Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] A thread full of now defunct Tour Operators/Airline that you travelled with

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'm stunned that people can remember what airlines they flew with. I've been racking my brains and from hundreds of flights, all I can come up with is

Young World - A brighton based cheap version of Club 18-30 that took me to Greece in 1979
An airline with zebra stripes on the tail fin that took me to Kenya in 1990

And that Dan Dare hosties were generally 'friendlier' than BCal ones, but BCal ones had better parties :wink:

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Dan Air
Intasun
Lancaster

For any NSC'er under 25 years of age, forget the Seven Wonders of The World, the Hotel Don Juan in Lloret De Mar has to be seen to be believed.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
g-bjze-cal-air-international-mcdonnell-douglas-dc-10-10_PlanespottersNet_977014_e9279ed4f5_o.jpg

Cal-Air DC-10. Flew on this to Portugal when I was a young teen.

558.png

Monarch Boeing 757. Flew on this to Crete a few years later.
Gone are the days, but I managed to go into the cockpit on both of these while we were flying. Always wanted to join the fleet air arm from an early age (which never happened) so I was fascinated by anything to do with flying. In my 40's now and don't think I'll ever get to cross piloting a plane off my bucket list, probably my biggest regret.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Overland Holidays
Clarksons Holidays
Courts
Dan Air
Wardair
Air Europe
British Caledonian
Brittania > Thomsons (now Tui)
Monarch

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Flew to Malaga on a Dan Air Comet in 1972 and a Dan Air 737 in 1986/7.
Cal Air to Majorca 1985
Sable Airways 727 to Crete in 2000 (shit aircraft/airline and spartan accomodation but two weeks in the sun paid for by working a couple of shifts over the minnellium)

So.CalGull

Sep 28, 2010
Orange County. California.
Technically not a defunct airline, but one that disappeared for a while.

Late 1988, First ever trip to New York and the States in general. Flew Kuwait Air to JFK after the plane had landed at Gatwick on a stop over, 99 pounds for a return trip and I was one of about 3 westerners that got on at Gatwick. A massive culture shock to my very inexperienced knowledge of the world 18 year old brain. With prayers half way through and watching my neighbor in the seat next to me eating the inflight meal in a very slidy foil tray with one hand, and a pin dropping moment for the rest of the plane when I asked for a beer at trolley drinks time.

Less than 18 months later Iraq invaded Kuwait, here is an excerpt from the LA Times in 1991:

"According to Kuwait air officials, the Iraqis stole trucks, forklifts and most of the airline’s spare parts. In addition, officials said, the Iraqis made off with 15 of Kuwait Airlines’ 23 planes. Many of the planes, were repainted with Iraqi colors and logos. The eight planes still in the carrier’s possession--four Boeing 747s, three 727s and one 767--happened to have been out of the country when the Iraqis landed. To restore its operations completely, Kuwait Airways must reassemble a fleet.

Faisal Alzaid, the carrier’s regional manager for Europe, said in an interview in London that five of the stolen jets, all made by Airbus, are known to be in good condition in Mashhad, Iran, near the border with the Soviet Union. During the war, news reports quoted sources who said some Kuwait Airways jets spotted in Iran were painted with military camouflage to make them look like Iraqi military planes flown to Iran. Alzaid said Kuwait Airways planes have also been sighted in Tunisia, Algeria and Mauritania.
"

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Dan Air (Once on an HS 748 to Jersey in high winds. That was fun)
Air Europe
Britannia
Peoples Express
Laker
TAA (Australia internal carrier)
Arrow Air (Long gone US carrier. Dodgy)
Pan Am
GB Airways.
NAC (New Zealand internal carrier)

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Gatwick Handling was more than a baggage company, I worked for them on the Ramp looking after different airlines. They were 50% owned by Laker with Dan Air owning the other 50%. When Laker went bust Northwest Airlines (now part of Delta) bought their 50%. When Dan Dare when bust, Delta bought the other half. Eventually they became Aviance.

I had a spell with them in the 80's. Strange company at times. Angus the governor eventually left to help start up what was Air 2000, taking along a load of his favourite cronies. Around 15 years ago, we heard he'd passed away. The news went around former employees. It wasn't until five or so years ago, somebody found out he was alive and well and living in Canada.

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
Flew to Edmonton Alberta in this in 1976

ward 1.jpg

It developed a fault for the return journey so they substituted the 707 with this

ward 2.png

Had a whole row of seats to sleep on.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I have never been on a package holiday or used a tour operator. I'm unaware of any airline I've flewn with having gone under ( air fungus, BA, Lufthansa, Virgin, Quantas and AA still going ) Have always done my own thing.

a few ferry operators have gone/changed. As well as vehicle manufacturers!

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
Dan Air
Air Europe
Pan Am
TWA *
Northwest Airlines *
British Caledonian
US Air *
British Midland *
British Mediterranean *
British West Indies Airlines
Continental Airlines
Deutche BA
SkyKing (Turks and Caicos) *
* = airlines also worked with.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Gatwick Handling was more than a baggage company, I worked for them on the Ramp looking after different airlines. They were 50% owned by Laker with Dan Air owning the other 50%. When Laker went bust Northwest Airlines (now part of Delta) bought their 50%. When Dan Dare when bust, Delta bought the other half. Eventually they became Aviance.

I was baggage handler with them, early 90's. Really enjoyed the job.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Technically not a defunct airline, but one that disappeared for a while.

Late 1988, First ever trip to New York and the States in general. Flew Kuwait Air to JFK after the plane had landed at Gatwick on a stop over, 99 pounds for a return trip and I was one of about 3 westerners that got on at Gatwick. A massive culture shock to my very inexperienced knowledge of the world 18 year old brain. With prayers half way through and watching my neighbor in the seat next to me eating the inflight meal in a very slidy foil tray with one hand, and a pin dropping moment for the rest of the plane when I asked for a beer at trolley drinks time.

Less than 18 months later Iraq invaded Kuwait, here is an excerpt from the LA Times in 1991:

"According to Kuwait air officials, the Iraqis stole trucks, forklifts and most of the airline’s spare parts. In addition, officials said, the Iraqis made off with 15 of Kuwait Airlines’ 23 planes. Many of the planes, were repainted with Iraqi colors and logos. The eight planes still in the carrier’s possession--four Boeing 747s, three 727s and one 767--happened to have been out of the country when the Iraqis landed. To restore its operations completely, Kuwait Airways must reassemble a fleet.

Faisal Alzaid, the carrier’s regional manager for Europe, said in an interview in London that five of the stolen jets, all made by Airbus, are known to be in good condition in Mashhad, Iran, near the border with the Soviet Union. During the war, news reports quoted sources who said some Kuwait Airways jets spotted in Iran were painted with military camouflage to make them look like Iraqi military planes flown to Iran. Alzaid said Kuwait Airways planes have also been sighted in Tunisia, Algeria and Mauritania.
"

Done Kuwait to New York, what I could not understand was the fact that the in-flight entertainment was in English with Arabic sub titles, would have thought it would have been other way around. They weren't to had in fact, little off putting the prayer before take off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here