Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] TV Licencing Sam

FindonFan

Jul 15, 2014
Has anybody else received emails from an outfit calling themselves "TV Licence - Official" demanding payment of annual BBC TV Licence, as the original payment has not been accepted?

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I watched a lot of Fireman Sam back in the day

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Guess you'll have to pay it again, Sam

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Has anybody else received emails from an outfit calling themselves "TV Licence - Official" demanding payment of annual BBC TV Licence, as the original payment has not been accepted?

I have indeed at the same time as I received emails from a kind bloke in Nigeria, a Fed-ex bill for a parcel I never ordered and Barclays saying there was an issue with one of my payments ( they kindly provided a link to click which given I don't bank with them I found very thoughtful ).

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
id be wary and contact TV licencing. they do everything by post dont they, so an email is suss. check the link adresses and email are genuine uk gov sites.

though they are moving online, its a bit of worry how easy it will be to spot scams, expensive to send letters rather than email.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
id be wary and contact TV licencing. they do everything by post dont they, so an email is suss. check the link adresses and email are genuine uk gov sites.

though they are moving online, its a bit of worry how easy it will be to spot scams, expensive to send letters rather than email.

On a serious note - TVL ( well Capita actually ) do actually use email to communicate if that's the option you choose but they will always quote your licence number and full name.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
id be wary and contact TV licencing. they do everything by post dont they, so an email is suss.

No, they have made paperless an option a few years back. Not had an actual paper letter from them for a while (IIRC never at our current address, and we've been here over 6 years).

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Sometimes, something as simple as just hitting "reply" will give you a massive clue where the scam err I mean email originated. If the scammer really knows their craft you won't be able to tell but most of them are thick as pig sh*t.

It's fun playing with scammers; you can get them amusingly frustrated and waste their time and resources. But be careful if you are going to play with them.

http://www.419eater.com is the place to go for a good laugh at the scammers and important "do's & don'ts" when playing with them.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Guess you'll have to pay it again, Sam

monty-python-ladies-clapping-o.gif

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
It's fun playing with scammers; you can get them amusingly frustrated and waste their time and resources. But be careful if you are going to play with them.

http://www.419eater.com is the place to go for a good laugh at the scammers and important "do's & don'ts" when playing with them.

A few years ago I got right into baiting scammers and was on 419eater a lot.

Magic Sponge

Jun 17, 2011
House In The Hill

Had a few this year.
When you hover over their Email address it says they are from .be which I believe is Belgium?
I just delete them.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

They are online already, bought my last two TV Licences online with no issues.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Sometimes, something as simple as just hitting "reply" will give you a massive clue where the scam err I mean email originated. If the scammer really knows their craft you won't be able to tell but most of them are thick as pig sh*t.

The youtube channel 'Atomic Shrimp' is well worth checking out if you enjoy scam bating.

His best video (imho) is one where he tells the scammers he already has the money and also picks up on them spelling the surname slightly wrong in one of the early emails and uses that to cause absolute havoc. Deffo worth checking out if you haven't already.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Another way to check things are genuine, they will address you by your full name and not just email name or sir/madam. Or just delete it, if it's genuine they'll soon be in touch again.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Yes. Move them to junk/phishing. They don't appear to return a second time.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Mrs GB had an Indian "you have had an accident and are entitled to £3000" caller strung along for a good 5 minutes this morning.

I encourage everyone who gets it to waste as much of their time as possible. That way they have less time to call vulnerable old dears.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here