Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player ratings: Newcastle (a) 20/9/20

Jul 27, 2020
Hove
Ryan N/A - Broke Covid rules by making unnecessary journey.
Lamptey 9 - Consistently excelling his previous performance. Wouldn't be surprised if Barca came calling after Norwich blocked Aarons move.
White 8 - Solid again. Looked comfortable at Right Back.
Webster 8 - Solid again.
Dunk 8 - Solid again.
March 7 - Could keep Burn out for a while. Proving doubters wrong.
Bissouma 8 - Controlled the middle of the park all game. Matured immensely since he arrived. Will miss him in next few fixtures.
Alzate 7 - Link up with play with Bissouma is something we've been lacking. Very Iniesta-esque player.
Trossard 7 - Looks more comfortable in number 10 role. Unlucky not to score today.
Maupay 8 - Had a quiet game. Like all good strikers, he stepped up when it mattered.
Connolly 7 - Ran tirelessly, confidence grew as the game went on. Clever finish.

Burn 6 - Solid as ever.
Lallana 6 - What a fantastic player to bring off the bench. Might struggle to break up Bissouma/Alzate partnership.
Jahanbaksh 6 - Should've shot first time. Also, seems to be growing in confidence after Pompey.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A few people has said we’ll miss Biss. But it’s a single game he’ll miss, which is against Preston in the cup, is this correct?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
A few people has said we’ll miss Biss. But it’s a single game he’ll miss, which is against Preston in the cup, is this correct?
3 games quite possibly...

Preston in the cup, Man Utd then either another cup game ( if we beat Preston ) or Everton ( if we lose to Preston ) .

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I saw a tweet suggesting Maty was like the Queen Mother today - wearing gloves for no apparent reason.

Outstanding from everyone today. Fantastic performance.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Ryan 8 - No shots on his goal but some great claims and solid passing.

White 8 - Always in control and some fine passing.

Dunk 8 - Looked assured.

Webster 8 - Didn’t stand out but helped keep Wilson & Carroll quiet.

Lamptey 10 MOTM - No words.

Alzate 8 - Him and Molumby are the reason an all time great is leaving. They are both an upgrade.

Bissouma 8 - Marked down a point for the clumsy red but a player that will be receiving a lot of attention over the next year or so from top Champions League sides.

March 8 - I was happy for him to move on a few weeks earlier but I was wrong. I understand now that he is an essential squad player for us. We’d need a pretty special LWB to dislodge him, Jamal Lewis would struggle on today’s evidence.

Trossard 8 - Has moved into regular starter territory. Keep it up Troß!

Connolly 8 - His constant running and finding space was a real ball ache for the Toon defence. He should have had a brace but a deserved goal will add to his confidence.

Maupay 9.5 - His penalty was a touch risky but his touch for his goal was top top class. Everything else he did today was spot on, the effectiveness of his deeper positioning in the second half was outstanding. A top 10 EPL striker for sure........can we have another one in case he gets injured please?

Subs:

Burn 8, Lallana 8, Ali-J 8.

Nobody gets less than an 8 today.

Potter 10 - Took the Dinosaur Bruce to the slaughterhouse and put him down. My Geordie supporting mate called it when he saw their line-up. 4-4-2 was either arrogance, stupidity or suicide.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Ryan - 7

White - 8
Dunk - 7
Webster - 8

Lamptey - 9
Bissouma - 9
Alzate - 8
March - 8

Trossard - 7
Maupay - 8
Connolly - 9 - MOM

Great team performance and obviously Lamptey, Bissouma and Maupay will get the headines but I thought Connolly was absolutely fantastic today and my MOM. Ran himself into the ground, led the press from the front, was a constant threat and nuisance, held the ball up brilliantly and winning a number of important free kicks and then topped it off with an excellent finish.

Potter - 10!

Brilliant for the second season running at St James Park to see Steve Bruce completely bemused by what was happening in front of him. Potter totally schooled him today.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Lallana made an excellant tackle late on when the result seemed certain, That really impressed me today.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
That was a very comprehensive win and I think all the players contributed to. I waited to see if MOTD would change my opinion from earlier but it just cemented it.

