours is all the evidence we need. Many posters unwilling to accept the Maupay penalty decision without deciding the ref is a crook.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Newcastle boss Steve Bruce talking to Sky Sports: "I can understand why Spurs will go beserk and Roy Hodgson reacted like he did. It is a total nonsense, we should be jumping through hoops but I would be devastated if that was us. Maybe Roy is right, maybe we all need to get together. The decisions are ruining the spectacle. We have to get together as managers and say this must stop.

"If our goalkeeper didn't play as well first half they would have been out of sight. Second half we were better and posed a bit of a threat. Our goalkeeper has got us a point and a decision that went our way."

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
At least now clubs will have some more merchandising opportunities. Club coloured Straight jackets - the latest fashion accessory.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
To an extent football has only itself to blame. So many people (fans and pundits) have sought to undermine the motives of referees that they had to bring in a handball rule that creates an automatic handball offense and removes the subjectivity of giving the ref the final call. NSC over the last 24 hours is all the evidence we need. Many posters unwilling to accept the Maupay penalty decision without deciding the ref is a crook.

No one on NSC questions wtf Maupay hand-balled it? Brainless. Why did he do that?

Or why we put a small player against a giant CB.

Killer Whale

Banned
Jul 27, 2020
Bamford gets stick because he’s been a bang average Championship striker for pretty much all his career. If Bielsa really has turned him into the next Harry Kane then he might be a cross between God and Harry Potter after all.

Marcelo has been on a real journey with Bamford who was very unpopular with Leeds fans for two seasons, and reliant on his support. This is how you motivate a player and build his confidence...

https://www.facebook.com/COPA90/videos/bamford-training-ground-wonder-goal/351627905596198/

Marcelo IS a coaching genius. It really is as simple as that. He is an intellectual, so he understand the game as well (or better) as anyone , but he also has a lot of warmth which his interviews (deliberately opaque so as to ward off the media's nonsense) don't give any hint of. If you give your best for him, he is completely loyal and protective in return.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Marcelo has been on a real journey with Bamford who was very unpopular with Leeds fans for two seasons, and reliant on his support. This is how you motivate a player and build his confidence...

https://www.facebook.com/COPA90/videos/bamford-training-ground-wonder-goal/351627905596198/

Marcelo IS a coaching genius. It really is as simple as that. He is an intellectual, so he understand the game as well (or better) as anyone , but he also has a lot of warmth which his interviews (deliberately opaque so as to ward off the media's nonsense) don't give any hint of. If you give your best for him, he is completely loyal and protective in return.
He cant speak English can he?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

I’m in the minority that want it. Btw Brighton were joint highest gainers from VAR corrections last season.

Today’s Spuds thing isn’t about VAR. This summer a black and white decision was made by the football authorities to change the law so that a ball hitting the hand/arm when not at their side is a handball offence. Even if the ball touches a player’s hand/arm directly from the head or body (including the foot) of another player who is close.

Madness.

It has everything to do with VAR. All the time it is being used it will delay passages of play while we wait on certain decisions.. It will scrutinize things right down to the finer details.

It has ruined football for the paying customer but made it more exciting for the armchair fan.

I don't care if we benefited from it last year i rather not have it at all. Just let the game flow

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Oh yes it was a pen, BUT the whistle had gone... I don't think you should be able to retrospectively review the match... Why don't we review that cup game at West Brom, and give Andone the red he deserved? Why not re-review the second pen yesterday? you know all comfortable like, after the ref has had a cuppa and decided he missed something a week last Wednesday... FFS.

The coupling of VAR with incompetents and ridiculous rules, whilst setting frankly ludicrous presidents WILL ruin our once beautiful game once and for all.

But the rules allow for the VAR check to take place even after the whistle to end a half, it's just the proximity of the full time whistle to the incident meant the ref probably wasn't informed the VAR check was taking place before he blew for full time.

It happened in Germany a couple of seasons ago after the half time whistle had blown.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43791511

The same rule would allowed the ref to have given a a penalty before VAR had come in if he'd blown for full time but hadn't noticed an assistant ref flagging for a penalty.

Oh and Andone was given a retrospective red card for the incident against West Brom in the FA Cup.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/footbal...liser,by an Independent Regulatory Commission.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Newcastle boss Steve Bruce talking to Sky Sports: "I can understand why Spurs will go beserk and Roy Hodgson reacted like he did. It is a total nonsense, we should be jumping through hoops but I would be devastated if that was us. Maybe Roy is right, maybe we all need to get together. The decisions are ruining the spectacle. We have to get together as managers and say this must stop.

"If our goalkeeper didn't play as well first half they would have been out of sight. Second half we were better and posed a bit of a threat. Our goalkeeper has got us a point and a decision that went our way."

He could have directed his players to refuse to take the penalty.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Madness.
I keep seeing the claim we were highest gainers last year. That includes many goals which were going to be disallowed for offside in any case. No-one to my knowledge, has produced a table of benefited parties with decisions that were not clear cut and which otherwise would have resulted in a different outcome.

That renders the argument that we benefited more than others, redundant.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I keep seeing the claim we were highest gainers last year. That includes many goals which were going to be disallowed for offside in any case. No-one to my knowledge, has produced a table of benefited parties with decisions that were not clear cut and which otherwise would have resulted in a different outcome.

That renders the argument that we benefited more than others, redundant.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Yes - if you take yesterday as an example:
  • Two goals disallowed for Man U
  • Penalty overturned for us
  • Penalty given against us

At face value that means we gained as much as we lost - two VAR decisions each way. Yet we all know that was simply not the case.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It has everything to do with VAR. All the time it is being used it will delay passages of play while we wait on certain decisions.. It will scrutinize things right down to the finer details.

It has ruined football for the paying customer but made it more exciting for the armchair fan.

I don't care if we benefited from it last year i rather not have it at all. Just let the game flow

Focusing on handball, as that’s caused the flurry of NSC posts post Spuds game. Without VAR, refs and assistant refs are/would be forced to give handball on every instance of ball to hand or arm (but not the very top of the arm). No matter if the ball’s just travelled 15cm. It is new, it is mandatory.

That’s the madness I think we’re all agreed upon.

NSC would be full of irate posters against the ref and assistants without VAR, over this nuance.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes - if you take yesterday as an example:
  • Two goals disallowed for Man U
  • Penalty overturned for us
  • Penalty given against us

At face value that means we gained as much as we lost - two VAR decisions each way. Yet we all know that was simply not the case.

Last season the Albion and Manure benefitted most from VAR decisions. Little old Brighton were not non-top 6 victims.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here