Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Further Transfer Business

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
All we're doing is replacing older back up players with younger, fitter and hungrier back up players.

All well and good but it needs to be the right time. Experience is just as important as having younger fitter players. Veltman and Lallana bring the balance.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
Absolutely - there's got to be a saving of, what, c. £200k pw between all of the outgoing players?

AK, Stephens, Murray, Mooy, Montoya, Duffy & Locadia must all have been on a fair whack, so if they average out at £30-35k per week, it soon adds up (though I believe we're still paying half of Duffy's?). That's over £10m saved for the year.

Paying a third of Duffy's I read on here.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Completely different types of players. Trossard is not a striker and I don't think he could adapt to that position. The only way I think it could work if we lost both of our strikers is playing without one. Like a del Bosque side.

He plays similar and has been likened to Eden Hazard, He didn't do too bad in the Premier League for a non striker?

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Completely different types of players. Trossard is not a striker and I don't think he could adapt to that position. The only way I think it could work if we lost both of our strikers is playing without one. Like a del Bosque side.

Ah, so there may be a plan. Not so awful after all.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
He plays similar and has been likened to Eden Hazard, He didn't do too bad in the Premier League for a non striker?

Hazard you mean the winger? Who's also one of the best players in the world and not a striker.. What's the point here?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Are you sure about that? His wiki page ain’t all that. Think some fans are kidding themselves tbh.

List of Liverpool’s most prolific goal scorers of the 21st century;

(Goals per 90)

1) Mo Salah: 0.69
2) Fernando Torres: 0.67
3) Daniel Sturridge: 0.66
4) Luis Suarez: 0.65
5) Michael Owen: 0.61
6) Robbie Fowler: 0.59
7) Divock Origi: 0.53
8) Sadio Mane: 0.52

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Hazard you mean the winger? Who's also one of the best players in the world and not a striker.. What's the point here?

The point is you don't need to covert Trossard in to a striker as he plays the same position and plays similar to Hazard? Chelsea done pretty well with him when they lacked strikers like we can with Trossard?

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
Are you sure about that? His wiki page ain’t all that. Think some fans are kidding themselves tbh.

His goals per game ratio looks crap because he's mostly brought on for the last 10 minutes. His goals to minute ratio works out pretty consistently at one goal every two games.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Still pretty awful. Bottom half side with only 2 first team strikers isn't great.

Glass half full, eh?

As many others have suggested, 'tis the time to be canny. Spending shedloads could be far more awful than going with our present strike force. Look at the way the second team performed last week - in a year's time, with some good loan experience for some of them, they will be even better. IF we do go down (which I don't think we will with our current squad) we could sell half our first team star players and still be very competitive in the Championship.

The only position I would be worried about is DM without both Stephens and Molumby.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
The only player to have left which has possibly weakened us is Duffy. He was the best attacker of the ball defending corners. Not sure we have equivalent cover.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Just on wages, we've given new contracts to White and Dunk, (probably others, I forget) and I doubt Lallana comes cheap, so we're almost certainly paying more than last year, despite losing Muzza and potentially Stephens

But we’ve actually lost:

Murray
Button
Duffy
Stephens

Probs the best part of £225k per week there and expect modest uplift for Dunk, reasonable for White and yes taken on Lallana but doubt that does anything other than say £125-150k per week which frees up space for a ST on £40-50k and probably still saving money.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
The point is you don't need to covert Trossard in to a striker as he plays the same position and plays similar to Hazard? Chelsea done pretty well with him when they lacked strikers like we can with Trossard?

Hazard is one of the best players in the world and is good as Trossard is he's nowhere near that level. Hazard could play striker although he himself said it was strange and he didn't feel comfortable there because he runs between lines, takes players on. Trossard to me is more similar to Dries Mertens. I think there's a massive risk playing Trossard upfront that he becomes secluded and not involved at all. I'm liking Trossard where he is on the side drifting into dangerous positions around the box.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
If Maupay and Connolly get injured before the new year, then I would expect Ali J Trossard or Ali Mac to cover them.
If after that then we may have Andone as an option.

There is also Gyokeres who may or may not be able to step us to this level.

Totally agree with this excellent post.

Its quite amusing isn't it ! Some people talk as if we are not allowed to play another player if a striker get's injured. Honestly it isn't and won't be the end of the world.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Hazard is one of the best players in the world and is good as Trossard is he's nowhere near that level. Hazard could play striker although he himself said it was strange and he didn't feel comfortable there because he runs between lines, takes players on. Trossard to me is more similar to Dries Mertens. I think there's a massive risk playing Trossard upfront that he becomes secluded and not involved at all. I'm liking Trossard where he is on the side drifting into dangerous positions around the box.

The Dries Mertens who was converted into a central striker and then scored 34 goals for Napoli in 46 games?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Origi or Brewster IN as the striker £14mil or £20mil reportedly

Sessegnon IN as the LWB - loan with option to buy

Net spend will be very little, if anything. Wages will be less. Fans will be happy. Squad will be looking good. Everyone’s a winner. If only it was this simple - or is it Mr Barber...?

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Can’t see us signing Origi we need more goals, this fella hardly scores don’t think he netted last season.

You might want to look that up before making such a bold statement... (hint: his goal return last season was more than 0).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here