Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] All Change for ... Brighton. 1980 BBC2 documentary

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I have seen a few old videos about Brighton crop up on here but hadn't seen this one until it came up on my suggested list on Youtube last night. It is a lament about the change in Brighton by Jack Tinker, an arts critic for the Mail and Argus. Loads of footage on the decaying West Pier as well as North Laine area. Probably has been on here before but even if it has, I can't be the only one who had seen it before.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Don't think I've seen that before . . .when my parents split up, we lived in a house on Foundry street for a few months, a few doors down from the pub, not long before this film, all looks very familiar!

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Great little film.

"Robin Maugham was giving a little supper party for Hermione Baddeley, and the Oliviers popped in..." He's like a Fast Show character :laugh:

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
This has now produced a couple more short ones from Youtube recommendations with a low number of views so these may be new on here as well.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
This has now produced a couple more short ones from Youtube recommendations with a low number of views so these may be new on here as well.

In the 1st video, at 3:47 there is a graffiti on a wall in The Lanes which reads "The West is White"... what can that mean?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I have seen a few old videos about Brighton crop up on here but hadn't seen this one until it came up on my suggested list on Youtube last night. It is a lament about the change in Brighton by Jack Tinker, an arts critic for the Mail and Argus. Loads of footage on the decaying West Pier as well as North Laine area. Probably has been on here before but even if it has, I can't be the only one who had seen it before.

Unbelievable that it was being mooted in the 40s to knock down the Royal Pavilion to build some furkin FLATS.

FFS Brighton :facepalm:

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
Blimey! no health and safety on the trains back then.
Nope, I remember late one night getting to the platform at Southwick station just as the train started moving. I ran, opened the door and almost slipped under but just managed to haul myself in.
I was probably around 17/18 and stupid but never did it again

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Nope, I remember late one night getting to the platform at Southwick station just as the train started moving. I ran, opened the door and almost slipped under but just managed to haul myself in.

My mate decided to jump off the train at Shoreham whilst it was still doing about 30 . . . He didn't look so clever the next morning. went to college with a lad who stuck his arm out the window Vyvian style, never saw it again.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
If he was as depressed as he sounds about Brighton as it was THEN, imagine what he'd think about the place NOW :eek:

Edit: he also seems to have a very strange fascination with car parks :lolol:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In the 1st video, at 3:47 there is a graffiti on a wall in The Lanes which reads "The West is White"... what can that mean?

Are those ladies sunbathing naked in the second video there? Seems a little bold, bearing in mind they don't appear to be on the nudist beach :ohmy:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

I was travelling back to Brighton one Christmas Eve when a drunk fell against one of those slam doors and it opened - as the train was bombing along at 60mph. Fortunately, the bloke next to him grabbed him before he fell out. I've no idea whether he'd opened it deliberately or it was an accident but I bet it sobered him up.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If he was as depressed as he sounds about Brighton as it was THEN, imagine what he'd think about the place NOW :eek:

Edit: he also seems to have a very strange fascination with car parks :lolol:

I think he'd more approving. There are at least some concerted attempts to keep traffic down and reduce car use. The pier has regained its rightful name, the Pavilion looks good, North Laine has gone through a complete transformation and most other old buildings have been saved.

He'd regret the West Pier of course and the fact the Hippodrome hasn't reopened but Brighton has done OK in the last forty years - most of the damage was done in the 60s and 70s

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here