Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] A thread full of now defunct Tour Operators/Airline that you travelled with

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I went to a four star hotel in Palma de Mallorca for my 21st birthday with Clarksons flying on Court Line for the grand total of £29 pp fully inclusive for 3 nights.

No wonder they went bust, at those prices!

Come on, NSC loves a where I’m going on holiday thread so let’s have a where I went on holiday with a now defunct Tour Operator/Airline :smile:

Fills in time whilst waiting for our Marquee signing :wink:

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
!998,Airtours. Gatwick-Bahrain- Singapore- Sydney. Return for £345.00 Delayed on the return ,24 hours in Sydney and then 12 in Singapore.Both time got put up in top hotels,all meals and drinks and then on arrival at Gatwick every passenger on the plane got an envelope with£150.00 in it.Realistically,Australia and back for £195.00- Happy days!

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
what a depressing thread especially as this industry is on its knees

Thread starter is a travel agent so well aware of the current situation :smile:

Meant to be a light hearted thread for some travel stories :shrug:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Think our family went on our first family holiday to the Med with Danair. That'll be the flight where as we just crossing the French-Spanish border our mum looked out the window and yelled excitedly to the whole plane 'LOOK! THERE'S THE ANDES!' :facepalm:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
No idea on the costs as I was just a wee bairn, but went on hols to Mallorca in the early 80s with my mum and dad on Laker Airways. Good old Freddie.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Think our family went on our first family holiday to the Med with Danair. That'll be the flight where as we just crossing the French-Spanish border our mum looked out the window and yelled excitedly to the whole plane 'LOOK! THERE'S THE ANDES!' :facepalm:

I am not a fan of flying. Once went with Dan Air to Ibiza on a very early morning flight. I have no idea of how these things work but they had to what looked like jump start the plane from a van to the engines which were near the tail plane. I also had a seat with the window blanked out. Shat myself the whole flight.

Dan Air were also responsible for failing to get my son on a flight as a 12 year old unaccompanied minor. You can imagine my wife’s reaction when the flight arrived and he wasn’t on it! Days before mobile phones so the airline took an hour or so to find out that he hadn’t been boarded at Gatwick

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I went on a family holiday to Toulouse in 1992 (well, we flew in there, holiday was in Pau) on Dan Air on a BAC One-Eleven. This was quite exciting for me, as the One-Eleven was the first plane I went on, on a trip to Gatwick for a mate's birthday party in 1982 (his father was a pilot for British Caledonian). We also got to go on a DC-10, which was due to go to Atlanta, but had a problem and had been brought back into the hangar. The striking thing to me was just how big the First Class cabin was. Most airlines only have about 10 seats in the nose, but theirs seemed to occupy almost a third of the aircraft. Dan Air merged with British Airways later in 1992.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
1975, Torremolenos, Freddie Laker;s Skytrain dc10 while he was waiting for his US routes to be allowed.

Music City Gull

Not Changing This, Bozza
Jun 28, 2020
12 South
Easy. Hooters Airline. The restaurant chain tried an airline for a few years when I was in my late teens. Offered a $99 round trip flight from Atlanta to Myrtle Beach that my friends and I thought we were the kings of the world taking. Looking back - what a funny business decision by them to even try it.

43900882174_830bf3be93_b.jpg

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Went on a few school ski trips in the early 80’s with a company called Schools Abroad who iirc were based in Brighton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No idea on the costs as I was just a wee bairn, but went on hols to Mallorca in the early 80s with my mum and dad on Laker Airways. Good old Freddie.

My first ever flight as a nipper was with my family to go and visit their friends in Germany. I can't remember who we flew with ourselves (the cheapest one knowing my family) but walking round Gatwick, Laker's giant mush was EVERYWHERE. Then the plan taxied off and we lined up alongside a big orange coloured plane flown by Big Orange. Or so I thought. It was actually one plane operated by Braniff according to Google.

https://www.yesterdaysairlines.com/airline-history-blog/big-orange-braniff-747s

I've also forgotten who flew us to Ibiza on a lads' holiday when I was 20 but I do remember a massive ruck kicking off on our flight home because this gang of chavvy drug dealers had taken over the smoking section even though their boarding cards were in the non-smoking section. How do I know they were dealers? Because they spent most of their time, when not smoking, fighting or giving the steward homophobic abuse, talking about how many pills they's sold. Old Bill straight on at Gatwick and another short ruck and some handcuffing.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Flew to Japan on Sabena World Airlines in 91, via Moscow. Busy going, empty on the way back. Had 4 seats to lie across and sleep :)

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
I've done a few but off the top of my head is Dan Air, Monarch, Astraeus and an Irish one called Jet Magic. There's possibly more but that I can't remember

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I am not a fan of flying. Once went with Dan Air to Ibiza on a very early morning flight. I have no idea of how these things work but they had to what looked like jump start the plane from a van to the engines which were near the tail plane. I also had a seat with the window blanked out. Shat myself the whole flight.

Dan Air were also responsible for failing to get my son on a flight as a 12 year old unaccompanied minor. You can imagine my wife’s reaction when the flight arrived and he wasn’t on it! Days before mobile phones so the airline took an hour or so to find out that he hadn’t been boarded at Gatwick

Last flight I took was with Dan Air in 1991 ..Gatwick to Belfast n back....never again :moo:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here