Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter and his trust in youth

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Do 90mins employ Brighton fans, they are always very Positive about the Albion. Although thats no bad thing its not really replicated outside of their articles which leads me to believe they have a few people who support the club to write about us.

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
Do 90mins employ Brighton fans, they are always very Positive about the Albion. Although thats no bad thing its not really replicated outside of their articles which leads me to believe they have a few people who support the club to write about us.

I believe the person who wrote that is the person behind (or one of) 'WeAreBrighton' - so he is a Brighton fan, yes.

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
Great piece from the 90mins stable on Potter's trust in youth vs Hughton's reticence to give them a chance: https://www.90min.com/posts/trust-i...aspect-of-graham-potter-s-brighton-revolution

Thanks. Good article. I was wondering if Potter's success is making it harder for Hughton to get another job. Teams are increasingly focussing on youth, whether home-developed or bought in. You wonder how chairmen are asking why Hughton didn't use the talent it is now clear is in the academy. He did a great job for us but maybe he's just from a passing generation that will struggle to get new positions.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Thanks. Good article. I was wondering if Potter's success is making it harder for Hughton to get another job. Teams are increasingly focussing on youth, whether home-developed or bought in. You wonder how chairmen are asking why Hughton didn't use the talent it is now clear is in the academy. He did a great job for us but maybe he's just from a passing generation that will struggle to get new positions.

Depends what you are after and what you are looking to achieve.

There will always be teams who crave some stability, defensive solidity, a crack at promotion from the Championship. I would say if those are things you are aiming for then Chris is your man, I can't think of anyone better.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there

Chris must also wince, if he ever watches Brighton on TV, when the commentator inevitably makes the obligatory mini-speech about Potter being asked to bring in a more exciting and expansive style of play than his predecessor. I mean, it's accurate, but it does gloss over Chris's many managerial qualities and slightly devalue the CV.

I reckon he'd be a good fit at Forest, for example.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Chris must also wince, if he ever watches Brighton on TV, when the commentator inevitably makes the obligatory mini-speech about Potter being asked to bring in a more exciting and expansive style of play than his predecessor. I mean, it's accurate, but it does gloss over Chris's many managerial qualities and slightly devalue the CV.

I reckon he'd be a good fit at Forest, for example.

I saw some Pompey fans online debating Hughton recently. One of them said he (?) didn't want Hughton as he was a dull manager.

Ha. What Pompey would give for a manager of his quality. I'd like to think he considers them way beneath his level anyway. It's a shame how it ended with us, as he's been rather tarred with the dull football label now. I can't help feeling if he'd been fired mid-season, with us struggling, that wouldn't have happened.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
90min always seem to be one of the more positive and knowledgeable football media outlets. Compared to most they focus on the other 14 not just the big six. Good article.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Excellent article on GP and the yoofs.

Hughton was the man who got us to the Premier and kept us there. There was some great football in the championship but, once in the premier we had to be conservative in order not to go straight back down the way so many 'exciting' teams promoted from the Championship have and he achieved exactly what was asked from him.

An incredibly brave (and starting to look genius) decision from TB to try and move the club on, sadly that meant that CH had to go, despite being one of our most successful managers ever.

It now seems that for lots of people that the better GP is the worse CH must have been. But it was different times, teams and situations.

I think (and hope) that the vast majority who watched CH at the Albion from beginning to end think differently :albion2:

el punal

I saw some Pompey fans online debating Hughton recently. One of them said he (?) didn't want Hughton as he was a dull manager.

Ha. What Pompey would give for a manager of his quality. I'd like to think he considers them way beneath his level anyway. It's a shame how it ended with us, as he's been rather tarred with the dull football label now. I can't help feeling if he'd been fired mid-season, with us struggling, that wouldn't have happened.

I have also read a few posts from Pompey, most stating that ‘no Jackett required’, au revoir and all that. I do tend to think our westerly (east for me!) neighbours have ideas above their station. Since their demotion to the third division they have, year in year out, been predicted for promotion. It hasn’t happened and as each season goes by that task will get tougher - not good news for the best supporters in the world.

With regard to Chris Hughton I thought he was wonderful for the Albion from when he started in January 2015 right through to May 2018, having survived our first season in the Premier League. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, something was definitely missing the following year. For me the writing was on the wall after the Fulham debacle when we lost 4-2 after being comfortably on top at 2-0. From there on in we just got progressively worse culminating in the holy trinity of horror, the home defeats to Southampton, Bournemouth and Cardiff in short order. It must have been then, if not well before, that Tony Bloom had decided that Chris could not take the team any further forward.