Ryan - 7

White - 8.5
Dunk - 8 made a couple of obvious errors but clearly leads and directs from the back
Webster - 8

Lamptey - 10 fantastic energy and contribution
Bissouma - 10 i am not going to mark him down for the sending off he was brilliant
Alzate - 8
March - 8 just needs to beat a player when pushing forward and he would be great

Trossard - 8
Maupay - 9 i was scared when he went up to take the penalty but he did well (though i still think he could have hit it harder), bit of luck with second but he deserved it
Connolly - 9 - someone commented earlier on him needing to improve his runs... not from what i have seen and that was a sublime finish

really prefer to see two strikers up front because I think they play well together

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Ryan: 6 Feel bad for giving him a low-ish mark but I view 6 as average and I can't give him any higher because he had nothing to do. He basically just had to hang around for 90 minutes until he could pick up his clean sheet bonus.

White: 8 Looks to be the classiest of our back three on the ball. Very calm and composed player.

Dunk: 7 Pretty good but one or two minor mistakes plus completely losing the flight of the ball and Wilson for Newcastle's one and only chance.

Webster: 8 No problems

Lamptey: 9.5 As good as it gets for the hour he was on the pitch. Extraordinary first half.

March: 7 Solid and dependable. Inevitably overshadowed by Lamptey but that shouldn't take away form his own contribution.

Bissouma: 8 Ran midfield and was in serious contention for man of the match if it wasn't for his attempted showboating earning him a red card.

Alzate: 8 Quietly really good performance. Kept the ball moving and played some really nice passes

Trossard: 8 Good to see him plying centrally. Had a positive impact on the game from first to last minute. One of the first times I can remember that happening form a start rather than a sub appearance. Perhaps that suggests he needs to be played more centrally more often?

Connolly: 8 Really good performance form him. Worked like a *******, ran the Newcastle defence into the ground, held the ball up well, linked with the other attacking players, lovely goal and thoroughly deserved.

Maupay: 8 I was shitting myself when he was taking the penalty. Scored it, then a few minutes later scored another goal with a clever finish. Performed much the same as connolly. I like it when those two play together.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
Ryan 7- When a keeper gets a clean sheet away in the prem it's an automatic 7, dealt with long ball well, chose the right options with his passes bar one, solid from Ryan.
Lamptey- 9 - Would be 10 if he played the whole game at such a high level, Potter did the right thing pulling him off Newcastle were actively trying to injure him because he's too good for them. One of the best performances from an albion player in the top flight.
Dunk - 8 - Solid as usual think Ben White and Adam Webster were equally as good if not better than him today.
White - 9 - Just bossed it reminded me of Rio Ferdinand how effortlessly he controls the game from the back.
Webster 8 - Think him and March looked quality down the left side they didn't get any change out of him.
March 8 - Newcastle pinpointed him and doubled up on him and he showed just how good he is. Defensively sound but brilliant all round.
Bissouma 9 - Strange red but his overall game was brilliant, ran the game with alzate also looked very controlled defensively which has been a worry with him.
Alzate 7 - Kept things ticking, future leader, positioning was always correct and bounced back well from last weeks error, expect big things from this lad.
Trossard 8 - Unlucky not to score, fantastic assist, didn't really fade like he sometimes does, another great game from Trossard.
Maupay - 9 - Scored 2 and assisted 1, linked well with Connolly and Trossard one of his best games for us.
Connolly - 8 - Worked really hard, well taken goal another one with a bright future.

Burn 7 - Very good
Lallana 6 - Looked like he's getting back into the swing of things, helped see the game out towards the end.
Jahanbakhsh - too late to rate, bit disapointed he didn't get more minutes but understand why.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Ryan 7 Commanded his box well, but otherwise was totally unemployed

Webster 8 Didn't put a foot wrong again. One of our stars that will go "under the radar" whilst everyone is looking at White and Lamptey
Dunk 8 See above
White 8 Played very well. Assured on the ball but like all of our defence, rarely pressed into too much action
Lamptey 9 Ridiculous talent. Simple as that
March 8 Really looks the part at the moment. So flexible too
Bissouma 8 Arguably his best game for until the silly sending off
Alzate 8.5 I'm amazed that he hasn't had more credit. As part of a midfield 2 with an average age of 23, away from home against a big physical team, he was nearly flawless
Trossard 8 What a player he's turning out to be
Maupay 8 Solid pen (never in doubt) and a lovely finish for the 2nd. Never stopped running
Connelly 8 Never stopped running either. Worked his socks of and fully deserved his goal

Overall, that may be the best team performance I've seen. Every player knew their role and executed it to perfection. I hope we take this form into the weekend and get a result against United, and if we play like that, I really think we can win

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here