Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Dyche & Lampard On Financing The Lower Teams

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It should be noted against the backdrop of Burnley in talk with an American Investment group at present.

It takes a lot to get me wound up, but I've lost a lot of respect for Sean Dyche after this. Lampard, however, gets it. Some will remember how long they spent in the lower leagues and, if I recall correctly, nearly fell out the league in the late 80s.

Sean Dyche said on potentially bailing out lower league clubs: “If the Premier League can do their bit to enhance the chances of other teams surviving possibly they may step in but does that mean every hedge-fund manager who is incredibly successful does that – filter down to the hedge-fund managers who are not so successful?

“Does it filter down from the restaurants, so the ones who are surviving can look after the ones who are not surviving?

“You can’t just measure football on its own – there are lots of businesses out there that are making huge sums of money who could therefore protect businesses in their line of work who are lower down in their business streams.

“If you are going to apply it to football, you have to apply it across the country to everyone and every business, then you have a balanced and fair look at it. I don’t think you can just say it is good for football. If football can spread it around, there are other businesses that are incredibly successful who can all spread money around.”

Frank Lampard says it is important for the Premier League to support EFL clubs financially as some continue to struggle during the coronavirus pandemic.

Lampard said: “I think it’s important that the Premier League as a collective looks at supporting the EFL, the leagues below and grassroots football, absolutely.

“That’s the base of why we’re all here. I started and [a lot] of the young players started in Sunday league football. I’ve managed in the Championship. I understand a lot of the difficulties clubs are having, so I think there certainly can be a conversation.

“I can’t go too political because I don’t know enough about the numbers, but I do think clubs in the Premier League and the Premier League themselves have a heart. They understand and I’m sure as we move forward they will be making positive moves on that front.”

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I totally agree with the top division helping out the lower leagues. A lot of the future stars kicked off their careers at your average clubs like crewe, orient and leeds

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Some dumb ass shit from Dyche.

"Everyone else is cocksuckers, so we deserve to be cocksuckers as well!" is lousy.

A better perspective would be: "yes of course we should help out, and the same goes for all the wealth hoarding hedge fund ****tards as well".

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
My favourite response in Twitter:

'Hedge fund managers are not pillars of their community with a history dating back to the 19th century'

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Some dumb ass shit from Dyche.

"Everyone else is cocksuckers, so we deserve to be cocksuckers as well!" is lousy.

A better perspective would be: "yes of course we should help out, and the same goes for all the wealth hoarding hedge fund ****tards as well".

Crudely put. But I'm with you on this.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Football is largely unsustainable. The reason for that is players wages, it is simple. Find a way to reduce players wages and the reliance on 'financing' other teams disappears. Clubs should be fairly self-sustainable based on the incomes they received (TV money, cup money, gate revenues, sponsorship etc.)

What good would the Premier League 'financing' the lower leagues do? It just means they'll use that to keep paying big wages at ANY level. None of this fixes the issue

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Dyche's words are obviously bollocks, sport is a different ecosystem from normal business - same tired old argument that, for example, likens expectations of entertainment at matches to going to the cinema - and it wouldn't make a jot of difference if PL clubs clubbed together to keep dozens of small clubs in business.

Although I wonder if his words reflect fatigue at football/footballers being lazily singled out and held to a higher standard on societal issues. Players - rather than the most grotesquely rich - should take paycuts and be paid less than nurses etc etc.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You'd think Dyche would have more of a handle on lower league football clubs and finances than Lampard would. What an utter bell.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Dyche reminds me of another crappy northern town, Bolton.

Bolton when in the Premier league - "let's make this a closed shop, abandon relegation and keep all the money ourselves"

Bolton after relegation - "can we have some money please?"

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Burnley is a despicable club from top to bottom.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I honestly didn't expect Dyche to come out with that carp - Football is nothing without the pyramid beneath the top, every club has been on its arse at some point in the past and every club will again at some time in the future. Is he so stupid that he doesn't realise that if we really want to go with every man for himself, Burnley (and Brighton and loads of others) are going to suddenly find themselves short of a few gazillion as the top 6/7/8 take all the cream?? What a twunt.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Football cant be compared to other businesses that are in competition with each other. Football is a single business not like McD and Burgerking who are competitors. In many cases the Premier League rely on the lower leagues to provide them with the product/stock to run their clubs

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
heard just now that the film industry is setting up a hardship fund, the big studios putting up cash for out of work actors and production crew. football might have to look at similar, or wait for a government hand out to keep clubs alive. i expect dozens to fold otherwise.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
All the time clubs pay a player £600k a week football clubs will live on the brink, there needs to a serious think about the wage structure across all leagues in professional football across the globe.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Create an optional 2% charity payment for everyone involved in the Premier League, from Ref's, players, managers, chairmen and clubs as a whole based on annual income.

All payees can claim a tax relief on that 2% and all of the proceeds get distributed among the rest of the leagues, clubs and players.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Dyche is just the football equivilant of a dinosaur who was fortunate enough to be taking a dump in a cave when the meteor hit.

A few seconds either way and he'd be managing Kettering Town part-time in the Unibond Southern Counties Combination (Div III) and selling replacement windows. Cock.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
All the time clubs pay a player £600k a week football clubs will live on the brink, there needs to a serious think about the wage structure across all leagues in professional football across the globe.

I doubt much will happen. Just like when the gladiators of the Roman Empire and the athletes of ancient Greece grew in wealth and importance, its the sign of a civilisation falling.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here