Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] 10PM pub closing. what will people do ?

what will people do ?

• Drink less

Votes: 31 26.7%
  • go out earlier

Votes: 85 73.3%

• Total voters

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I did see something recently that suggested only 5% of COVID cases could be traced back to 'hospitality' industry

Only 1 in 20 then!!! So, did it say where the other 95% have been contracted. Could be the vast majority are in hospital or care homes so wouldn't expect them to close at 10!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Everyone will not only be drinking earlier. They will now all be leaving the pubs at the same time, rather than in staggered waves between 10 & 1. Upon leaving, having hammered it for the last hour, they'll definitely be in the best condition to make good decisions about social distancing and what to do next. They'll all just don masks and walk quietly home in groups of less than six.

If only we had nearly a hundred years evidence of the impact of limiting licensing hours, they could have taken it into account before making another haphazard decision to keep trying to look like they're in control of something that they have had no clue how to deal with at any point during the year.

This whole crisis has been an illustration of the need for evidence based policy formation unhindered by ideology, but we are as far from that as we have ever been.

If the pubs can only do table service then they won't be packed!!

Seems a bizarre move, which will hit the industry at a time when it was slowly starting to recover. That said this is the Gov't who told us to stay at home and then by staying home we were lazy and not supporting businesses - so go back to the office. They also said if you needed a test go and have one. Now they are telling us off for trying to get tested and they now want us to stay at home again - presumably they didn't like our less lazy selves going to offices and buying sandwiches?

Mixed messages? Guided by 'the science'? Or perhaps knee jerk & incoherent strategy trying to cover up for the less than world beating test and trace system failure. The key is to hit out and blame everybody else - all rather Trump like.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Last time I was in a pub past 10 was early February.

Doesn't seem much point in going to the pub at the moment. no gigs, can't sit at the bar and natter.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
With a 20-something still at home... They will start the same time and pace as 'normal' then just move to another location afterwards, probably someone's house/flat. So same number of people, smaller, more confined space. Great.

If the pubs are closing at 10pm, why the f**k are they open in the first place. If it isn't safe at 10:01 how was it safe at 9:59?

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I would stop showing live football in pubs, really cant see how social distancing can be maintained when that is on. Perhaps have a staggered opening times 12pm - 3pm. Open again at 8pm- 11pm. Perhaps earlier times for those that prepare meals

Having said all that - I would allow spectators into football grounds. If indoor workplaces can be made "COVID-Secure", then so can football grounds. Of course fans would need to play their part, but it would be easy to register and any person that flouts would face a ban. Outside is safer than inside.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Apparently Belgium did a 10pm closing rule and it made a difference to case numbers. That's where it has come from I think.

Main impact is on young people who would otherwise be out on the razz until the early hours.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
With a 20-something still at home... They will start the same time and pace as 'normal' then just move to another location afterwards, probably someone's house/flat. So same number of people, smaller, more confined space. Great.

If the pubs are closing at 10pm, why the f**k are they open in the first place. If it isn't safe at 10:01 how was it safe at 9:59?

Without wishing to pick on you, this isn't about it being safe at 21:59 but not at 22:01 in the same way that it's clearly not the case that "the virus stops at the school gates".

It's about finding a range of measures that, when combined, keep viral spread at a low and manageable level whilst trying to enable as much economic and social activity as possible to continue.

With a virus that spreads from person to person, every single social interaction we have has some risk attached to it - it's as simple as that. I believe the goal is to find a level of measures that hits that sweet spot of viral containment and minimal economic and social disruption. This means as many people as possible retain employment, as many business as possible keep their heads above water (possibly with state aid) and health services are not over-run with Covid-19 care and can attend to all their BAU activity.

I've no great insight into the 10pm ruling, but I'm pretty sure I've read about several other countries also putting similar rules in place, so I'd assume there is some collective belief of the expected benefits it brings.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'd love to know just how much the Eat Out To Help Out scheme or whatever it was called has added to the spread.

033ab6de2af39f24819e8955b52c4b5b33b9be0c.jpeg

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
People are pretty adaptable. If 10pm closing is The New Normal then so be it. They'll soon adjust. Tho it shouldn't then be legal to buy alcohol elsewhere beyond 10pm. Sounds draconian? Not half as draconian as the countries, many of them in northern Europe, where the drinks fridges in supermarkets are literally chained up from about half six at night :eek:

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I'm waiting for Killer Whale to come along now and explain that the word "curfew" comes from the French "couvre-feu", along with a selection of other French, Latin and Greek phrases to explain i) how Leeds are rightful Everlasting Champions of Europe, ii) Bielsa is God and iii) Ben White has ruined his career and wasn't that great anyway.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I would stop showing live football in pubs, really cant see how social distancing can be maintained when that is on. Perhaps have a staggered opening times 12pm - 3pm. Open again at 8pm- 11pm. Perhaps earlier times for those that prepare meals

Having said all that - I would allow spectators into football grounds. If indoor workplaces can be made "COVID-Secure", then so can football grounds. Of course fans would need to play their part, but it would be easy to register and any person that flouts would face a ban. Outside is safer than inside.

Have you been to a pub since lockdown to watch the football?

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I take your point. But, there is a balancing act here between spreading the virus and having some form of economic activity. Clubs will go to the wall very soon - I think it better that people can sit outside - spaced apart rather than in a pub all pi$$ed and not social distancing in any shape or form.

If meeting up before and afterwards is the problem, then close pubs in the immediate area before and after matches

I think the scientists have concluded it's people meeting up after (and before the game) that they can't control. That's my take on it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here