Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Further Transfer Business

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Whilst I rhink our transfer business is done bar Zeqiri ( or similar ), I do think that come transfer deadline day there will be a significant number of clubs desperate to get players off the payroll...

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2018
Can’t see us signing Origi we need more goals, this fella hardly scores don’t think he netted last season.

I would see him as contributing to more team goals (hold up play, outlet) whilst bagging c10 himself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Absolutely - there's got to be a saving of, what, c. £200k pw between all of the outgoing players?

AK, Stephens, Murray, Mooy, Montoya, Duffy & Locadia must all have been on a fair whack, so if they average out at £30-35k per week, it soon adds up (though I believe we're still paying half of Duffy's?). That's over £10m saved for the year.

And over the last 12months and during this summer - we've given lucrative new contracts to the likes of Dunk, White, Alzate, Lallana, Veltman and Connolly.
The u23/u18s incoming transfer budget isn't trivial and has been carrying on at pace and Knockaert is still our only big sale since Ulloa and the costs of servicing that loan "squad" of 30+ players must be considerable.
My hunch is the size of registered players will go up again this summer, the wage bill will inevitably go up despite everything - and the size of the first team squad will be no different to previous seasons which implies more incoming although bringing through youth / loans reduces our reliance on that market.
Also We "lose" players from the wage bill *every* season - Bruno, Hemed, Bong, Knockaert, Suttner last summer for example - its just we're hurting and noticing more this season given its the class of 16/17 .

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
12 days left on this window.

Outgoings: Stephens, Murray, Duffy, Montoya, Knockeart, Button, Mooy, Locadia, Clarke few other youngsters out on loan.
Incomings: Lallana, Veltman and return from White and Molumby from loan spells and a few for the development squad.

Surely we've saved a fair bit on the wage bill and we've only spent £900,000 so far on first team players. Not entirely sure how much we've gained from transfers out but guessing we're currently in decent profit.

Widely reported we're looking to bring in a striker and left wing back possibly a defensive midfielder too if Molumby goes back out on loan. Bernardo and March have also been linked with moves away.. The latter I doubt we'd let go.

Anyone got any predictions on how this is gonna go? I'm happy with the current squad but it does feel like we're slacking a little bit.. Hoping we don't get rid of anymore players squad starting to look a little bit thin.

At this point in time Dale Stephens is still our player,I can't see him going,and certainly not to Burnley.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Out of interest how did you get to this figure?
It's pretty much what you get if you take the sale/loan fees for Murray, Duffy, Montoya, Knockaert, Button, Mooy, Locadia and Clarke, and subtract the purchase fees of Veltman, Weir, Dendocker and Van Hecke.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Izqueirdo back can be a new signing compared to last year too.

We 100% need a forward.

I’d be fine if propper was sold and we bought in a real defensive midfielder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
I seem to be in a minority but I think our prudence could be disastrous.

Long term injustices to Maupay and Bissouma and we are so short in those positions. Connolly and Molumby are not even close to being ready to be starting every week.

We are well covered at centre half, Fullback, wide men and attacking midfield.

But we are at a critically low level up front and defensive midfield. It would be such a waste if this promising start is thrown away by being just too reluctant to invest.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Origi or Brewster IN as the striker £14mil or £20mil reportedly

Sessegnon IN as the LWB - loan with option to buy

Net spend will be very little, if anything. Wages will be less. Fans will be happy. Squad will be looking good. Everyone’s a winner. If only it was this simple - or is it Mr Barber...?

I think those transfer as well as maybe Zaqiri or similar very cheap Striker/Winger punt would certainly allow me to realistically hope for a top ten finish. Add a fully fit Izquierdo to that and then a reborn Andone for Christmas and we’re looking at a very very exciting squad and season.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
We have a very talent squad of players and seemingly youngsters who are beginning to challenge our more experienced players for a spot in a matchday squad. It will be very difficult to keep a 25 man squad of experienced players happy but 20+ a few young prospects could be much better in the long term.

Another striker is probably required if we plan to play 2 up front regularly this season but with Gyorkeres and Andone we have options.

This summer could well be the ideal time to pursue a loan or two if we don't feel we have the required level of talent in the corresponding position within the U23's. But I would only be moving experienced players on if we have the prospects waiting for the chance

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
I seem to be in a minority but I think our prudence could be disastrous.

Long term injustices to Maupay and Bissouma and we are so short in those positions. Connolly and Molumby are not even close to being ready to be starting every week.

We are well covered at centre half, Fullback, wide men and attacking midfield.

But we are at a critically low level up front and defensive midfield. It would be such a waste if this promising start is thrown away by being just too reluctant to invest.

Prudence ? Our wage bill , and spending / fees and losses over the last few years is nowhere near - compared to clubs run by oligarchs or nation states maybe - and this year we’ve continued in that vein. New contracts, refusing to sell key players - a loan squad to rival Chelsea - and still 10 days of business left.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
List of Liverpool’s most prolific goal scorers of the 21st century;

(Goals per 90)

1) Mo Salah: 0.69
2) Fernando Torres: 0.67
3) Daniel Sturridge: 0.66
4) Luis Suarez: 0.65
5) Michael Owen: 0.61
6) Robbie Fowler: 0.59
7) Divock Origi: 0.53
8) Sadio Mane: 0.52

And in context Liverpool create tons of chances and he only managed 4 goals last season ??? Going to a side who will create a quarter of chances compared to Liverpool it’s not looking that good is it? I might be wrong just can’t see him signing.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
The Dries Mertens who was converted into a central striker and then scored 34 goals for Napoli in 46 games?

More similar to him than Eden Hazard, Thorgon Hazard probably the most comparable. That napoli side quality though, with Insigne as well.

The point is Trossard might be a natural finisher but playing through the centre on his own probably not ideal. Jahanbaksh or even Alexis would make more sense.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here