Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] How can Premier League Teams Help....,,

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Lower league teams survive in these difficult times ???

Would it be too much to ask for each Premier league team to donate £5 million to a fund which is distributed out all lower league teams ???

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Jeez: Liverpool didn't even want to pay their own (non-playing) staff at the start of lockdown: do you actually think they're going to volunteer to pay somebody else's?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
£200m to a vetted and fairly distributed fund.

That's 5 Joelintons.....

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its a nice sentiment, but there are so many factors. Some clubs are well run, some clubs quite clearly are not. What would they go and spend it on, more transfer fees they can't afford ? Have they run up debts chasing promotion ? Are they paying wildly ridiculous sums to squads, players and agents that they can't afford ? Why should the PL pick up the tab for that ?

TV money filters down from the PL, but there is no obligation for PL clubs to prop up the EFL clubs who are on their arses, especially the ones in the Championship who bet the farm on getting promoted by selling their own stadiums to themselves to squirm round FFP. Why should PL clubs chuck millions at owners who do that ?

I'm not against a greater distribution of money within the game, but there would have to be highly stringent controls on exactly where that money goes, and what its used for. A slush fund would quickly become a crutch for owners who take the piss and would abuse it.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It won’t happen. The enormity of what’s unfolding has yet to dawn on the richest sections of society and probably won’t until the pitchforks and flaming torches arrive in Mayfair. Then they’ll just hop on the Lear to a 3rd home in the Caribbean. Sports no different, It’ll have to get really ugly first. And then it’s too late sadly. Expect many clubs will therefore disappear. Maybe entire leagues. It’s an unparalleled situation requiring an equal response but I don’t think footballs up to it, collectively.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
We'll see. The PL does not like bad PR and spending billions while small clubs are collapsing is bad PR. Give it a few months until a lot of clubs start collapsing and the PL will come to the rescue, to some extent... Probably your government as well.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
They will wait until after the transfer window has shut.

We all know where a lot of the gifted funds will end up clubs get paid while they they are still able to buy new players.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Agree a football wide salary reduction of 20% for every member of the profession earning over £250k. Use the pot to protect the entire pyramid both playing and non playing staff. Just from PL players (not championship) you get 20 teams of 25 man squads = 500. 500*40k per week = £20m per week. Championship @ half of PL gets another £7-10m a week. Then add in management/directors and Gordon Taylor and you’d have a pot north of £6-7m a week. That’ll help keep the pyramid alive.

AND introduce an agent Levy of 5-10% an all income generated

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Its a nice sentiment, but there are so many factors. Some clubs are well run, some clubs quite clearly are not. What would they go and spend it on, more transfer fees they can't afford ? Have they run up debts chasing promotion ? Are they paying wildly ridiculous sums to squads, players and agents that they can't afford ? Why should the PL pick up the tab for that ?

TV money filters down from the PL, but there is no obligation for PL clubs to prop up the EFL clubs who are on their arses, especially the ones in the Championship who bet the farm on getting promoted by selling their own stadiums to themselves to squirm round FFP. Why should PL clubs chuck millions at owners who do that ?

I'm not against a greater distribution of money within the game, but there would have to be highly stringent controls on exactly where that money goes, and what its used for. A slush fund would quickly become a crutch for owners who take the piss and would abuse it.

I hear what you’re saying, but this is an exceptional situation. If club owners squander any gifted money intended to keep their club afloat, and that club still goes under, then that’s a tragedy, but at least the effort will have been made. To not at least try to do anything when such obscene amounts of money are being chucked around the PL strikes me as indefensible. The losers will inevitably be the fans of those clubs, and that makes me feel very sad. At least with a one off stay of execution there will be an opportunity to put things right further along the road in a post-COVID world.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Anything the Premier league do for the EFL will come with so many strings attached the EFL may not think its worth it.

Changes to EFL cup
Wage caps
Reduction in TV money
Scrap FA cup replays
Etc..

