Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Solly March

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
He was not "absolutely quality" at all, you're deluded if you think that or a March licker.

Not a hater, did fine and hes solid enough, but we don't carry anywhere near the same threat on the left, still often hits first defender with crosses and often goes backwards.

He's not bad, we could do a lot better. If you want "absolute quality" he's on the other flank called Tariq. March isn't even close to that level.

Just imagine someone almost as good as Lamptey on the left.

Also, considering Newcastle were trying to double up on him. March's decision making was near perfect. If you have two full backs always bombing forward you can leave yourself a bit exposed to the break sometimes you need a wing back who's a little more conservative to add defensive re-enforcement. Would be amazing if we had another Lamptey on the other side but there probably isn't one. March is so underrated especially defensively and going forward he can beat players and create spaces it must be a little bit depressing for him seeing he still gets stick even when he has brilliant games I know he reads this so hope he takes the overwhelming positives.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Solly played well again. Had a great start to the season as far as I’m concerned.

For those saying “we need to get another Lamptey on the left”...

I mean, that’s all well and good, but how many Lamptey’s are around? Lamptey is looking like a potential world class youngster, I don’t think we can go “let’s just get another Lamptey for the left side. Easy”.

We need competition and cover in that role if Bernardo is not the answer. Potter has rarely used Bernardo as a LWB, I’d like us to have a left footed option to throw in.

Whilst I realise that another Lamptey is out of our budget, there are still some great players out there looking for a move. Ending Mr Sessegnon’s Spurs nightmare would be our top priority if we can sort a loan-to-perm deal.

After tonight, we’re currently a top 10 Premier League team in both our performance and table position, let’s hope we tie up the remaining few transfers before we drop out because, damn are we an attractive option for any young and ambitious player! Damn!

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Brilliant again.

I’m not suprised, backed him all along and thought he was made for this position. Quality player, great attitude, fully deserves this run and some appreciation finally and he will only get better as he gets more experienced and confident in that role.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Why do you dislike him so much? Literally didn't put a foot wrong today.. Lamptey is another level to pretty much everyone but both wing backs bossed it. Tactically Solly was perfect today I know you hate him for some reason but I just don't see how you can't see it. Close control, pass variation, link up with webster and the midfield, crossing was decent today, defensively solid Newcastle forwards couldn't get anything out of him.

What horse shit. I said he did well is a good option, and is generally solid and you say I hate him?

I said he was not "absolutely quality" at all thats just hyperbole, you're bigging him up.

I made the same point that "absolute quality" is Lamptey on the other side....... is March as good as Lamptey? no ofc not.....Is March the best ever "absolute quality" LWB we could hope to have (ie the highest bar?) also not imho..........

I was more than happy with how he did, even though he often goes backwards and crossing is hit/miss.

That's not hating, its honest observation. Im happy enough with him, hes also a Left wing option, hes a great lad and I wish him well - but if we want to improve there are plenty of natural LWB's who are better and would work that left side better.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Solly played well again. Had a great start to the season as far as I’m concerned.

I mean, that’s all well and good, but how many Lamptey’s are around? Lamptey is looking like a potential world class youngster, I don’t think we can go “let’s just get another Lamptey for the left side. Easy”.

He did play well, but there isnt the same attacking thrust down the left as the right, that not to say he's bad, but it could be better.......... agree Lamptey is a rare gem, but plenty of natural LWB's are better at the attacking/crossing bit, for me surprisingly, March has done pretty well at the defensive left back bit (the more un-natural bit), Lamptey is taking on defenders, passing them, getting crosses across the box, quite a lot the time March will run down the left and when the defender etc comes towards ball, he stops, turns around and plays backwards - we keep possession but its just not the same attacking cutting edge down the left in both games as it is on the right. That is not to say he was bad at all - But more that we could be devastating with a better attack minded LWB. If he keeps the shirt, we will be fine and have a decent enough player there, no complaints but not "absolutely quality"......not yet at least

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Knowing Solly, he is probably chuffed to bits because when he reads NSC, he will actually feel loved by 50% of its members, because the 1st two
games of the season he has performed brilliantly and nobody is slagging him off.
Playing like a new signing and IMHO the best form of his Albion career

