Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion had four former scholars in their starting line-up today

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I know we haven't actually "produced" Lamptey but he does look and sound like a school kid. I wonder how many times people have wondered if he has a fake ID?

Less produced, more rescued.

Chelsea and all the elite clubs have been guilty of stockpiling both potential and established talents. They’re nothing but graveyards and the better advised kids are now leaving to get first team action elsewhere. Of course all have clauses but at least they’re getting first team action at teams like Brighton. And Dortmund...

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
More than anything, this is why Bloom changed managers when he did in my opinion. Hughton showed no inclination to really play the youngsters.

...meanwhile, somewhere deep in Jolly Red Giant's mancave, a flashing red light and a klaxon are activated...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Some of the more rounded posters were preaching patience to those slating the academy and expecting instant things a few years back... as usual the rounders were correct!

Great to see and hear this stat. Alzate was great today but won’t get noticed so much because everyone was great!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
[tweet]1307710694616453120[/tweet]

The replies are awesome. All going on their delusion and the twatty agent and ignoring Potter actually coming out and saying the truth :lol:

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016
Theoretically we could have Walton, Lamptey, Alzate, Dunk, White, March, Connolly, Gyokeres and Molumby all progressing from the youth and under 23 squad to become first team members. 6 were on the pitch today! I've included Lamptey in that list as when we bought him no one really expected him to be a first teamer being just 19. The fruits of the academy and buying young talent is beginning to really pay off!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Who was the total dilbert constantly banging on, from the day after it opened it's doors, about the academy not producing?

Big Gully, maybe? He seemed to have a personal agenda against the academy, particularly the way it was scouting young players from further afield than Sussex.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
More than anything, this is why Bloom changed managers when he did in my opinion. Hughton showed no inclination to really play the youngsters. Today was our youngest premier league first 11 - 24.4 years of age

Totally agree. While CH wasn't in the league of 'dinosaur' managers, he was certainly more 'old-school' than the new breed, such as GP. The changeover was the beginning of a new five-year plan and promoting youth must've been at or near the top of the list when it came to priorities.

Exciting times :albion2:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
The balance of the starting XI between big-money signings and home-grown players and bargain buys is generally looking very positive.

Ryan (£5m)

White (£0) Dunk (£0) Webster (£20m)

Lamptey (£3m) Alzate (undisclosed, £2m?) Bissouma (£15m) March (£0)

Connolly (£0) Maupay (£18) Trossard (undisclosed, £17m?)

Add Lallana £0, Molumby £0, Gross £3m, BDB (undisc), Ally Mac (£7m + £2m to cancel loan) and Veltman £0.9m) and the balance sheet looks pretty healthy. One or two big signings to fill gaps where the academy can't provide looks a good way forward. Better than West Ham's idea of throwing more money at average players with good agents anyway.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The balance of the starting XI between big-money signings and home-grown players and bargain buys is generally looking very positive.

Ryan (£5m)

White (£0) Dunk (£0) Webster (£20m)

Lamptey (£3m) Alzate (undisclosed, £2m?) Bissouma (£15m) March (£0)

Connolly (£0) Maupay (£18) Trossard (undisclosed, £17m?)

Add Lallana £0, Molumby £0, Gross £3m, BDB (undisc), Ally Mac (£7m + £2m to cancel loan) and Veltman £0.9m) and the balance sheet looks pretty healthy. One or two big signings to fill gaps where the academy can't provide looks a good way forward. Better than West Ham's idea of throwing more money at average players with good agents anyway.
£28m for that 6 man defence. :ohmy:

Plus the fact the club can bring that down to less than £10m with one (albeit not advised) player swap.

FFS posters getting shitty about Ryan really are the pits.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Significantly less so far. Orient show 300k total in their account from that year from players sales. We apparently paid less than 100k for Alzate, but wouldn’t be a surprise if there’s a sell on clause.

I hope they have.
I hope it's bloody massive.
& when the time comes
I hope both teams make a shitload of cash.

As for Chelsea sell on clause.

I hope we never sell Lamptey, just to spite them.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Totally agree. While CH wasn't in the league of 'dinosaur' managers, he was certainly more 'old-school' than the new breed, such as GP. The changeover was the beginning of a new five-year plan and promoting youth must've been at or near the top of the list when it came to priorities.

Exciting times :albion2:

Was sort of the point of investing heavily in the academy. Produce quality 1st team players and sell the 'surplus' to buy other quality 1st team players.

However, that plan fails if you never play them and never put them in the 'shop window' so that can be sold. 1st team PL experience must add several million to a player's valuation regardless of who they are, so I don't blame TB for looking for a progressive manager and then splashing the cash when he knew he'd found one!

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I know we haven't actually "produced" Lamptey but he does look and sound like a school kid. I wonder how many times people have wondered if he has a fake ID?

Just imagined still having an under 13 team and putting him in as a ringer! The opposition always moaned when you had a lad who was 6’ 2” at age 13. I don’t remember anyone complaining about someone being too small!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Was sort of the point of investing heavily in the academy. Produce quality 1st team players and sell the 'surplus' to buy other quality 1st team players.

However, that plan fails if you never play them and never put them in the 'shop window' so that can be sold. 1st team PL experience must add several million to a player's valuation regardless of who they are, so I don't blame TB for looking for a progressive manager and then splashing the cash when he knew he'd found one!

Hence – I guess – why the club is so enthusiastic about loaning them out to other league clubs, here and abroad?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here