Anthony Knockaert
Locadia
Bissouma
Izquierdo
Maty Ryan (25)
Goldson
Duffy
Dan Burn (25)

All players in their low/mid 20s signed by Hughton and I'm sure there were others. Yeah some are shit but that's what happens when you have a 'recruitment team'.

But Because Alzate, Connolly White have matured under loan spells it's been rewritten that Hughton only ever played Stephens, Bruno and Murray.

Adam Webster is the perfect example. Potter buys him, puts him in the team and it's seen as a great example of Potter putting his faith in youth. 24 when he made his debut. Exactly the same as Shane Duffy when he came in, but he was never considered a youngster was he.

Potter is building a brilliant, young side under the Ashworth project. That doesn't mean the need to rewrite history about Hughton.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
All the (relatively) young players Hughton signed played shite under him. He was happy enough to play Solly and Dunk quite regularly though.

Just because he loaned out two good prospects (Connolly and Alzate) for experience it's become a PR job against him playing youngsters. Nobody criticised Potter for loaning out Ben White did they?

Not sure why people are so determined to rewrite the Hughton regime. He was absolutely brilliant until it went wrong in the last 6 months.
Yes, he was pretty much brilliant, up until the last few months - but TBH, it wasn't just youngsters he didn't want in his team - he was also pretty reluctant to accommodate new players, even if they'd cost £10M - £15M, at least until he'd seen them in training for months.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
He was also pretty reluctant to accommodate new players, even if they'd cost £10M - £15M, at least until he'd seen them in training for months.

My god this used to frustrate the hell out of me.

That and never a substitute before 70 minutes unless forced, regardless of how the game was panning out.

I loved Hughton, particular in the Championship, however if Potter is the ying, Hughton is most definitely the yang.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Thanks. Good article. I was wondering if Potter's success is making it harder for Hughton to get another job. Teams are increasingly focussing on youth, whether home-developed or bought in. You wonder how chairmen are asking why Hughton didn't use the talent it is now clear is in the academy. He did a great job for us but maybe he's just from a passing generation that will struggle to get new positions.

Yep. Like me.
Although, thankfully, I haven't been sacked yet.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My god this used to frustrate the hell out of me.

That and never a substitute before 70 minutes unless forced, regardless of how the game was panning out.

I loved Hughton, particular in the Championship, however if Potter is the ying, Hughton is most definitely the yang.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Different fixtures and fittings now. Upholstery. Mood lights. Tropical fish.

Now, I can't remember the last time I thought 'We're plucky, but we are operating at 120% for 95 minutes just to look like half a top flight side and mug some sleepwalkers like Arsenal'. And that was the best I felt under CH.

Now, it's a bit like you were twelve back then, and you suddenly realise that now you're 16, with a beard and a massive cock. :mad:

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Yes, he was pretty much brilliant, up until the last few months - but TBH, it wasn't just youngsters he didn't want in his team - he was also pretty reluctant to accommodate new players, even if they'd cost £10M - £15M, at least until he'd seen them in training for months.
Players he played straight after signing (once fit) - Ryan, Gross, Propper - not to mention before that, Murray Baldock Kayal Hemed Bong Knockaert.

The reason he didn't chuck most of the latter signings is because they for the most part were no good. Locadia, Andone, Schelotto, Ali J...Potter hasn't used them or got rid too...

Only real exceptions then are Burn (who Potter has only played out of position) and Bissouma (a youngster when signed who didn't become a regular until a few months ago)...

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here