Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] “New” phone for teenager...

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I’m sure this has been done many times before - but current info is needed and hopefully NSC will be indulgent given yesterday’s magnificence...

13 year old Moshe Jnr’s phone is refusing to charge and apparently needs replacing.

With money a limited resource what is the best option?

Last time I went to CEX (in Eastbourne) and got a Samsung for about £120. He’s then on a Sky SIM only deal shared with me that’s cheap. I have also bought a phone for myself at around the same price and ended up with an iPhone that needs constant charging (I keep it connected to a battery pack I have to carry round[emoji23]).

I think I’m happy to pay about £20 a month repeatedly or should I stick with same approach as previously and hope for better luck?

Finally, should I pay for insurance? If so, can anyone recommend a policy?

Thanks in anticipation of any help. I’m sure the necessary experience/knowledge is present here in spades[emoji1696].

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Are you with EE?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No, am with Sky mobile. Also have Sky TV so have deals with them.

My current leaning is towards walking into the Sky shop in Eastbourne and taking their best deal around £20 a month. Quick look online reveals a myriad of phone and contract options. Not yet been able to work out full costs.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I’m sure this has been done many times before - but current info is needed and hopefully NSC will be indulgent given yesterday’s magnificence...

13 year old Moshe Jnr’s phone is refusing to charge and apparently needs replacing.

With money a limited resource what is the best option?

Last time I went to CEX (in Eastbourne) and got a Samsung for about £120. He’s then on a Sky SIM only deal shared with me that’s cheap. I have also bought a phone for myself at around the same price and ended up with an iPhone that needs constant charging (I keep it connected to a battery pack I have to carry round[emoji23]).

I think I’m happy to pay about £20 a month repeatedly or should I stick with same approach as previously and hope for better luck?

Finally, should I pay for insurance? If so, can anyone recommend a policy?

Thanks in anticipation of any help. I’m sure the necessary experience/knowledge is present here in spades[emoji1696].

Look at Motorola G6/7. You can get one new for roughly the same price range as your 2nd hand Samsung.

Android, memory card slot, decent internal memory.
Excellent phone, with one exception. It's all glass, front and rear, and so somewhat fragile if dropped. Plastic cover is, unfortunately, an absolute must.

But it is certainly the most powerful new phone you will get for a decent price.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
echo above, many very good "budget" phones, the specs are what matter not the price.

if you must have a higher spec 2nd hand iphone/samsumg look at Music Magpie as alternative to CEX. batteries are a bit of lottery.

reckon £20 pm for phone and contract is about what your paying anyway.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Have you looked into just getting the phone repaired? It's probably just a broken charging port from being whipped in and out without too much care.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Have you looked into just getting the phone repaired? It's probably just a broken charging port from being whipped in and out without too much care.
Now that is a good question...

I think it is fairly definitely a broken charging port. It used to charge with a bit of a wiggle and just the right position being found but has given up the ghost.

Is the repair likely to be economically viable?

While we're on, the camera on it has gone blurry too... is that likely to be a viable repair?

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

I think it is fairly definitely a broken charging port. It used to charge with a bit of a wiggle and just the right position being found but has given up the ghost.

You could always try one of these first, bloomin' sight cheaper than a new phone

IMG_20200921_084954.jpg

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Sadly phone is too old for wireless charging.

My research on charging port repair suggests it will be quite expensive.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020

While we're on, the camera on it has gone blurry too... is that likely to be a viable repair?

The repair will be cheaper than a new phone for sure. And assuming the camera lens doesn't just need a good clean it sounds like it might work out cheaper in the long run to get a new phone.

If you're in Brighton I've used Techworld on Lewes Road a couple of times who have been very reasonable and helpful. Maybe just take the phone in and they'll quote a repair.

W3 BHA

Nov 16, 2009

Why not have a go at repairing it yourself? You will be able to buy a new charging port very cheaply on ebay, as well as a set of tools if required. There are many videos on you tube showing the whole repair process. There is too much mystique around these kind of repairs - if it costs £90 to send it away and have it done it MUST be difficult. I bit the bullet a while back and, with heart in mouth, had a go. I have now done a few and they've all been successful. What have you got to lose? The phone is not usable anyway so, maybe a tenner? HAve a go!

BTW, exactly the same applies to replacing the battery. Good luck.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
At this price point for a *new* phone, I would avoid Samsung / Sony etc. as they will all have something lacking in their specs (e.g. the Sony linked above only has a 720p screen - yuck!)

I would instead look at Xiaomi - yes a Chinese company, but a very large and reputable Chinese company (10% of the world's smartphones, not far behind Apple). They have a sale on at their UK shop: https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/au...ones-ps279-redmi-9a-ps99-at-xiaomi-uk-3547108

Huawei/Honor is another option, but they have the ongoing difficulties with Google, so might be more problematic.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
We all have Redmis. They are a good phone and really cheap.

Very happy with them.

Skuller

Jun 3, 2017
The repair will be cheaper than a new phone for sure. And assuming the camera lens doesn't just need a good clean it sounds like it might work out cheaper in the long run to get a new phone.

If you're in Brighton I've used Techworld on Lewes Road a couple of times who have been very reasonable and helpful. Maybe just take the phone in and they'll quote a repair.

My iPhone 5 stopped taking charge a couple of weeks ago (forced me into a much-needed upgrade to iPhone 11). I remembered this post. I took the old phone to Techworld in Trafalgar Street. They said the port needed a proper clean, it would cost £10, they'd do it in 15 minutes, and they wouldn't charge me if it didn't work. It did, and I've got my phone back as a spare. Great service. Thanks for the advice.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
My iPhone 5 stopped taking charge a couple of weeks ago (forced me into a much-needed upgrade to iPhone 11). I remembered this post. I took the old phone to Techworld in Trafalgar Street. They said the port needed a proper clean, it would cost £10, they'd do it in 15 minutes, and they wouldn't charge me if it didn't work. It did, and I've got my phone back as a spare. Great service. Thanks for the advice.

Pleased you got such a good result.

I ended up paying £65 for MJ’s phone to be repaired. Happily it included the camera being fixed - so not the worst outcome.

I feel like I know a bit more now for future reference. Insurance is an interesting aspect of getting it right if phone is more decent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here