Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Orient v Spurs called off...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Tuesday's Carabao Cup tie between Leyton Orient and Tottenham Hotspur has been called off because a number of O's players have coronavirus.

Several members of Orient's first-team squad returned positive tests after Saturday's draw against Mansfield.

Discussions are ongoing over the implications of not holding the third-round match on Tuesday, with a further update to be provided in due course.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Unfortunately the cup games will be a risk as while the PL teams seems to have strong regimes in place for testing and (if necessary) isolation, the same can't be said of the lower leagues.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Tuesday's Carabao Cup tie between Leyton Orient and Tottenham Hotspur has been called off because a number of O's players have coronavirus.

Several members of Orient's first-team squad returned positive tests after Saturday's draw against Mansfield.

Discussions are ongoing over the implications of not holding the third-round match on Tuesday, with a further update to be provided in due course.

Has been reported that they had as many as EIGHTEEN positive tests (staff and players).

Suggestions they will have to forfeit the match (and £100k TV money) and their place in the competition. Not really possible to put it back two weeks, as the competition will be on to the fifth round by then.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Has been reported that they had as many as EIGHTEEN positive tests (staff and players).

Suggestions they will have to forfeit the match (and £100k TV money) and their place in the competition. Not really possible to put it back two weeks, as the competition will be on to the fifth round by then.

On that basis you wonder why it’s taken for the official announcement to be made

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

Seems harsh, I am sure they catch up before the final is played!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Yeah - I posted about that this morning. Really problematic with Operation Warp Speed Carabao Cup, obviously. League games would have some wiggle room, I guess.

I'm not suggesting it will be called off, but I did speculate on another thread yesterday that if (when?) clubs suffer widespread outbreaks that either means they can't field a side, or that side is significantly weakened, it could threaten the integrity of the competition. What happens then?

Pretty much, by way of coincidence, what may happen for one of tonight's games: https://talksport.com/football/efl/...-leyton-orient-18-positive-coronavirus-tests/

Cup games are slightly easier to deal with. Given the fourth round is scheduled for next week, I can only guess that Spurs must be given a by to the next round or the whole competition may come unstuck. But what happens for league fixtures, particularly money-laden Premier League fixtures?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

I'm sure I read that Tottenham were happy to hand over the TV money if they are waived through. But I have no original source for that.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This has just highlighted Spurs' (intended) fixtures to me...

22/09 - Orient
24/09 - Shkendija (Europa League)
27/09 - Newcastle
29/09 - Chelsea or Barnsley (Carabao Cup)
01/10 - Europa League fourth round (if they beat Shkendija)
03/10 - Man Utd

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Seems harsh, I am sure they catch up before the final is played!

It does seem very harsh. I can see why it is such an issue though. Spurs also have Europa League matches (Macedonia this Thursday) cluttering up their schedule, to consider.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I'm sure I read that Tottenham were happy to hand over the TV money if they are waived through. But I have no original source for that.

I'm sure Harry Kane would be an advocate for that

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

22/09 - Orient
27/09 - Newcastle
03/10 - Man Utd

This is just crazy

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yeah - I posted about that this morning. Really problematic with Operation Warp Speed Carabao Cup, obviously. League games would have some wiggle room, I guess.
Yes I'm sure the League have got a protocol all laid down so that it's clear, and firmly in this seasons regulations and endorsed by the clubs, what will happen when a team cannot play a fixture because of coronavirus ............................

.....Oh. Oh? Surely they must have........

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Unfortunately the cup games will be a risk as while the PL teams seems to have strong regimes in place for testing and (if necessary) isolation, the same can't be said of the lower leagues.

There is no requirement for regular testing in the EFL like there is in the Premier League, which seems crazy. Most clubs are doing health questionnaires daily with players which is when several Orient players reported symptoms, Spurs apparently paid for the club to get everyone tested.

Original reports said the game would be awarded to Spurs but that doesn't seem to be the case now. Spurs fixtures are hectic with the Europa League fixtures (possibly) on the next two Thursdays. Next weeks 4th round is the last round of the League Cup until 22nd/23rd December so that seems plenty of time fit in the 3rd and 4th round games if they don't award it to Spurs, and there doesn't seem to have been any complaints about the prospect of playing 2 midweek games over the next couple of weeks from Spurs so surely they'll be up for playing the game at a later date.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Surely there won’t be any TV money if it’s not on?

I'm guessing it meant the TV money that would have been.

But, again, I have no original source so can't confirm.

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex

22/09 - Orient
27/09 - Newcastle
03/10 - Man Utd

That is brutal. Travel to take into consideration too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here