Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] NHS CV19 tracing app.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
As already posted, there will be a whole heap of people who are undoubtedly going to be involved in some sort of mutual wankathon to celebrate how clever they've been in leaving a bad review as soon as the app dropped.

You know when Albion are going through bad times, or losing, there's that small group of people who seem to take delight in that misery, just waiting for another defeat so they can jump on here, or on twitter, to revel in an unfortunate event?

Is strikes me that there's a similar group of people who can't wait for any government mis-step on Covid-19, so they can stick the boot in. That real or perceived government failings are bad for all of us, almost seems secondary, such is their glee to jump on it.

It's an app that uses independently-provided technology from two of the world's leading technology companies, the same tech deployed by other countries in similar apps.

If I install it, there's a chance I could save someone's life.

If I don't install it, there's a chance I might not save someone's life.

I don't find the choice a difficult one to make.

I'm not trying to persuade anyone. Those who won't install it, were never going to do so and won't be persuaded by me or by anyone else.. As Starsailor once sang:

Thank goodness for the good souls
That make life better.

[emoji122]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
As already posted, there will be a whole heap of people who are undoubtedly going to be involved in some sort of mutual wankathon to celebrate how clever they've been in leaving a bad review as soon as the app dropped.

You know when Albion are going through bad times, or losing, there's that small group of people who seem to take delight in that misery, just waiting for another defeat so they can jump on here, or on twitter, to revel in an unfortunate event?

Is strikes me that there's a similar group of people who can't wait for any government mis-step on Covid-19, so they can stick the boot in. That real or perceived government failings are bad for all of us, almost seems secondary, such is their glee to jump on it.

It's an app that uses independently-provided technology from two of the world's leading technology companies, the same tech deployed by other countries in similar apps.

I'm not trying to persuade anyone. Those who won't install it, were never going to do so and won't be persuaded by me or by anyone else.. As Starsailor once sang:

That make life better.

Excellent post -well said. It really is a shame that so many on the political posts on here are seemingly determined to find anything negative, invariably with little real information to back-up their prejudices.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

That make life better.

Yup. Mostly.

It's not often that I agree with [MENTION=534]Chicken Run[/MENTION] but he'll find a thumbs up on this thread. Anyone worried about their life being logged had pretty much better chuck their mobile phone plus any GPS exercise logger in the sea, and opt out of data collection everywhere for good measure. Hand in your Tesco Clubcard while you're at it.

Mostly? I do think there are a lot of things that could have been done better but they have been and gone. A proper track and trace app isn't one of them, it represents progress and my only criticism would be over the delay in getting it done, thanks to trying to NOT use the big software companies initially.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This scenario could easily unfold again at some point in the future (if it’s not already in motion now) and a huge amount of our society would blindly fall into line and follow the ‘rules’. Even here you can see anyone who’s not prepared to just accept what they’re told is true by the powers that be are labelled a ‘nut job’ or other snide weak comments.

It seems we have learnt nothing from the past

It also seems a lot of emphasis is being placed on the UK app, which possibly fires up certain types and turns it into a frenzied but simple binary argument. This has been the way for a few years now with many topics; us vs them.

In Germany, it’s just another part of the armoury which compliments all the other means being used to track, trace and contact. Robert Koch and Oxford Uni did some analyse and deemed, in the German context...from memory, only 15% of the population need to down load it for it to be useful. There’s genuine reasons why people can’t, or won’t, download the app, but they’re respected; possibly because there’s not as much emphasis placed on the app as there is in the U.K.

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
So is this based on the shelf google/apple API?

Yes it is, they gave up on their bespoke "world beating" version and gone for the same one everyone else is using.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I will overlook your snide final sentence and expand on my personal situation. I have the German one installed, have done for a long time now. But, I have huge reservations about the privacy and integrity of my data in the hands of this Cummins led Government, I don’t trust him, or them, one inch. For that reason I’m out. I am only in the UK for short periods, a few days, and know all of my movements as my days are planned....so I’ll do the sensible thing and notify the contact tracing people should I discover I’m positive when I get my post U.K. test done.

I think this will probably be as good, most likely better, than the app.

Our posts crossed - mine wasn't directed at anyone in particular. However I'm as happy with my position as I'm sure you are with your own.

No your approach won't be as good as the app's:

[tweet]1309056009449672706[/tweet]

Under your approach any and all casual contacts you may have, those hard to trace using manual T&T efforts, would not be notified of your infection.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It also seems a lot of emphasis is being placed on the UK app, which possibly fires up certain types and turns it into a frenzied but simple binary argument. This has been the way for a few years now with many topics; us vs them.

