Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion had four former scholars in their starting line-up today

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I think it is worthy of note that Albion included four former scholars in their starting line-up today in their comprehensive Premier League demolition of Newcastle United - Ben White, Lewis Dunk, Solly March and Aaron Connolly. I'm pretty sure we haven't done that in the top-flight before. If Jayson Molumby remains a part of the first-team squad this season it isn't beyond the realms of possibility that at some point in 2020-21 we might even make it five.

More power to the Albion academy system...

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Who was the total dilbert constantly banging on, from the day after it opened it's doors, about the academy not producing?

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I think it is worthy of note that Albion included four former scholars in their starting line-up today in their comprehensive Premier League demolition of Newcastle United - Ben White, Lewis Dunk, Solly March and Aaron Connolly. I'm pretty sure we haven't done that in the top-flight before. If Jayson Molumby remains a part of the first-team squad this season it isn't beyond the realms of possibility that at some point in 2020-21 we might even make it five.

With Bissouma suspended I wouldn't bet against Potter choosing Molumby ahead of Propper for the Manchester United fixture.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1

And now you can tot up the other 19 teams starting scholars..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
.......... and Alzate - not through the youth system from a early age admittedly, but still upgraded from our U23s. Part of our youth development.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
The longer term plan of being cleverer in Recruitment and using the Academy system to try and get ahead of the transfer market is starting to bear fruit.

I think we are in a very good place currently and have for awhile to be honest....

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Commentator said that we had planned to send Alzate out on loan until GP turned up and said he wanted to keep hold of him. Delighted that he did - the time he got last season now paying dividends this. As you say, an U23, but still a youngster we brought on thanks to the appeal of our U23 system.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I know we haven't actually "produced" Lamptey but he does look and sound like a school kid. I wonder how many times people have wondered if he has a fake ID?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
More than anything, this is why Bloom changed managers when he did in my opinion. Hughton showed no inclination to really play the youngsters. Today was our youngest premier league first 11 - 24.4 years of age

This. Great stat on the ages.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Commentator said that we had planned to send Alzate out on loan until GP turned up and said he wanted to keep hold of him. Delighted that he did - the time he got last season now paying dividends this. As you say, an U23, but still a youngster we brought on thanks to the appeal of our U23 system.

That moment in the 2nd half where he skipped past one of Newcastle's players with just tight ball control, then drove towards the box was top class. Just lacked the confidence to then shoot as it was deserved and instead played a ball to the right which was slightly over hit, but nonetheless he really is showing elegance on the ball. Going to be another great player without doubt.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here