Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Where does the Newcastle performance rank since our return to the Premier League?

Green Gull

Feb 25, 2018
Hate to bring this up but if we'd gone 2 nil up that early under C.H it would've been backs against the wall for 80 mins. We'd have conceded at least 1 & hung on for dear life with possibly 3 or 1 point at the end.

Today was a commanding accomplished Premier League performance.

Absolutely love C.H but that performance today sums up why TB thought we'd needed a change of style . Our away performances under Potter have been much more attacking & progressive for the most part & now we are reaping the rewards.

I used to dread watching our away games in the Prem, now I look forward to them every other week. Always feel we are capable of picking up something whoever the opposition. Exciting times to be an Albion fan IMO, so much talent in that squad right now & a forward thinking manager.

He might not get it right every week but he's not afraid to take it to the opposition with his team selection & tactics.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Spacegull

Sehr Kosmiche.
Feb 22, 2009
High Weald
A wonderful team performance underpinning a Potter tactical masterpiece. Magnificent.
If we can avoid injuries, the staying-up tracker will become a quaint anachronism :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
There was a fluency about our play that was a joy to watch. As Tariq the pocket rocket said at the end 'every player knows what the manager expects of them' - so our system allows Dunky or Ben White to stride upfield, knowing there will be cover behind. Thought Alazate and Bissouma put in one of the most complete midfield performances we've seen from the Albion in the Premier League. We already know we have a frightening talent in Tariq who will need bigger pockets the number of full backs he'll have in them by the end of the season. Solly is growing well into LWB, Maupay, Trossard and Connolly are scoring and causing endless problems for defences. Add a target man and our options multiply still further.
And with the average age of today's team around 24, and most going to get better, the future is bright. And blue and white :albion2:
Certainly one of our best away performances so far. And I reckon this is only the beginning ... :D

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Felt like a complete team performance, bossing from the off - rarely any doubt that we were coming away with the three points.

Where does it rank for you?

I am one of those who marvel at post match analysis, astonished by all the nuance that wooshed over my head during the game. I can pick out the obvious (like Fabinho nailed on MOTM for Liverpool in the later game), and even some of the subtleties (like Ali J's extreme quality and passing vision), but in general I am no tactician. With that proviso, I recall thinking more than once during the game today that I don't recall it ever being better than this. Newcastle, who are not a bad side, were completely ruined at the end of that game. :love::love::love:

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
So impressed by everything today.The tactical change after half time to counter Newcastle coming back into it was pure genius from Potter. Explosive from everywhere on the pitch and made Newcastle look a tad like Sunderland if you ask me.....i.e. Div 1!

Brilliant! Keep it up!

TNBA

TTF

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Hate to bring this up but if we'd gone 2 nil up that early under C.H it would've been backs against the wall for 80 mins. We'd have conceded at least 1 & hung on for dear life with possibly 3 or 1 point at the end.

Today was a commanding accomplished Premier League performance.

Absolutely love C.H but that performance today sums up why TB thought we'd needed a change of style . Our away performances under Potter have been much more attacking & progressive for the most part & now we are reaping the rewards.

I used to dread watching our away games in the Prem, now I look forward to them every other week. Always feel we are capable of picking up something whoever the opposition. Exciting times to be an Albion fan IMO, so much talent in that squad right now & a forward thinking manager.

He might not get it right every week but he's not afraid to take it to the opposition with his team selection & tactics.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Excellent summary...my thoughts exactly!

TNBA

TTF

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
With 3-0 over Spuds being 10/10 imho (an intensity that outclassed them for 90 minutes), today a 9/10.

Today, we dipped after HT only because they tried to bully us combined with shite hoof-ball and penalty box diving, but we calmly rode it out, then took them apart again in the last 20 minutes.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Felt like a complete team performance, bossing from the off - rarely any doubt that we were coming away with the three points.

Where does it rank for you?

In the Premier League era it’s right up there with the best. I think of the home win against Spurs and the August win against Man U and we were great in both games but against disintegrating teams with obvious sulks going on.

Here we win away against a team coming off a 2-0 win, with the media creaming themselves over their signings. And we were (nearly) in control from start to finish. Only Biss’s red blots the copybook.

Peak Potterball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
Today's performance was epic, however the 3-0 win at West Ham just eclipses it for me.
The pundits had written us off and Merson belittled Glenn Murray pre match.
So to beat them and for Glenn to bag a brace was epic.
The best bit though was to see a 55 thousand seater stadium empty on 65 minutes.
That will live long in the memory.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
In the top 5, Toon never really posed a threat today. It was too relaxing, used to watching Albion on edge

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Today's performance was epic, however the 3-0 win at West Ham just eclipses it for me.
The pundits had written us off and Merson belittled Glenn Murray pre match.
So to beat them and for Glenn to bag a brace was epic.
The best bit though was to see a 55 thousand seater stadium empty on 65 minutes.
That will live long in the memory.

To be fair, we'd managed to empty a 52,000 stadium by kick off today.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
I understand people saying the West Ham game but we were so so much better today than that day. Newcastle didn’t manage a single shot in target and we could have had five or six. No other away game comes close in terms of total performance.

The Spurs game at home is for me the only game that could rival today but as another poster points out Spurs were in total meltdown and their keeper virtually threw one in with the first attack of the game. So for me today’s was the most complete performance over the 90 minutes, we absolutely dominated them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here