Not playing in front of a crowd (which is sometimes critical toward him) is helping him, in my opinion. He's filling his whiskers as a result - he's a good footballer.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Solly became a decent (forward) Championship player but always divided opinion.
He’s now become a decent (versatile) Premier League player and continues to divide opinion.
Always thought he’d be best suited to the wing back position - especially when he bulked up a couple of years ago.
The bloke is just 26 and has only worked with Potter for a season.
Sessignon (or very similar) might dislodge him - but he is definitely improving under his current coaching regime

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Solly became a decent (forward) Championship player but always divided opinion.
He’s now become a decent (versatile) Premier League player and continues to divide opinion.
Always thought he’d be best suited to the wing back position - especially when he bulked up a couple of years ago.
The bloke is just 26 and has only worked with Potter for a season.
Sessignon (or very similar) might dislodge him - but he is definitely improving under his current coaching regime

hes an excellent versatility player, we'd be mad to flog him, he's can play many positions. Changed a few games from the bench

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
What horse shit. I said he did well is a good option, and is generally solid and you say I hate him?

I said he was not "absolutely quality" at all thats just hyperbole, you're bigging him up.

I made the same point that "absolute quality" is Lamptey on the other side....... is March as good as Lamptey? no ofc not.....Is March the best ever "absolute quality" LWB we could hope to have (ie the highest bar?) also not imho..........

I was more than happy with how he did, even though he often goes backwards and crossing is hit/miss.

That's not hating, its honest observation. Im happy enough with him, hes also a Left wing option, hes a great lad and I wish him well - but if we want to improve there are plenty of natural LWB's who are better and would work that left side better.

I think I've mistaken you with somebody on here who always seems to be slagging him off. My apologies. Lamptey is just ridiculously good especially for a 19 year old. Just highlighting tactically March was also for very good today. He's a versatile player who played an important role in our win today although every single player contributed to a dominant performance except maybe Maty Ryan who had f all to do :lol:

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
I think I've mistaken you with somebody on here who always seems to be slagging him off. My apologies. Lamptey is just ridiculously good especially for a 19 year old. Just highlighting tactically March was also for very good today. He's a versatile player who played an important role in our win today although every single player contributed to a dominant performance except maybe Maty Ryan who had f all to do :lol:

How very dare you
Our sometimes called diminutive GK
Playing as sweeper keeper helped us keep up the press
I’m sure he even punched away a corner

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

A well said response to an unbelievably idiotic argument. If it was that easy to go out and find full backs of Lamptey's quality everybody would be doing it.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
I think this is showing the negative impact fans can have on a player. Since coming back from lockdown, Solly has played well.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I think this is showing the negative impact fans can have on a player. Since coming back from lockdown, Solly has played well.

Webster too. Supporters can forget that most players are young human beings. Not all of them are robots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Solly has done ok, but he's no Gaetan Bong. ;)

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Solly has done ok, but he's no Gaetan Bong. ;)

Overall Id say they are pretty comparative - solid without being exceptional.

as mentioned, I thought Solly might struggle with the defending bit, but that has been very good. Still think in the attacking half he could be better/quicker.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
A well said response to an unbelievably idiotic argument. If it was that easy to go out and find full backs of Lamptey's quality everybody would be doing it.
Of course it's not realistic to expect to magic up a left sided Tariq, but... it is wholly realistic to expect to add a bit of balance in the offensive workload distribution by expecting the odd attack and end product down the left.... if only to take the pressure off the right from time to time, and reduce the predictability that the opposition defence will see in our attacking shape and strategy.... keep 'em guessing.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Solly is made for wing back and gives us lovely balance, we still need another one though. Bernardo and Burn cannot play the role well enough.

Id still like Sessignon or Rico Henry if possible.

Thanks Tony ;-)

D

Deleted member 2719

Has to be absolutely gutted that when he appears to be in the form of his life, Tariq bloody Lamptey has popped up on the other side.
Very true, but let's hope Tariq stays as long as Solly has, who knows it may have driven March on to a new level with the quality we now have in the side.
It's all looking rosey in September on the Albion front.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I've been saying for bloody ages that Solly would be a great left wing back. His play is perfect for it. So pleased he is getting an extended run in that position now. Hope Potter sticks with it.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Of course it's not realistic to expect to magic up a left sided Tariq, but... it is wholly realistic to expect to add a bit of balance in the offensive workload distribution by expecting the odd attack and end product down the left.... if only to take the pressure off the right from time to time, and reduce the predictability that the opposition defence will see in our attacking shape and strategy.... keep 'em guessing.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I suspect Solly will find more space to operate in during the rest of the season as opposition teams become more fixated on nullifying Lamptey.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here