Fulham's 2nd year of parachute money is floating around premier league coffers, 34m or so, that would be a start.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
It won’t happen. The enormity of what’s unfolding has yet to dawn on the richest sections of society and probably won’t until the pitchforks and flaming torches arrive in Mayfair. Then they’ll just hop on the Lear to a 3rd home in the Caribbean. Sports no different, It’ll have to get really ugly first. And then it’s too late sadly. Expect many clubs will therefore disappear. Maybe entire leagues. It’s an unparalleled situation requiring an equal response but I don’t think footballs up to it, collectively.

Quite - Demonstrably, the PL is (collectively) carrying on as though nothing has happened, kind of ignoring the £1bn+ black hole that's appearing in front of it. Every single club must be facing up to huge cash flow issues but you wouldn't know it without drilling down a bit!

Longer term, wage cap - What's killing lower league clubs is wage inflation driven by PL money, nip that in the bud and you're a long way to finding your answer. Oh, and do away with parachute payments.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
If Premier League clubs can readily hand over millions of pounds to Richard Scudamore for doing his already well rewarded job , we can do something for clubs further down the food chain facing oblivion

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm torn. Professional football is one of the most nakedly capitalist activities we engage with, and yet many clubs proudly promote themselves as 'in the community'. We do it. In our case there is a strong element of giving back to the local community, but all that goodwill expenditure probably gives massive returns. For example, because I love my club, parly because I'm proud of it, I am happy to put my hand in my pocket, buying merch, even happily paying my tenner for last night's game. I'd certainly not do that if I were a fan of the Tw*ts or nemrous other badly run clubs.

On balance I suspect that if clubs do need a bail out the people to do the bailing are the local communities. Having a pot in effect means having the wider community doing the bailing. Hmmm....

I like the OP's posts but I never had him down as a communist :shrug:

Edit: Perhaps the way to help should be bespoke and voluntary: for example, if Bury (oops - too late) or Oldham or Wigan (errrr...) fall into difficulty, Man U and Man Citeh could help them out if enough ManU and Citeh fans petition their clubs to do so. Likewise if Palace run into trouble, I'm sure that the NSC community would perition Tony Bloom to help out.

Not quite so straightforward, is it? ??? I used to like far left solutions but I'm generally against them these days, no matter how appealing they may appear initially.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
they'll have to do somthing or see dozens of clubs fold, which wont be a good look for the top tier. dont expect the government to bailout clubs, theres a long queue. best they can hope for is holiday on tax and NI.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
it just seems crazy that even we pay a few million on a foreign player only to loan him out again abroad for his development, when that few million could contribute to the survival of all lower league teams who may develop many players for the premier league

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Agree a football wide salary reduction of 20% for every member of the profession earning over £250k. Use the pot to protect the entire pyramid both playing and non playing staff. Just from PL players (not championship) you get 20 teams of 25 man squads = 500. 500*40k per week = £20m per week. Championship @ half of PL gets another £7-10m a week. Then add in management/directors and Gordon Taylor and you’d have a pot north of £6-7m a week. That’ll help keep the pyramid alive.

AND introduce an agent Levy of 5-10% an all income generated

Where do you get your figures from? Are you saying you believe that EPL players are all on about £250 per week which is a long way from the truth. And what exactly i s'500*£40k per week'. Where do you get £40k from?

AND don't you think that an agent levy of 5-10% willmerely inflate prices by the same amount.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Jeez: Liverpool didn't even want to pay their own (non-playing) staff at the start of lockdown: do you actually think they're going to volunteer to pay somebody else's?

As did Spurs, whilst Newcastle and Norwich both used the Furlough scheme to the full. Arsenal took a worthy approach of sacking a load of staff, as they gave a colossal wage increase to a player.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
The best way is for PL to buy domestically, Villa and Palace have invested in EFL injecting 50million. This is more palatable then financing the German League. Liverpool and Man City buying Ake and Sarr (potentially) will also help. This trickles further down the leagues with for example with Brentford buying Ivan Toney. Any money ontributed from PL in a rescue package should be ring fenced for salaries and bills not for buying promotion. Obviously the loan market could be used as a way for PL clubs to help clubs too. Just imagine the fix we would be in if we’re not in the PL.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here