Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] That red card for Biss'

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
For me, if what happened yesterday is a red as many say, an overhead kick is equally if not more dangerous, I’ve seen far more defenders booted in the head from a player attempting an overhead kick than I have incidents like yesterday.

May be just me, but personally, I'd far rather be kicked in the face with the soft upper of a football boot (which is the only likely outcome when defending an over-head kick) than have somebody's studs thrust into my face.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
May be just me, but personally, I'd far rather be kicked in the face with the soft upper of a football boot (which is the only likely outcome when defending an over-head kick) than have somebody's studs thrust into my face.

The point is, where is the line drawn on the term ‘dangerous play’ An overhead kick attempt may not be as dangerous as studs to the face, but in the age where heading is being banned in young age groups and concussions are now well known as being dangerous, any time a foot is connecting with a head could be construed as dangerous? Yet correct me if I’m wrong I’ve never seen a player sent off for an overhead attempt

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The point is, where is the line drawn on the term ‘dangerous play’ An overhead kick attempt may not be as dangerous as studs to the face, but in the age where heading is being banned in young age groups and concussions are now well known as being dangerous, any time a foot is connecting with a head could be construed as dangerous?

It COULD be, yes. Down to the official's interpretation. (like almost everything)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
At the time I thought it was harsh but on reflection it was the correct decision.

Absolutely gutted he is missing the Man Utd game, he is crucial to us and we don't have any players who can come in and do the job he does. Make's the Preston game massive now as if we win that he's back for the Everton game otherwise he'll miss that too.

Does he miss 3 games? I presumed it is just one?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
For the simplistically minded if you are struggling to see the difference between a mad kick out like that (that connects) and one that doesn't.

For those that nurse their own ego to a platform far above those of mere mortals, your opinion may resound. For the rest of us, we see a mistaken attempt to connect with the ball, which could be exactly what a striker ends up with when trying the spectacular.

But you carry on being a sanctimonious arse.:smiley:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Having now seen the incident, I have to ask, "Wtf did he stick his foot up like that for?"
Likewise. The ball was on the way down and almost near his knee when he connected with the lad's face.

I still don't think it was a red. But it was ****ing stupid.

Gutted as he was absolutely brilliant up til then and has been since Potter started training him.

Hope he doesn't miss more than one PL game. But I also think Molumby is the replacement. Who else?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
So every overhead kick should be a red then as a player swinging a boot around in the box at head height is risking players eye's? As others have mentioned, the incident doesn't actually fit with the charge or violent conduct according to the rules of that is what he was sent off for. At the end of the day, if Alan Shearer is saying a red card wasn't the right decision against a team playing against Newcastle I'm confident in my conviction that it shouldn't have been red.
Magic Al and Murphy were both really angry about it. However, both have previous for kicking people.

I do agree with them mind. Yellow card all day long.

Unless you're Mike Dean or Gaston "look at my leg" Ramirez.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
In a desperate search for consistent perfection, VAR is removing all semblance of common sense from referees by insisting on black and white calls on key subjective decisions. This is impossible.

Of course a yellow card was right for Bissouma's completely accidental contact in his (admittedly bizarre) attempt to backward-hook the ball. That was upgraded to a red, whilst Shelvey's deliberate and calculated hack on Lamptey, borne out of anger and frustration, with no attempt at the ball whatsoever (and equally risky to his opponent), garners no more than a standard cursory yellow. And if anyone can tell me that was a handball by Lindleoff against Palace the other night worthy of a penalty, then I'd suggest you shuffle off back to whatever village is missing its idiot.

Its not always wrong, and if we MUST suffer the marginal line calls on offsides then I guess we'll have to learn to live with it. But VAR is making such an appalling mess of these subjective decisions, taking all common sense away from referees, its genuinely exhausting and exasperating keeping track of it now. So many results are being skewed by it now. That handball rule in particular is an outright disaster for the game.

SAC

May 21, 2014
In a desperate search for consistent perfection, VAR is removing all semblance of common sense from referees by insisting on black and white calls on key subjective decisions. This is impossible.

Of course a yellow card was right for Bissouma's completely accidental contact in his (admittedly bizarre) attempt to backward-hook the ball. That was upgraded to a red, whilst Shelvey's deliberate and calculated hack on Lamptey, borne out of anger and frustration, with no attempt at the ball whatsoever (and equally risky to his opponent), garners no more than a standard cursory yellow. And if anyone can tell me that was a handball by Lindleoff against Palace the other night worthy of a penalty, then I'd suggest you shuffle off back to whatever village is missing its idiot.

