Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] TV Licencing Sam

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Mrs GB had an Indian "you have had an accident and are entitled to £3000" caller strung along for a good 5 minutes this morning.

I encourage everyone who gets it to waste as much of their time as possible. That way they have less time to call vulnerable old dears.

Indeed. I once spent nearly an hour on a call from someone from "Microsoft" going through some fault finding ( obviously never actually giving them access ). They stuttered when I said I worked for a Microsoft partner and so had access to the Microsoft phone directory and could they give me the name of the department they worked for. It was just so funny when the agent realised he'd been led along - all the effing and blinding etc - I told him he was a grade A **** and that I hoped his mother had disowned him .... all done in an open plan office !

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Has anybody else received emails from an outfit calling themselves "TV Licence - Official" demanding payment of annual BBC TV Licence, as the original payment has not been accepted?

The number one rule is never click on links from emails, use your own bookmarked page.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Indeed. I once spent nearly an hour on a call from someone from "Microsoft" going through some fault finding ( obviously never actually giving them access ). They stuttered when I said I worked for a Microsoft partner and so had access to the Microsoft phone directory and could they give me the name of the department they worked for. It was just so funny when the agent realised he'd been led along - all the effing and blinding etc - I told him he was a grade A **** and that I hoped his mother had disowned him .... all done in an open plan office !

Keeping them on the phone is fun. Another one is after 30 mins to announce you have an Apple Mac

Jul 7, 2003
I've had two different versions of this today - neither of them were remotely convincing.

Surprised that these are getting through the ISPs SPAM filters.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Mrs GB had an Indian "you have had an accident and are entitled to £3000" caller strung along for a good 5 minutes this morning.

I encourage everyone who gets it to waste as much of their time as possible. That way they have less time to call vulnerable old dears.

I’ve tried that but they still seem to have had time to ring Mrs GB :moo:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Has anybody else received emails from an outfit calling themselves "TV Licence - Official" demanding payment of annual BBC TV Licence, as the original payment has not been accepted?

Yep. I had one a few weeks' ago.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I love stringing them along too - but they are changing tack ....

I've had several automated calls from HMRC advising that I have a debt case open and if I don't pay today a warrant for my arrest will be issued, press 1 to speak with an agent [scammer].
Because I've worked for HMRC I know this is not the way their debt recovery team work - but I bet it puts the fear of god into others who don't.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Sometimes, something as simple as just hitting "reply" will give you a massive clue where the scam err I mean email originated. If the scammer really knows their craft you won't be able to tell but most of them are thick as pig sh*t.

It's fun playing with scammers; you can get them amusingly frustrated and waste their time and resources. But be careful if you are going to play with them.

http://www.419eater.com is the place to go for a good laugh at the scammers and important "do's & don'ts" when playing with them.

I took a call at a client’s where a scammer wanted to instantly loan the business up to £10m. I said can’t you make that £20m. He put me on hold “to go and check with a senior director” and came back with a “yes”.

I said they’d need to ring back the next day and ask for our MD (in reality a bookkeeper :lolol:). We wasted their time in subsequent calls, ever more desperate and keen at their end.

Childish I know, but it brings a smile to my face typing this.

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
I too use the Apple line after about a 30 mins. But I find the quickest way to get rid of them or wind them up, is to ask them to hang on and then put the phone next to the audio of a Derick & Clive track about “This bloke came up to me”. Make sure you put it on speaker as the reaction is priceless. Otherwise make tea and when you come back they are usually gone. Which is nice!

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
If the caller says he or she is from Windows I always ask them to come round and quote for double glazing. I suppose one day they will.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I've just had one now.

The source email address is: yamamoto@tdu-chukodoso.com

Tells you all you need to know!

(Genuine emails from TV licencing will end: @tvlicensing.co.uk)

Golden rule: If in doubt, delete. Do not go "clicky" on anything.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Yeah, I had a call the other day requesting payment of the license fee. I thanked him for the call and asked him to hold on a moment while I get my payment card.

20 minutes later the penny dropped I wasn't coming back.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I had a call in the office once about an accident which I claimed was actually my fault. I was still asked for details.

I kept the call running saying how upset my nephew was that his truck had been smashed up. Explaining that it is was manufactured by 'Dinky' (some will remember).

It took some time for the caller to realise. I really should record mine. Apparently I'm rather good at it.

Of course, the other accident I reported was due to some bad food intake and not being able to get toilet on time. I only revealed the details slowly throughout the call.

On the flipside, I fear for older folk. It's a scummy thing to do them.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I've just had one now.

The source email address is: yamamoto@tdu-chukodoso.com

Tells you all you need to know!

(Genuine emails from TV licencing will end: @tvlicensing.co.uk)

Golden rule: If in doubt, delete. Do not go "clicky" on anything.

For me the rule is not to go clicky on anything full stop. The methods are even more refined now.

If I get a mail that I think is plausible I open a new window and head to the site from there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here