Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Coronavirus: Plans for fans to return to sport events in October called off

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Given the events of this week this is understandable. That said having attended the Chelsea game I genuinely believe it would be safe to have a limited number of fans at the Amex for matches this season. I certainly think that L1/L2 and the National league should also be allowed to have up to say 1000 spectators in attendance. It is perfectly possible to socially distance in these circumstances and it brings in meaningful revenue for teams at that level.

Black Hill

Banned
Apr 24, 2020
On BBC this morning Michael Gove all but ruled a reintroduction of spectators in October.

Gove all but ruled out a return of fans to stadiums any time soon. Maybe a clearer picture will be announced this evening.
Gove said we will have to look closely at how we can delay that.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Seriously things are not going to get any better as the autumn / winter progresses. Sadly in my view I think the chances of us getting back to the Amex before next spring are looking remote.

Ironically I've just had an email this morning for one of my planned concerts in February next year now being delayed again until the end of 2021 (citing Covid and the inability to have effective social distancing), so it's sounding doubtful as to the likelihood of any large gatherings happening anytime soon. It's tough enough for us in the Premier League but how are the lower leagues going to survive?

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I'd be amazed if there are any in anywhere this side of Easter 2021

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Given the events of this week this is understandable. That said having attended the Chelsea game I genuinely believe it would be safe to have a limited number of fans at the Amex for matches this season. I certainly think that L1/L2 and the National league should also be allowed to have up to say 1000 spectators in attendance. It is perfectly possible to socially distance in these circumstances and it brings in meaningful revenue for teams at that level.

I agree, if the bars were closed. However I'd say the concourse at half time and before the match were a bit risky. Either lower numbers even more or close the bars. That's the bit that worries the Government.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
EDIT - threads got merged

Ethelwulf

Apr 6, 2020
West Worthing
Micheal Gove the worst kind of Politician.

Don’t understand why they can’t let small crowds in as Albion proved when 2,500 people attended the Chelsea friendly .

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Could the spread of the virus again potentially see a halt to any sports continuing on into the winter? I know Prem clubs players are getting regularly tested but with the lower leagues testing 'at their discretion' and seeing what has happened at Leyton Orient, if things were to get significantly worse could the season be in jeopardy again?

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
By next year, plans to reduce number of matches will naturally happen. Not quite the way it was intended though. Doesn’t this underline the madness that players are still being bought and sold for tens of millions, with wages following closely. You can see why PL clubs need the furlough scheme...

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Because it's not safe. :shrug:

I mean, this.

There is a global pandemic. It's been handled pretty poorly and we are seeing the inevitable second spike. I love the Albion and miss going every week but if it is a choice between watching it on TV and making sure that me and my loved ones (and for that matter, anyone I might come into any contact with) are safe, or putting everyone at risk by mixing with 2,500 other people; it's a bloody easy choice.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Does this also apply to Steps 3 & 4 in non-league who have started and already have some crowds back? If The National League isn't going to start at all without fans allowed, I can't see how the season can continue down the pyramid, let alone further up it who need crowds in to do so. I dread to think how many clubs will go to the wall.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
By next year, plans to reduce number of matches will naturally happen. Not quite the way it was intended though. Doesn’t this underline the madness that players are still being bought and sold for tens of millions, with wages following closely. You can see why PL clubs need the furlough scheme...

It's okay. The EPL can give the £200m to the lower leagues that's needed to cover their losses without crowds.

That's £10m per club, or one Neymar. Or five Joelintons...

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Does this also apply to Steps 3 & 4 in non-league who have started and already have some crowds back? If The National League isn't going to start at all without fans allowed, I can't see how the season can continue down the pyramid, let alone further up it who need crowds in to do so. I dread to think how many clubs will go to the wall.

A large majority will IMO, while certain players can wander around the golf course, wonder what the part time players of the lower leagues will do to supplement their income, its not as if there are plenty of jobs around.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I agree, if the bars were closed. However I'd say the concourse at half time and before the match were a bit risky. Either lower numbers even more or close the bars. That's the bit that worries the Government.

I was seated at the South Stand end of the ESU and the occupancy level in that section was sufficiently low for it not to feel awkward. If you were allowed to take a beer back to your seat before or after the game this would also alleviate concourse occupancy.

I have to say I think the level they struck for that game was just about right, any more and it may felt more oppressive. I think 1-2000 per stand is manageable though. If they decided to shut the concessions to make it happen I'd accept that but I felt it did work well

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Because it's not safe. :shrug:

I mean, this.

There is a global pandemic. It's been handled pretty poorly and we are seeing the inevitable second spike. I love the Albion and miss going every week but if it is a choice between watching it on TV and making sure that me and my loved ones (and for that matter, anyone I might come into any contact with) are safe, or putting everyone at risk by mixing with 2,500 other people; it's a bloody easy choice.

These. I'd rather everyone I cared about was still in a position to go to the Amex again in 2022 than jeopardise their health because I was desperate to see them again in 2020.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here