Its not always wrong, and if we MUST suffer the marginal line calls on offsides then I guess we'll have to learn to live with it. But VAR is making such an appalling mess of these subjective decisions, taking all common sense away from referees, its genuinely exhausting and exasperating keeping track of it now. So many results are being skewed by it now. That handball rule in particular is an outright disaster for the game.

VAR isn't the problem, VAR got these decisions completely correct, the Man U handball was a handball according to the rules/laws and however harsh the decision, the keeper was off his line. The Biss one is slightly more subjective but it was a dangerous and unnecessary kick that most on here (and I imagine 99% away from here) think red is the correct decision.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

I think VAR will get there.

It's just been introduced to the top competitions too soon and without refinement.

We've gone from Pawson or whoever sat in a box, making stupid decisions based on millimeters to Pawson or whoever sat in a box, telling the on field ref that their decision was wrong by millimeters.

It should be a tool for the actual referee to use. Rather than "oh, he's gone to the screen so it'll probably be turned over". We need a Collina with the balls to say "actually no, I was right first time" on occasion, as in when he's right.

But it's a step in the right direction (**** knows why it took a season here when that's how they did it at the World Cup and in the Champions League, but hey).

Like DRS in cricket, it will eventually improve the game. Unfortunately it will take years. E.g. They've only just worked out that the third umpire should be checking every front foot no ball. That's only taken about a decade to do the most simple and sensible thing ever.....

Meantime, we will all complain about decisions and even if it's almost perfect it will still be subjective. Good! What else do we have to talk and have a bloody good rant about (politics and women notwithstanding).

That handball rule can go suck my balls though. It's shit.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Oh come off it. We all know you are one of the stuck in the past brigade who hate VAR, but claiming Bissouma's red was a yellow just makes you look stupid. It was obviously a red.

Both Danny Murphy and Alan Shrearer thought it should have been a yellow on MOTD. Also, I'm not convinced it was a red by the rules of the game. It was clearly dangerous play, which is only a booking. But the FA have interpreted as 'violent conduct', which is ridiculous. Was it really worthy of a three-game ban?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005

I concur, but you'll be called a dinosaur for saying it. THE GAME HAS GONE!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Indeed.

VAR has its merits, but its the way its being used that is its current downfall. I'd bin it now, because I think the minuses still FAR outweigh the pluses. The absolute LUNACY that has come into the handball interpretations for penalties will ruin games, skew results and have a massive negative impact on the game. Sometimes we'll be on the right side of these calls, sometimes the wrong.

That someone in a room looked at that Bissouma incident and hauled the ref over in order to have it called "violent conduct" is an absolute nonsense. That was NOT an act of violence by Bissouma in that incident as any sane person could see, and a yellow was the original right call. Shelvey on Lamptey ? THAT was infinitely more violent. It was a deliberate, pre-meditated hack, yet deemed just a standard yellow.

VAR could be used a lot better, but at the moment it isn't, and the law is an arse.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

As a young dinosaur, I agree.. VAR is shiet. We dont have it in Allsvenskan yet because the owners (= the members) of the clubs didnt want it, but any time a ref makes a mistake people moan about basically every other league having it... at this point I dont think it can be removed. The monkey is out of the box, or however the expression goes..

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Indeed.

VAR has its merits, but its the way its being used that is its current downfall. I'd bin it now, because I think the minuses still FAR outweigh the pluses. The absolute LUNACY that has come into the handball interpretations for penalties will ruin games, skew results and have a massive negative impact on the game. Sometimes we'll be on the right side of these calls, sometimes the wrong.

That someone in a room looked at that Bissouma incident and hauled the ref over in order to have it called "violent conduct" is an absolute nonsense. That was NOT an act of violence by Bissouma in that incident as any sane person could see, and a yellow was the original right call. Shelvey on Lamptey ? THAT was infinitely more violent. It was a deliberate, pre-meditated hack, yet deemed just a standard yellow.

VAR could be used a lot better, but at the moment it isn't, and the law is an arse.

The PL were reporting this as violent conduct but the FA have this recorded now as serious foul play

d3a7141c4d9be71e7a1786d8c470237c.jpg

b360e7f57a7ba90a002b4550cd18ee7f.jpg

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here