Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What I Learned Today

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
It would be great to have another Tariq Lamptey, but come on!
Most Premier League clubs would like to have 1 Tariq Lamptey in their squads.

I think that is all PL clubs would like Tariq in their squad. Chelsea now taking stock about the massive clanger they have dropped

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
......as a wholly defensive left back yes.... provides virtually nothing in an attacking sense, which even Bong and Burn have done before him. Weak link, and will serve only to add more pressure on Lamptey on the right as our playmakers use his side as a preference.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Are you saying Bong was good at going forward?

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Are you saying Bong was good at going forward?
Oh no, he was average at best,... but he did take it on from time to time, his intention at least was to deliver some end product,.. from March at the moment, I see only ball retention, a noble aspiration, but nothing to help the strikers.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
......as a wholly defensive left back yes.... provides virtually nothing in an attacking sense, which even Bong and Burn have done before him. Weak link, and will serve only to add more pressure on Lamptey on the right as our playmakers use his side as a preference.

If you honestly think Burn or a Bong could play LWB to a similar degree as March I really pity the fool, for all Burns marauding runs last season his end product was dreadful, Bong was a good LB in the championship, and bang average in a Hughton team were we parked the bus pretty often.

March has had a couple of games at LWB, it’s a very tough position to play, requiring immense fitness, particularly in this league where the demands are so high already, I think the could really grow into the position, it’s perfect for March, he’s always been good tracking back and he’s a traditional LM type. I find people saying he’s a weak link strange when nobody can actually pinpoint anything he’s done wrong.

Perhaps it’s because Lamptey is excelling so much on the other side?

larus

Yep, you do need a rest from NSC.... it's not for you. This forum is famous for its variety of alternate opinions on players and tactics..... you might say that is it modus operandi.... or am I just stating the obvious? Duoh!!

Thank you for your totally irrelevant comment. I think what I flushed down the toilet earlier had more intelligence than your insightful input.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
5) March.... meh. Did nothing wrong at LWB but didn't do anything right either. Not an upgrade on Bong really hope he's growing. Looked much better on the right. Still think we need a LWB and another SC and then we'll be really scary!

Embarrassing.

1. March is better than Gaetan Bong at almost every single aspect of playing football (in any chosen position). The one area GB outperforms March is heading the ball (March doesn't DO heading).

2. Two games in a row, in the 'toughest league in the world' March has put in near faultless performances. Your claim that he 'didn't do anything right' surely completely disregards the 'B' in LWB, and grades him (in your warped assessment) purely on the 'W'? Norwich's two highly rated wing-backs were, last season, allowed to focus almost exclusively on the 'W' part, to rave reviews. Norwich are now playing in the Championship.

3. Some here are suggesting that March is suffering in comparison to Lamptey on the other side. There's truth in that, but there's also more to it - the very fact that Lamptey pushes so far forward, itself means that the defence swings across behind him to cover, and thus March's scope to disregard his defensive duties is lessened. As a consummate team player, this clearly won't bother him. He'll just get on with doing a terrific job for his manager, for his team, and for the fans. The manager and the team at least, will greatly appreciate his efforts.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I'd like to say that the comparison with Bong was deliberate to create an argument. It wasn't but it did it well enough.

I know March is better than Bong as an all round player and as an LWB and I now regret the comparison. For one, as I keep saying, March might grow into the position. I also accept that March doesn't compare with Lamptey and I say, again, he didn't do anything wrong yesterday which IS A GOOD THING.

Yet ... yet ... yet.. I do think Potter wants us to be as effective on the left and the right. March isn't there yet and ideally we want it now. He might get there but not yet. Hence why we are looking at a possible other LWB. Same with Connolly. He's scoring great but what happens when he gets injured? Where's our other striker?

Just saying....

p.s. Note to self don't mention Bong ever again :)

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Thank you for your totally irrelevant comment. I think what I flushed down the toilet earlier had more intelligence than your insightful input.
Ahh... bless you sunshine... I thank you for taking time to compose your little retort.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Oh no, he was average at best,... but he did take it on from time to time, his intention at least was to deliver some end product,.. from March at the moment, I see only ball retention, a noble aspiration, but nothing to help the strikers.

Did you watch the Chelsea game
He beat his man a few times, and linked up very well with Trossard and Maupay in attack

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I don't necessarily think it's the worst thing to be lacking some pace and dynamism on the left hand side.

Pace and lunacy down the right, a more measured approach down the left. It's a balance.

Also, when Lamptey bombs forward everyone moves across a bit, with White doing RB duties. If and when March goes, the same should happen in reverse. The slight problem is that Webster (being right-footed) is not nearly such a good option as covering full-back. If you have Connolly in the team, you get plenty of pace on the left without needing a pacy left wing back. At the moment it looks a good balance.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
3. Some here are suggesting that March is suffering in comparison to Lamptey on the other side. There's truth in that, but there's also more to it - the very fact that Lamptey pushes so far forward, itself means that the defence swings across behind him to cover, and thus March's scope to disregard his defensive duties is lessened. As a consummate team player, this clearly won't bother him. He'll just get on with doing a terrific job for his manager, for his team, and for the fans. The manager and the team at least, will greatly appreciate his efforts.

Also, when Lamptey bombs forward everyone moves across a bit, with White doing RB duties. If and when March goes, the same should happen in reverse. The slight problem is that Webster (being right-footed) is not nearly such a good option as covering full-back. If you have Connolly in the team, you get plenty of pace on the left without needing a pacy left wing back. At the moment it looks a good balance.

That. /\

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
The slight problem is that Webster (being right-footed) is not nearly such a good option as covering full-back. If you have Connolly in the team, you get plenty of pace on the left without needing a pacy left wing back.

(as of this January) Webster is our most two-footed player by some margin.

[tweet]1222877821569261568[/tweet]

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
What I new already:

Leeds/Bielsa and Liverpool/Klopp love the press, and are very good at it.

What I learned today:

Brighton/Potter are the most successful at it. :D

[tweet]1308016977798221825[/tweet]

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Did you watch the Chelsea game
He beat his man a few times, and linked up very well with Trossard and Maupay in attack
I didn't, I was away.... but there is a significant expressed mood on Nsc reflecting the same view as mine across the 2 games this season,.... and I have my experience from many games in recent seasons.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Embarrassing.

1. March is better than Gaetan Bong at almost every single aspect of playing football (in any chosen position). The one area GB outperforms March is heading the ball (March doesn't DO heading).

2. Two games in a row, in the 'toughest league in the world' March has put in near faultless performances. Your claim that he 'didn't do anything right' surely completely disregards the 'B' in LWB, and grades him (in your warped assessment) purely on the 'W'? Norwich's two highly rated wing-backs were, last season, allowed to focus almost exclusively on the 'W' part, to rave reviews. Norwich are now playing in the Championship.

Except when he does, obviously - Solly March headed goal against Bournemouth

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
NSC posters problem with Schellotto: he looks good going forward but can not defend. We like our fullbacks to defend primarily.
NSC problem with March: yeah he defends well but does nothing going forward.

WTF do people want? Oh yeah, they just like to shit on certain players regardless.

WTF do people want? Someone that defends well and is good going forward. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here