Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] PL without spectators

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Is it to early to know if % of points gained home/away is different to average ?
Is TV money payed to PL same without spectators ?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I'd hazard a guess that the away team is performing slightly better overall? simply due to the lack of atmosphere (on the ref if nothing else!)

It certainly seems that way. I'd also suggest more technical teams might be benefitting from this too, us included.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Posted this yesterday - there have been 15 PL games this season. No draws, 5 home wins, 10 away wins.

I'd say that would definitely be well above average for away wins so far, but its an early sample. Dunno about the Restart stats, but I'd wager the home wins were down on average.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Posted this yesterday - there have been 15 PL games this season. No draws, 5 home wins, 10 away wins.

I'd say that would definitely be well above average for away wins so far, but its an early sample. Dunno about the Restart stats, but I'd wager the home wins were down on average.

BBC did a pretty good round up last season. NOTHING CHANGED WHATSOEVER.

Percentage of away wins before lockdown = 40.3%
Percentage of away wins after lockdown = 40.3%

Interesting. So will this season pan out differently from lockdown. May reflect a changing attitude where away teams are going for it a bit more with the freedom of a start of the season, and being free from relegation worries, so far?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I think away teams in a full house are prone to getting seriously spooked with the home team pressing and the home crowd urging them on. Home teams now missing their 'twelfth man'?

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
I also wonder how the referees perfomances differ without home crowds getting on their back.
I thought Palace got quite a few free kick decisions on Saturday that they may not have under normal circumstances at Old Trafford.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I'd hazard a guess that the away team is performing slightly better overall? simply due to the lack of atmosphere (on the ref if nothing else!)

It certainly seems that way. I'd also suggest more technical teams might be benefitting from this too, us included.

I think away teams in a full house are prone to getting seriously spooked with the home team pressing and the home crowd urging them on. Home teams now missing their 'twelfth man'?

You guys realise that some teams didnt even play home & away yet?

16 games is just not nearly enough to make any analysis.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Well if you include the stats from Project Restart at the back end of last season it may well be enough to reach a tentative conclusion tho eh?

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Interesting. So will this season pan out differently from lockdown. May reflect a changing attitude where away teams are going for it a bit more with the freedom of a start of the season, and being free from relegation worries, so far?

Maybe, the overarching analysis over all leagues behind closed doors however, kinda implied that the biggest (regular) factor in deciding a result was the quality of teams on the pitch. Fans didn't really effect that at all.

The only surprising result so far is Palace beating Man U. Other than that it's been par the course.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

I did point out it was an early sample. 2/3rds away wins (with no draws) is quite unusual though, it'll be interesting to see if home advantage is eroded over the coming months, being as there is no chance fans will be back in any numbers till next year, if at all.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
The only surprising result so far is Palace beating Man U. Other than that it's been par the course.

Recent history suggests even that result wasn't that surprising. Palace now unbeaten in last 3 away matches at Utd. W2 D1

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
Off topic, but I'm enjoying the televised games more without crowds. Particularly thankful for the absence yesterday of the continual crowd shots of fat, shirtless, tattooed, ugly Jordies on Sky. And the consequent slight additional match action on MOTD as they were forced to show more of the play to fill the time. Although the banks of empty seats every week brings home the reality and sadness of the situation and what we are all missing in live match attendance.

Also, players don't seem to crowd referees and protest quite as much, so decisions are slightly more correct without the home crowd biasing refs..

Just my opinion that may be wrong - second point at least.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Off topic, but I'm enjoying the televised games more without crowds. Particularly thankful for the absence yesterday of the continual crowd shots of fat, shirtless, tattooed, ugly Jordies on Sky. And the consequent slight additional match action on MOTD as they were forced to show more of the play to fill the time. Although the banks of empty seats every week brings home the reality and sadness of the situation and what we are all missing in live match attendance.

Also, players don't seem to crowd referees and protest quite as much, so decisions are slightly more correct without the home crowd biasing refs..

Just my opinion that may be wrong - second point at least.

i agree on the players not intimidating the referees anywhere near as much. There is also a lot less play acting when a player goes down.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
i agree on the players not intimidating the referees anywhere near as much. There is also a lot less play acting when a player goes down.

I've not seen any stats, but I seem to have noticed fewer bookings than normal as well. Possibly as a result of what you say.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
If or when the crowds are allowed back into the stadiums this season would it be fair that when we play ManU at OT or any other team we have already played, to have a crowd present for the return fixture. Would this seem an unfair advantage to the home/away situation or sod that, a game with a crowd is just what we want. Should it be the same home and away so no advantage from the crowd.

worthingseagull

Sep 28, 2011
If or when the crowds are allowed back into the stadiums this season would it be fair that when we play ManU at OT or any other team we have already played, to have a crowd present for the return fixture. Would this seem an unfair advantage to the home/away situation or sod that, a game with a crowd is just what we want. Should it be the same home and away so no advantage from the crowd.

good point

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Sake, just switch off the lights why don’t you?! :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here