Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Wells and Finch to leave

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Sussex have released Harry Finch and Luke Wells.

Can't say that either is a surprise given that Wells couldn't get into any team this year and Finch has had multiple chances. I'm sure Wells will find another county - he was top scorer in English cricket just three years ago, he needs a fresh start. I can't see Finch as a f/c cricketer though. I wonder who else is on the way out?

I'm surprised that Dizzy made the decision though, couldn't they have waited for a new coach?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Can't say that either is a surprise given that Wells couldn't get into any team this year and Finch has had multiple chances. I'm sure Wells will find another county - he was top scorer in English cricket just three years ago, he needs a fresh start. I can't see Finch as a f/c cricketer though. I wonder who else is on the way out?

I'm surprised that Dizzy made the decision though, couldn't they have waited for a new coach?

This has been coming for a while now. Feels like Sussex are in financial trouble, so need to release any players not likely to feature.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Wells was talked about in England terms a few years ago and under a new coach could have refound his form. Letting him go now just feels very odd

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I think they were 2 of a handful of our players that didn't get drafted for that Hundred nonsense. If that goes ahead next summer, with the players as chosen this year, Coles and Crocombe are going to be 2 of the most experienced players in our squad for whatever's going on during the Hundred.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

To state that Wells 'couldn't get in' to any team, implying that it was a merit-based decision, is not really at all fair. Gillespie made his choice, to sideline a couple of our few actual adult cricketers and loan out a few more, and to focus entirely on youth development for a year (T20 aside). Wells was a victim of that forced revolution - it is no reflection on his ability.

Some of his public reaction to the situation, has probably not helped matters - but then, perhaps he knew what was coming.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Do you own a cricket bat?
Do you live within 2 hours drive of Hove?

If the answer to both is "Yes", have you considered an exciting opportunity to play as a batsman for a county cricket team?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Must be a financial decision by Sussex to release Wells. I'm sure he'll be snapped up by another county though if he wants to keep playing cricket for a living.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Some of his public reaction to the situation, has probably not helped matters - but then, perhaps he knew what was coming.

We also don't know what happened behind the scenes. I can understand Gillespie wanting to give youth a chance but they needed some experience to guide them and Wells would have been ideal, I suspect there's more to this than meets the eye.

Remembering what happened with his dad, history appears to be repeating itself.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Obviously reluctant to stick the boot into a young player but I thought Finch was never up to scratch. Wells might be more a case of seasoned pro needing a new challenge, who could end up playing another 10 years if sufficiently motivated.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Very sad day for Wells, he’s been excellent for Sussex. Form over the last three years hasn’t been great, but he was outstanding for many years. Finch has done okay, but at his age he should be starting to excel by now. I think we’ve seen the best he can give, which isn’t consistent enough. Good luck to both, hope they find a new county.

I’d be very surprised if Sussex haven’t already got the next coach in mind though, I doubt this decision came solely by the outgoing Gillespie.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Very sad day for Wells, he’s been excellent for Sussex. Form over the last three years hasn’t been great, but he was outstanding for many years. Finch has done okay, but at his age he should be starting to excel by now. I think we’ve seen the best he can give, which isn’t consistent enough. Good luck to both, hope they find a new county.

I’d be very surprised if Sussex haven’t already got the next coach in mind though, I doubt this decision came solely by the outgoing Gillespie.

I spoke to someone at a wake the other day (funny that) and he thought Mark Robinson would be coming back, with a 5 year project on the agenda.

The guy at the wake is quite well connected in local cricket so maybe there is something in it?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I spoke to someone at a wake the other day (funny that) and he thought Mark Robinson would be coming back, with a 5 year project on the agenda.

The guy at the wake is quite well connected in local cricket so maybe there is something in it?

I know nothing of any rumours but that wouldn't shock me - Robbo's still well regarded at Sussex. I know that a few supporters want Grizzly to come back but he's not set the world on fire with his coaching.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Really sad this has not worked out for these two local breed players. Either could be picked up and do well in another set up. Sad day.

Have enjoyed watching them both immensely. If it wasn't for the financial disaster on the horizon. Both may have stayed.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I feel like Wells has more to give but maybe he needs a change of county to get that new impetus.
Finch comes across as a tryer and a good guy. In that sense it is sad news. He has at least been given a chance though, several in fact, which is more than many get.
Like everyone else here, I’m sure, I hope both get fixed up elsewhere.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Really sad this has not worked out for these two local breed players. Either could be picked up and do well in another set up. Sad day.

Have enjoyed watching them both immensely. If it wasn't for the financial disaster on the horizon. Both may have stayed.

It may feel like it hasn’t worked out for Wells based on his release but he’s had a decent decade at the club, one he can be proud of.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Joke decision. Wasnt given one game despite our top order failing all the time. Only 29 and has I think scored 18 100s

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here