Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] NHS CV19 tracing app.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
We are trying to be Covid secure in our business. We have gone full on face masks for anyone not seated at a table, we’ve already had 2 customers that have said they are exempt from wearing masks, youngsters not the usual complainers, but, they had left their exemption credentials at home, ( honest)

I turned them both away , they weren’t happy, but, what am I meant to do?

Feel good about yourself! You did the right thing. Helping get the message through. The inconvenience pales compared to catching the thing. I’ve forgotten my mask on the odd occasion going into a shop. Had I been turned away, I’d had no problem. I felt guilty all the same. Should have had to walk all the way home again, that would certainly help me to remember next time. Have several masks, in car, by front door, with keys etc now so I don’t forget and of late, I haven’t. Also have no problem if I was in a shop without and a member of the public confronted me about not wearing. People should, in a polite but assertive way, be able to. We’re all so afraid of doing so however. The old ‘stabbed with a knife’ cliche gets trotted out immediately, but that’s so remote as to not being a real risk.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I just have done.

If it helps then great. My local authority has been lucky so far and only have a small number of cases but I would like it to stay that way

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I couldn't have said it better myself.

In fact, looking at the people that won't install it, tells me it's absolutely the right thing to do so - imagine being one of them!

I will overlook your snide final sentence and expand on my personal situation. I have the German one installed, have done for a long time now. But, I have huge reservations about the privacy and integrity of my data in the hands of this Cummins led Government, I don’t trust him, or them, one inch. For that reason I’m out. I am only in the UK for short periods, a few days, and know all of my movements as my days are planned....so I’ll do the sensible thing and notify the contact tracing people should I discover I’m positive when I get my post U.K. test done.

I think this will probably be as good, most likely better, than the app.

Last edited:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
We are trying to be Covid secure in our business. We have gone full on face masks for anyone not seated at a table, we’ve already had 2 customers that have said they are exempt from wearing masks, youngsters not the usual complainers, but, they had left their exemption credentials at home, ( honest)

I turned them both away , they weren’t happy, but, what am I meant to do?

It is an almost impossible situation. You did the right thing and hopefully your business benefits from it as word gets around that you are doing the right thing and other people feel more secure.

Smirko

Aug 19, 2011
Brighton
Downloaded this norming. Good clean easy to use interface and you can easily turn it off/on if needed, say if you are at home.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I’ve forgotten my mask on the odd occasion going into a shop. Had I been turned away, I’d had no problem. I felt guilty all the same.

It's tough. I went out for a long run on Sunday and a few miles in I was absolutely parched. It dawned on me that I'd not had a drink since tea with breakfast, some seven hours before, and I don't carry water with me.

I did have my phone, so could ApplePay a purchase but I didn't have a mask, so I didn't go into a shop and I made my run a lot shorter than intended.

Fortunately, it's become one of those things I check for now when leaving the house - wallet, phone, keys and a mask, and we have a big pack of them in the car too, so I've always been able to comply when required.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
It's tough. I went out for a long run on Sunday and a few miles in I was absolutely parched. It dawned on me that I'd not had a drink since tea with breakfast, some seven hours before, and I don't carry water with me.

I did have my phone, so could ApplePay a purchase but I didn't have a mask, so I didn't go into a shop and I made my run a lot shorter than intended.

Fortunately, it's become one of those things I check for now when leaving the house - wallet, phone, keys and a mask, and we have a big pack of them in the car too, so I've always been able to comply when required.

I hope you're not jogging around residential streets where you're putting others at danger for non essential purposes?

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I hate being tracked and usually keep the location on my phone switched off. Not just a personal privacy thing, but also am deeply suspicious of, and have a dislike of, the giant data-farming companies. Never been on facebook partly for that reason. Even refused to use Strava. I have turned google maps on in emergencies only and usually when travelling abroad (so their data on my must be very confusing).*

I would not trust those running this govenment (on behalf of the super-wealthy) as far as I could kick them.

All that said, have just downloaded and activated the app. As much as I dislike the idea, given the total f*ck up this government has made of things, we need every bit of help we can get to try and return to a more normal situation.

* I am fully aware that this is an excercise in futility but I choose the struggle anyway.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I will overlook your snide final sentence and expand on my personal situation. I have the German one installed, have done for a long time now. But, I have huge reservations about the privacy and integrity of my data in the hands of this Cummins led Government, I don’t trust him, or them, one inch. For that reason I’m out. I am only in the UK for short periods, a few days, and know all of my movements as my days are planned....so I’ll do the sensible thing and notify the contact tracing people should I discover I’m positive when I get my post U.K. test done.

I think this will probably be as good, most likely better, than the app.

I'd be amazed if GCHQ didn't have the wherewithall to track and trace all of our movements anyways, long before covid was a thing

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I will overlook your snide final sentence and expand on my personal situation. I have the German one installed, have done for a long time now. But, I have huge reservations about the privacy and integrity of my data in the hands of this Cummins led Government, I don’t trust him, or them, one inch.

the model implemented is the same as everywhere else, as thats the only one Apple/Google will allow.

its their jobs to track everywhere you go. and send in report to governments on request.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Care to expand on the non-binary groups?

Excluding those who don't have access to a smartphone obviously

I'll refer to people like HT ( see his post above yours ) about data use and equally people who don't appreciate that the app hasn't been properly tested.

It's all getting very snide and bitchy now. No consideration of other peoples circumstances. Citizens spying on citizens. How very communist.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I hate being tracked and usually keep the location on my phone switched off. Not just a personal privacy thing, but also am deeply suspicious of, and have a dislike of, the giant data-farming companies. Never been on facebook partly for that reason. Even refused to use Strava. I have turned google maps on in emergencies only and usually when travelling abroad (so their data on my must be very confusing).

I would not trust those running this govenment (on behalf of the super-wealthy) as far as I could kick them.

All that said, have just downloaded and activated the app. As much as I dislike the idea, given the total f*ck up this government has made of things, we need every bit of help we can get to try and return to a more normal situation.

Good post - I think (hope) this is how a lot of people feel. Absent a vaccine, an effective T&T programme (evidenced by most of the far more successful countries) is our best hope of getting back towards normality so unless a large % of the population start using it we’ll remain royally ****ed.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
downloaded it this morning, I can not think of a rational reason not to do so, anyone who thinks along the lines that its all a big conspiracy and has a smart phone has already given every bit of information and data to big brother anyway, so this isn't anything more. So if it is all a big con there is no harm, if on the other hand this virus exists then anything we can do to help is a no brainer.

There are those who can not for various reasons use this app,and wear masks and thats fine, but the more that do the better for those who cant. Those who won't rather than cant, and refuse to follow any kind of preventative behaviour really need to take a good long look at themselves, using whatever brain cells they have. The reason we can't go back into football stadiums, and do the other things we all want is down to people like them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here