Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] That red card for Biss'

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
If an overhead kick missed and a player got booted in the face instead, it would be a red card.

Why does it matter if it hits someone in the face? Surely a boot being up that high would be deemed dangerous regardless of where you connect? I’ve seen that happen multiple times, and I’ve never seen someone sent off for it. :shrug:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Was a red, shame it wasnt evened up by some of the hacks on Lamptey!

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Bit hard to assess an injury threat when you've your back to your opponent and all you have in your vision is the ball just over your shoulder as you're trying to play the ball.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Fairly straight forward, no intention but under the rules it’s a red for wreckless play

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bod

Dec 8, 2015
Definitely a card. It's somewhere between a yellow and red, as it was dangerous but unintentional.

If it didn't make contact with a face like that, nobody would have even noticed it. It was very unlucky, but you run the risk with any high boot.

An orange card.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Probably a red, but was it a clear and obvious error by the ref to originally award only a yellow though?

I don't think so, in which case VAR should not have intervened.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I'd need to see it again but was Bissouma's upper body pushed forward by their player as he was attempting that kick? which would have led to his leg going up higher and if he wasn't pushed, it's doubtful his boot would have reached the opponents face?

Unfortunate accidental contact but looked bad and caused an injury so see why a red

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Why does it matter if it hits someone in the face? Surely a boot being up that high would be deemed dangerous regardless of where you connect? I’ve seen that happen multiple times, and I’ve never seen someone sent off for it. :shrug:

There is a substantial difference between kicking someone in the face and not kicking someone in the face.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I read that the [MENTION=791]The Albion Roar[/MENTION] said on Twitter it could effectively be 1 game ban only technically, if we get through against Preston in the cup. Anyone confirm?

https://twitter.com/albionroar/status/1307698186019053568?s=19

Correct

Red cards count across all competitions so it will be Preston and Man Utd for sure, and possibly Man Utd/Luton in the cup if we can beat Preston.

It’s only yellows that are competition specific.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Maybe learn peoples opinions can differ? So a bicycle kick in a crowded penalty area should be a red card then? How many times a season do we see a player attempt an overhead kick, and accidentally kick an opposition player? Yet I’ve never, that I can remember, seen someone sent off for that.

Your opinion is irrelevant. I posted that directly from the FA website. It clearly suggests that attempting an overhead kick is a legitimate part of the game and a free kick shouldn't be given unless it endangers an opponent. You see many free kicks given for high feet. But however lacking in intent, Bissouma's foot ended up in the player's face when he hadn't ducked. It was out of control and Dangerous Play under FA rules.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Harsh for it to be overturned as don’t know how the ref can’t have made a decision there. Judged it on the injury which is wrong and if he wasn’t injured and took a quick free kick it wouldn’t have been given - that’s the problem with VAR and the variables there still are. But it is dangerous play and an unfortunate red although he had 0 intentions of doing it - so still seems a bit of a shit one to get.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here