Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Dean Jones.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Awful news. He was one of those players that you wished you could have in your side, a player that helped Australia dominate the world of cricket and dominate the Ashes. R.I.P. Dean.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Saw him hit a one-handed six in a one-day match in Brisbane c1990/91. Shows what an impression it made on me that I can still visualise it (and the crowd reaction) today.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Great batsan and fielder, RIP Dean

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Very sad. Used to HATE him coming in to bat in test matches because he was always likely to give us a battering. Top batsman. RIP.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Really sad news - growing up in Australia for my generation generally meant watching a lot of Dean Jones, along with Border, Steve Waugh as he started his career, Simon O'Donnell, David Boon, Geoff Marsh batting.

My memory of Deano was that he was one of those frustrating batsmen who would either get out before making 20 or absolutely batter the bowlers. That and he had problems running out his batting partners (or running himself out) in one day matches because he was one of the early batsmen who saw the value in putting the fielders under pressure to get their throws in.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I saw him play once live- at Horsham. A JPL game in 1992. Horsham was great for those, a clay based flat top with shorter boundaries. 475 runs over 80 overs in the day which was good for those times.

He was Durham's best acquisition in their first year, scoring 74 not out that day. An absolute run fest. It was the year his Test career ended.

RIP.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here