I predicted after the Cardiff fiasco that Hughton would resign at the end of the season and that Knockaert would be on his way. It gave me no pleasure that I was right (sort of) on both counts.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Excellent article on GP.

Hughton was the man who got us to the Premier and kept us there. There was some great football in the championship but, once in the premier we had to be conservative in order not to go straight back down the way so many 'exciting' teams promoted from the Championship have and he achieved exactly what was asked from him.

An incredibly brave (and starting to look brilliant) decision from TB to try and move the club on, sadly that meant that CH had to go, despite being one of our most successful managers ever.

I now seems that for lots of people it seems that the better GP is the worse CH must have been.

I think (and hope) that the vast majority who watched CH at the Albion from beginning to end think differently :albion2:

Absolutely! We defiantly were not boring to watch in the championship when we won promotion. CH did a fantastic job and we would blow some teams away. In the Premier league we would start the season having a go but when it did not work he went to a must not lose approach and at the end I do think it affected the players. I remember see Lewis Dunk looking at the bench and giving a WTF type of gesture. CH will always have my up most respect for what he did for this club. If we return to watch games and he comes back with another team I expect there will be nothing less the a standing ovation at the Amex.

Saying all that I am loving the way we are playing at the moment in the three games I have seen this season. I have been so impressed. I just wish we could be at the matches to cheer our team and these players, they have been magnificent so far.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Absolutely! We defiantly were not boring to watch in the championship when we won promotion. CH did a fantastic job and we would blow some teams away. In the Premier league we would start the season having a go but when it did not work he went to a must not lose approach and at the end I do think it affected the players. I remember see Lewis Dunk looking at the bench and giving a WTF type of gesture. CH will always have my up most respect for what he did for this club. If we return to watch games and he comes back with another team I expect there will be nothing less the a standing ovation at the Amex.

Saying all that I am loving the way we are playing at the moment in the three games I have seen this season. I have been so impressed. I just wish we could be at the matches to cheer our team and these players, they have been magnificent so far.

I really want to see CH get a job that gets him that well deserved standing ovation at the Amex.

Unfortunately we'll beat them but I will be first up and last down for the ovation :wink:

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

i suspect it would. remember all those narch fans coming on here; warning, telling us exactly what did actually happen

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
All the (relatively) young players Hughton signed played shite under him. He was happy enough to play Solly and Dunk quite regularly though.

Just because he loaned out two good prospects (Connolly and Alzate) for experience it's become a PR job against him playing youngsters. Nobody criticised Potter for loaning out Ben White did they?

Not sure why people are so determined to rewrite the Hughton regime. He was absolutely brilliant until it went wrong in the last 6 months

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 2719

What a wonderfully written piece.
Potter is creating a team I always dreamed of at the Albion. I saw and hoped the same was happening with Wilkins. Unfortunately, that went tits up.
I said Hughton was not the manager for the Albion very early doors, and I got abuse.
Yes, he got us promotion, but god he was an incredibly frustrating and a predictable manager from my point of view.
I know Potter is in his infancy as the Albions manager, but our long term future looks so promising and exciting, I just can't wait to see where we will be in 3 years.

Bloom is always bold but enterprising in what he does, my type of man.

:bowdown:

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
What a wonderfully written piece.
Potter is creating a team I always dreamed of at the Albion. I saw and hoped the same was happening with Wilkins. Unfortunately, that went tits up.
I said Hughton was not the manager for the Albion very early doors, and I got abuse.
Yes, he got us promotion, but god he was an incredibly frustrating and a predictable manager from my point of view.
I know Potter is in his infancy as the Albions manager, but our long term future looks so promising and exciting, I just can't wait to see where we will be in 3 years.

Bloom is always bold but enterprising in what he does, my type of man.

:bowdown:

Oh piss off.

"Yes, he got us promotion, but".

Have a word with yourself. Two of the greatest seasons in the clubs history to get into the Premier League. So predictable

D

Deleted member 2719

Oh piss off.

"Yes, he got us promotion, but".

Have a word with yourself. Two of the greatest seasons in the clubs history to get into the Premier League. So predictable

You have your point of view and I have mine.

I personally would have preferred 3rd tier football played in the right way and unpredictable and youth coming through the ranks, it was always going to be more sustainable.

Hughton was out of the Harry mould, but less exciting and we all know where pompey are now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here