Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] This PL season so far

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
1) 18 games played so far.....7 home wins....11 away wins.....No draws.
2) 67 goals scored ( average almost 4 per game )
3) 3 goals or more have been scored 13 times in 18 games.
4) 14 players have already scored 2 goals or more.

Clearly, attack is winning over defence in quite a dramatic way. The average percentages normally seen at this level are...Home wins ( 46.2% ) Draws ( 27.5% ) Away wins ( 26.3% ).
Are lack of crowds now influencing results much more? Are teams taking the lead away from home finding it easier to hold on, with no home crowd encouraging their side to get back in the game. Is there more freedom in play and less fear? Players more comfortable to try things, knowing there are no fans to berate them. Defending, in general, is not very impressive at the moment. Is it that the increase in attacking play is putting them under more pressure and creating more mistakes. Are defenders losing ' the backs against the wall ' mentality often inspired by vociferous crowds.
Games are more open at present. No question.
With the distinct possibility that we may have a whole season like this, largely behind closed doors, then this trend looks likely to continue. Is it too simplified to say that most of it is down to lack of crowds or are we actually seeing a new mindset from a number of managers who are now confident enough to take the game to the opposition, particularly away from home.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
One remarkable stat, completely unnoticed, is that the aggregate of goals scored, matches those conceded.

Amazing! These are unprecedented times!:ffsparr:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
We've won half our games. Carry that on and we'll end the season on 57 points. I'll take that.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I'd say the short summer break and lack of proper preseason is a major factor.

Not sure I'm sold on that argument.
Teams restarted last season on 17th June after about 10 weeks off. They played some friendlies beforehand. They then played a minimum of nine games ( some teams played 12-13 ) over about 6 weeks. A break of about 4 weeks ( although some clubs did play in this period ) was followed by some more friendlies, before the new PL season started.
I struggle to see how any player is not up to speed. We have looked pretty sharp in two games and a lot of teams have hit the ground running. Bielsa had Leeds back in training before any other side and they have come out the traps quickly. I don't believe it was necessary for teams to play 5-6 friendlies because the fitness levels were already there.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
One remarkable stat, completely unnoticed, is that the aggregate of goals scored, matches those conceded.

That'll be BREX ........... COVID-19

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That'll be BREX ........... COVID-19

5G masts, the Chinese are now controlling football scores, with microchips planted in players when they had routine vaccinations.

It must be true, David Icke-mann will write a book about it.

The next step will see the total number of PL wins match the total for losses. You heard it here first.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
From what I have seen there has been some absolutely horrific defending thus far, the Liverpool Leeds game being a prime example. It is fascinating that there have yet to be any draws.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
This weekend there were 44 goals scored in 10 matches - that's the highest ever in a PL round (beating 43 scored sometime in 2011).

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
If the stats are the same in other lockdown countries then your theories might be correct, if not then the trend might be only temporary.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
5G masts, the Chinese are now controlling football scores, with microchips planted in players when they had routine vaccinations.

It must be true, David Icke-mann will write a book about it.

The next step will see the total number of PL wins match the total for losses. You heard it here first.

I think people are ignoring the fact that the team that scores the most goals are winning all the games, think about that for a minute? Most football nets are made in China, a lot of football players eat more healthily these days, eating noodles, and when the players get to the end of their careers they are sent to China for reprogramming, massive conspiracy that we're all ignoring.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Someone on twitter yesterday, pointed out that in 121 top flight seasons, only once before (in 1891/92) has there been no draws after 2 rounds of fixtures.
Which is even more remarkable when you consider the goals scored = goals conceded stat mentioned previously.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here