Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Are players playing with less fear / more freedom without crowds?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
So far this weekend, Everton and Spurs have scored 5, Leeds and Leicester have scored 4, Fulham, Palace and Brighton have scored 3. Is this just an early season abberation or are teams actually finding playing behind closed doors liberating?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Webster pretty much admitted he was playing better without crowds. Understandable when our players are asked to take risks by Potter.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Webster pretty much admitted he was playing better without crowds. Understandable when our players are asked to take risks by Potter.

Yep. Multiple times Potter alluded to the negative home fans and the impact on players. Too many negative know it alls at the AMEX

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Believe we are especially away as we’re the form team. Never thought we’d ever go unbeaten for so many away games in the PL

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Let’s hope supporters take note of this when we’re allowed back into the grounds- those tuts and sighs really do make a difference you miserable buggers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Without the home crowd advantage teams are going away and having a real go which is resulting in lots of end to end matches.

Other noticeable thing is how much the standard of defending has dropped in the league really poor

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Probably good for young players/teams. Old players who are getting used to getting harassed etc probably care less or might even find it a bit harder to motivate themselves.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think the OP makes a fair point. Since returning from lockdown in June, we've played with more confidence and less inhibition. Certainly the 3 performances so far this season by Albion and Albion B have been brimming with purpose, inventiveness, crisp passing and freedom of movement.

Is this aided by not having the GROANS that go up when we lose possession or f*ck things up ? Yeah, I think it probably is. Especially with such a young team out there. Maybe BHA fans are not the "12th man" we'd like to think we are. Maybe when we're there, we just sow the seeds of DOUBT.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

How very dare he.

I know who I'll be booooooing on Saturday.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Without the home crowd advantage teams are going away and having a real go which is resulting in lots of end to end matches.

Other noticeable thing is how much the standard of defending has dropped in the league really poor

The goal kick rule change last year made the life of defenders infinitely much harder. They need to be capable players and they need to defend against more complicated attacks than just a keeper hoofing it over and over.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I would have expected a massive walk out very early had the Toon Army been in

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Looking at the results in the first 2 gameweeks it seems like a lot more goals are rattling in. I'm thinking of shifting the emphasis of my Fantasy Football to cheap as chips defenders, no point in paying out a fortune when no-one seems to keep a clean sheet.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I would have expected a massive walk out very early had the Toon Army been in

Wearing their replica shirts.
Reading their programme
Still eating their concessions pie.
In their finest SolCal jogging bottoms.
Having arrived at the game on the back of the protest march from just round the corner.

Nobody can say they don't HATE Ashley. :rolleyes:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I suspect like most things it has benefits and detriments. There isn't that imposing wall of fans that an attack goes toward, or tries to take a corner in front of, there's no energy and alertness - the cries of 'man on', the sense that if you don't give 100% and chase back and cover, don't close the attacker you're going to hear from the fans. Neither is there the opposites to those - the wall of fans urging their team closer to the goal, the venom and energy that the opposition keeper stands in front of, etc.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I was just wondering if its simply a case of, everyone is 'lets come out guns ablazing' and see what happens . . . . . After 5 or 6 games we'll start to see winners, losers, and, Key, those who panic . . . Things will calm down, teams will shut up shop, park the bus etc . . . . Very early days. Only a few years ago Palarse lost their first 8? Games and survived comfortably . . . Teams have slid from the top 3 etc . . . .

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not a single draw in the Premier League yet... I would guess that's never happened before after so many games.

Also in the 15 games so far, there's been 5 home wins and 10 away.

I'd wager that empty stadiums has played a part in that.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
It's an interesting debate and you can't help wondering if it is something of a leveller when big clubs play smaller clubs, the several hundred million difference in respective squad values notwithstanding.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here