In Germany, it’s just another part of the armoury which compliments all the other means being used to track, trace and contact. Robert Koch and Oxford Uni did some analyse and deemed, in the German context...from memory, only 15% of the population need to down load it for it to be useful. There’s genuine reasons why people can’t, or won’t, download the app, but they’re respected; possibly because there’s not as much emphasis placed on the app as there is in the U.K.

15% uptake is the number that has been quoted universally as the threshold for making a difference. It came from Professor Christopher Fraser at Oxford.

A quick look at his twitter account shows he's trying hard to encourage people to use the app. What does he know, eh?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Whatever you think of the Government why would you not download this app that now uses the same standard protocols as track and trace in other countries ? Because, which no matter how limited it is, or whatever teething problems there are, it's only going to help the safety of yourself and other people during the pandemic.

And for people who were worried about Cumming's influence, the Government have U-turned from Cummings mate's 'software house's central system' and are using a standard track and trace distributed architecture. Better late than never, but no reason not to download it.

Sorry, if I misunderstood Lamie, but what was wrong with saying that 'If you can't wear a mask or similar, then wear a plastic face shield ?'

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Our posts crossed - mine wasn't directed at anyone in particular. However I'm as happy with my position as I'm sure you are with your own.

No your approach won't be as good as the app's:

[tweet]1309056009449672706[/tweet]

Under your approach any and all casual contacts you may have, those hard to trace using manual T&T efforts, would not be notified of your infection.

So we're agreed that the App isn't and never was, the cherry on the icing on the top of the Track and trace cake, but has a major impact on the efficiency of the whole process :wink:

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
My phone is too old to take it ,according to what I have read. I am on Android 4.4 and the phone says no updates are available. I suspect a lot of the most vulnerable people will be in the same position. Old people don’t like changing stuff that still works well.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
My phone is too old to take it ,according to what I have read. I am on Android 4.4 and the phone says no updates are available. I suspect a lot of the most vulnerable people will be in the same position. Old people don’t like changing stuff that still works well.

This :lolol:

Internet: Old TV caused village broadband outages for 18 months

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-54239180

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Whatever you think of the Government why would you not download this app that now uses the same standard protocols as track and trace in other countries ? Because, which no matter how limited it is, or whatever teething problems there are, it's only going to help the safety of yourself and other people during the pandemic.

And for people who were worried about Cumming's influence, the Government have U-turned from Cummings mate's 'software house's central system' and are using a standard track and trace distributed architecture. Better late than never, but no reason not to download it.

Sorry, if I misunderstood Lamie, but what was wrong with saying that 'If you can't wear a mask or similar, then wear a plastic face shield ?'

Hiya....unfortunately the poster didn’t say that ...have a reread at the bit in bold .. :)

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I was against the original app, but absolutely will be using this new one. Much happier that it is using standard APIs and systems etc

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Ok - I'm not knocking the app or anything like that, I'm just confused by it.

For starters - I've downloaded the app and activated it.

If I get a notification saying that I need to self isolate for 14 days because I may have been in a place (cafe/tesco etc) when someone who has tested positive was also there, does that mean that I have to self-isolate, plus my family - meaning my 3 kids could not go to school, nor could my wife, a secondary school teacher who are already massively short staffed due to this covid-enforced absences, due to the slim possibility that I may have come into close contact with them or something they touched, even if I or my family have no symptoms?

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Maybe they do, but I prefer to not package all my movements up into a nice one-stop-shop of an app. At least GCHQ have to work a little bit to find out my movements and check a few of my apps :smile:

All things considered, I’m comfortable with my approach.

Get over yourself. Even if they are lying about how they're going to use your data, so what? They know more about us than we'll ever know, knowing that you're off to Wilko for a bit more tin foil won't change a thing.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

If I get a notification saying that I need to self isolate for 14 days because I may have been in a place (cafe/tesco etc) when someone who has tested positive was also there, does that mean that I have to self-isolate, plus my family - meaning my 3 kids could not go to school, nor could my wife, a secondary school teacher who are already massively short staffed due to this covid-enforced absences, due to the slim possibility that I may have come into close contact with them or something they touched, even if I or my family have no symptoms?

there needs to be a significant presence in close proximity, 15min within 2 meters, for the system to alert you as needing to isolate/test. passing someone in the street or shopping aisle shouldnt trigger a warning.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
So 1 in 3 false positives on the app, and Johnson has confirmed that if you get a notiffication via the app, there is no legal requirement to self isolate, and no fines are applicable. You must only self isolate when contacted by the track and trace team.

So more money well spent by the Government.

But 2 in 3 accurate positives that presumably we wouldn't otherwise have had?

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Notification isn't definite and you wouldn't self isolate for 14 days on the strength of it. But, you would self isolate, whilst at the same time take a test. That way you could be sure.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here