Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Are there any non-stick pans that actually last??

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
After buying 2 new non-stick frying pans through John Lewis in June, they are both already starting to stick, so I am sending them back and looking for some that will actually last.

I always wash them carefully, don't over heat and don't use metal utensils but despite claims the non-stick never seems to last. Happy to pay more for one that does rather than re-buy every year.

Anyone have a make / supplier they would recommend?

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
After buying 2 new non-stick frying pans through John Lewis in June, they are both already starting to stick, so I am sending them back and looking for some that will actually last.

I always wash them carefully, don't over heat and don't use metal utensils but despite claims the non-stick never seems to last. Happy to pay more for one that does rather than re-buy every year.

Anyone have a make / supplier they would recommend?

In the finest NSC tradition.....

I gave up on nonstick years ago. I much prefer stainless steel or an iron skillet. They don't pretend to be non-stick, but if you use them at the right temperature and a decent oil, they are not bad at sticking. And you can give them a bloody good scrub when washing up.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
BergHOFF. Expensive, but my non sticks are still good ten years later.

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
In the finest NSC tradition.....

I gave up on nonstick years ago. I much prefer stainless steel or an iron skillet. They don't pretend to be non-stick, but if you use them at the right temperature and a decent oil, they are not bad at sticking. And you can give them a bloody good scrub when washing up.

I only buy stainless steel now after living with Brazilians who would use metal forks in the pans despite being told multiple times not too.
They also use expensive chef knives to open cans instead of a can opener so all the ends are bent or broken.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Circulon ones are pretty good. We've had ours for a few years and they're almost as good as new. Can go in the oven too.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
As Gok Wan once said: You only ever need two things for cooking - a wok and (I think) a metal ladle.

He also said: “That looks absolutely fabulous, darling”

Wok, ladle, candy pink or baby blue sling-backs, job done.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Circulon ones are pretty good. We've had ours for a few years and they're almost as good as new. Can go in the oven too.

Non stick are shit. Go for anodised. I have a wok + frying back from Circulon and they are good, so I even got some baking trays which seem indestructible.

Also recommend a good cast iron skillet or similar for cooking steaks or similar. Need looking after but they will last forever

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I spent good money on a Le Crueset non stick fry pan some years ago . . . didn't last, I've resigned to using a waitrose/John Lewis one and replacing every year

my favourite is a very well seasoned old Le Crueset iron fry pan my mum gave me when I left home, it remains superb.

most things don't stick if you ge the oil/heat right.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
I've gone for some cheapo Scoville Never Stick pans from Asda. Had them 2 and a half years now and one of them survived boiling dry without any damage. For the £30 I paid for them if I have to replace them tomorrow it was worth it.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
As Gok Wan once said: You only ever need two things for cooking - a wok and (I think) a metal ladle.

He also said: “That looks absolutely fabulous, darling”

Wok, ladle, candy pink or baby blue sling-backs, job done.

Joking aside, the wok and metal ladle requires a particular technique. The ladle never touches the wok, to dish out you flick the wok so the food is tossed up and catch it in the ladle rather than letting it fall back into the wok. Easy with a bit of practice but essential to protect your pan(s).

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
I only buy stainless steel now after living with Brazilians who would use metal forks in the pans despite being told multiple times not too.
They also use expensive chef knives to open cans instead of a can opener so all the ends are bent or broken.

Having gone out to Brazil for work a number of times, this totally makes sense.

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
Having gone out to Brazil for work a number of times, this totally makes sense.

It's very frustrating that they mostly have no respect for quality items or other people's possessions and use whatever is to hand rather than the correct tools. Dinner knives as screwdrivers is another example of many.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I had one of those hard anodised (analon?) pans given to me by a friend who was a cookware rep.
I thought I was treating it carefully but trashed coating within year.
I think non stick pans are for people who don't really cook.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
we have an all-clad rissotto pan, which I think is a nickasil coated aluminium, same as a 2 stroke barrel! its brilliant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here