Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Dyche & Lampard On Financing The Lower Teams

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I'm going to play devil's advocate for a bit, just to explore some ideas. First, yes my gut says 'help the smaller clubs' but my brain is saying 'how, exactly?'

First, football is 'businesses in competition', in many respects. Looking at the EPL, it is in competition with the German and Spanish leagues. How? If we start doing badly in the European competitions we will eventually end up like Scotland or Belgium with one place only in the Champions' league, entered via preliminary rounds in August. That will never happen, of course. Why? Because our top ten clubs are so rich, able to spend stupid amounts on players.

But imagine that it did happen. With the EPL on a par with the the Eredvidion (so obscure I can't spell it), the TV money for national league games will fall.

Anyway, there is competition with Europe.

And then your idea that English football is a single business with clubs like ManU dependent on lower league clubs. That's a bit of a stretch. When did they last sign a player from a lower league club? The reality is you could shut all football apart from the EPL, end relegation, and there would still be enough mugs and glory hunters to fill the stadia (when they reopen in 2024) and pay for Sky sports.

I would like to be able to 'see off' Dyche and his selfish pratitudes, and agree with [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION], but any plan for rich clubs to help the poor would need to preclude what others have stated - bunging money to dodgy chairmen so that can overpay overpriced players and (probably) pocket some cash for themselves won't happen.

Football is competition. We like to think about our community and all that, but that is actually part of the marketing. Brighton and Hove Albion and proud. My club makes me feel good - about myself as well as the club. For ManU supporters, the business and the fan demographic are different. Very few, I suspect, among their army of glory hunting hoards across the world give a tiny toss about Oldham, Southport, Wigan and Bury.

The problem is, even if it could be done effectively, rich clubs cannot be made to bail out smaller clubs so, for it to happen, they need better persuasion than the arguments I have seen on this thread. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see a persuasive argument, and would be happy to back it. I simply haven't seen it yet. I would imagine Bumley supporters, even the decent ones (and there are decent ones) probably listened to Douche and nodded in agreement.

So I favour the sentiment and await suggestions of a plan for action, with all the caveats outlined above. I wonder what our resident football finance expert thinks about all this? Calling [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION]

There could be a more equitable distribution of income between clubs, but someone would have to make that decision. Under the present setup of self interest, which is how the PL and EFL are organised that's never going to happen.

The most recent changes (surprisingly unmentioned by a very compliant media) to how broadcast income is split between PL clubs has increased the divide, and that is likely to continue if those clubs get their way in terms of a quasi-closed shop European elite competition.

At present the Premier League contribute to the EFL via solidarity payments (worth £4.5m to Championship clubs each season) and entering the Carabou Cup, which is estimated to be worth over half of the EFL TV deal with Sky.

Tesco's don't help out local grocers, so it's unlikely that Abu Dhabi owned Citeh, Russian owned Chelsea, American owned Liverpool, Arsenal and Manchester United, Bahamas owned Spurs will give a hoot about Morecambe or Accrington.

Any additional money from the PL will come with strings attached, we saw that the last time with EPPP, this time it could be in relation to wage caps in the Championship, making it easier for PL clubs to recruit players from there, a cut down Carabou Cup to allow the elite clubs to play more European fixtures, or support for the PL post Brexit employment strategy.

Last edited:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Create an optional 2% charity payment for everyone involved in the Premier League, from Ref's, players, managers, chairmen and clubs as a whole based on annual income.

All payees can claim a tax relief on that 2% and all of the proceeds get distributed among the rest of the leagues, clubs and players.

I think Europe's top leagues should band together and put pressure on UEFA to mandate an across the board temporary player pay cut of at least 20%. Many countries are running something similar to furlough in the real world, employees in our real world are on reduced pay, if it was done on a blanket % basis for all clubs from top to bottom, it would ease pressure on the club's at the top to pay from reduced income and the club's at the bottom who are already skint...... Cossested football players want to live in a bubble where they're immune or choose there own salary reduction terms or even none at all as many shamelessly do...... And if it's not done across the board some may becry breach of contract and move....... Players should do the same as society and at every level of the pyramid a blanket % makes that relative to present income/outgoings (like us in the real world) and will help the club's out at every level with desperately needed funding.

It isn't just reduced income from covid causing this pressure, still to many greedy players not doing their bit and they all should.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There could be a more equitable distribution of income between clubs, but someone would have to make that decision. Under the present setup of self interest, which is how the PL and EFL are organised that's never going to happen.

The most recent changes (surprisingly unmentioned by a very compliant media) to how broadcast income is split between PL clubs has increased the divide, and that is likely to continue if those clubs get their way in terms of a quasi-closed shop European elite competition.

At present the Premier League contribute to the EFL via solidarity payments (worth £4.5m to Championship clubs each season) and entering the Carabou Cup, which is estimated to be worth over half of the EFL TV deal with Sky.

Tesco's don't help out local grocers, so it's unlikely that Abu Dhabi owned Citeh, Russian owned Chelsea, American owned Liverpool, Arsenal and Manchester United, Bahamas owned Spurs will give a hoot about Morecambe or Accrington.

Any additional money from the PL will come with strings attached, we saw that the last time with EPPP, this time it could be in relation to wage caps in the Championship, making it easier for PL clubs to recruit players from there, a cut down Carabou Cup to allow the elite clubs to play more European fixtures, or support for the PL post Brexit employment strategy.

Thanks for your time and thoughts. Appreciated. :thumbsup:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Football has been dead for years. Like a chicken with its head cut off, it keeps running.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Did you miss my dig at Palace being a lower league club?

Yes I did. I sat there for a bit, and convinced myself that Palace must have bought him from Southend or someone :facepalm:

Good jape, though :lolol: :thumbsup:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

Maybe I am misreading it but surely that is what Dyche is saying and he didn't rule out helping.

Maybe there should be something like the Carbon Offset which would allow some of the richer clubs to spend even more as long as they gave similar overspend to a fund to be shared out lower down.

But as HWT has said the issue is how to regulate the lower clubs and the way they spend it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here