Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Defund the BBC.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
You are required to have a licence if you watch (or record) TV as it airs. So catch up only is fine but if you record live tv and watch later you still need a licence.

Because of this, it's not so much which online services you use but how you use them. You can watch iPlayer but only the 'catch up', on demand elements not the live broadcasts. Likewise with Sky Go/Now TV. Watch it live and you need a licence.

How sure are you on this? As I tried to do research before and didn’t get this answer. They said if you watch I player at all... so the Mrs watches eastenders on a catch up and that’s it - no live bbc - so if you’re right we def don’t need a license...!?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Pintos

Jul 28, 2005
Oxted
One of the characteristics of the right is British exceptionalism - a recent example being BoJo’s comedy assertion a few months back that we would have a ‘world-beating’ Covid testing system. And pretty much everything about Brexit.

It’s ironic that some of them are trying to remove one of the few things where we are genuinely world-beating. The BBC is the envy of the world.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
BBC is about more than news. funny that small sub-division becomes a focus, especially as its not the overt focal point of the objection (which is high salaries). its almost as is there is a hidden agenda.

as much as BBC news has gone down hill, we'd be very sad if we lost it. same for rest of the output.

News is the bit that's a public service and critical to a functioning democracy, so I had thought that is the bit that specifically needs funding.

I'm not sure why taxpayers need to fund the rest of it.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
There is a strong correlation between people who don't trust the BBC as a news source and those who think RT (Russia Today) is a reputable outfit.

The BBC, free impartial news. When it's gone, it's gone.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Haven’t had a licence for years I already pay enough tax, the obscene amounts they waste giving the likes of Lineker a lavish life style makes me vomit.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Lose the BBC at your peril. It provides way more content than just news. It’s also respected world-wide, promotes the U.K. in a very positive way and does far more for the country than any government could ever achieve.

I concur with HT wholeheartedly, I will wash myself down later.

Once you lose easy access to Auntie you realise just how shit most broadcasters are in comparison. Yes I think the Beeb is left leaning because of its staff, yes they make some good, some poor and some great programmes. No, it cannot compete with Sky over sports rights.

But when you look at the news content from every corner of the planet, and at the natural history content, the support for a plethora of different music genres, the ability to rip the piss out of both itself and the British people, It is respected across the free world, and feared by those who lead oppressive regimes.

All in all, it is bloody bargain for the licence fee. I would happily pay the full fee to have unfettered access from here. As it is, Aunties refusal to play ball means I get it for free via VPN.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
The thing is, I know it works both ways. I have left-wing friends who sincerely believe the BBC is right-wing.

Personally, I believe that is an indication that it is doing something right.

The left have always believed, quite rightly, that the BBC are the voice of the establishment.
Robbie Gibb, Craig Oliver, and Guto Hari have all left the BBC to take up political appointments with various senior members of the Conservative Government.

Ten Conservative ex MPs or Tory Lords have been Chairman of the BBC Trust, not one Labour peer or ex MP has held the position.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I don’t have normal tv as arial doesn’t work. Have sky go, Netflix etc. Got worried about them tracing iplayer or whatever as Mrs watches it occasionally & I was worried they could tell through the internet etc so paid it.
Really not sure if I am silly or sensible.

To get on to player you must use the website. And are you really sure you never listen to Radio 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5, 5 Live Sports Extra, 6 Music or Johnny and Warren's commentary?

The BBC is about a lot more than telly.

little al

Crystal Palace fan
Apr 4, 2009
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Thought as much.... So have to pay £15 a month for Eastenders in theory :facepalm: Would happily just not bother but worried they can tell from IP addresses etc and don’t wanna risk the big fine!

They can't tell. The only way they can tell is if they get into your home, and you are under no obligation to let them in. I haven't paid for years.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
There is a strong correlation between people who don't trust the BBC as a news source and those who think RT (Russia Today) is a reputable outfit.

The BBC, free impartial news. When it's gone, it's gone.
No one could be dumb enough to think RT/Sputnik is anything other than direct Kremlin propaganda.

D

Deleted member 2719

The same BBC who many on the 'left' claim are right wing biased and their political correspondent is Johnson's slut.

I like the BBC, they piss everyone off. Which means they are doing something right.

They simply don't fit folk's narrative.

They are clearly biased, then problem people have give them the benefit of the doubt in the past as tensions have risen the punter have been able to focus on this. Lineker is a talisman for them that says it all.

They had John 'unfunny' Bishop on there literally slagging of the government, it was almost as if had been asked to go on to do that.

Pandering to the left by having Nigel Farage on Question Time 35 times despite not being in Pariament.

Farage is worthy of any media stream, he talks sense and entertains, trying desperately hard to think of just one left sided politician that can even come close to matching him. I want to say Ashworth, as he is so entertaining, I think he was a spitting image puppet turned into a politician. But he doesn't talk sense.

Personally I think the BBC should explain why they are wasting my money on programmes such as Mrs Brown's Boys, Miranada.....

Cut Mrs Brown but don't axe Miranda as that would be deemed sexist.

The trouble is, these days if you say anything vuagley critical of the government you are labeled as a "left wing extremist". The current government and it's supporters can not take ANY criticism at all. It really is pathetic.

This has risen from vocal and vile left-wing social media, ripping down statues and vandalising history and it should not be happening in the UK, all driven from Corbynites and the media spinning what is happening in America. We are a small country and should not be following the lead of another country in these matters.

RIP BBC

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I concur with HT wholeheartedly, I will wash myself down later.

Once you lose easy access to Auntie you realise just how shit most broadcasters are in comparison. Yes I think the Beeb is left leaning because of its staff, yes they make some good, some poor and some great programmes. No, it cannot compete with Sky over sports rights.

But when you look at the news content from every corner of the planet, and at the natural history content, the support for a plethora of different music genres, the ability to rip the piss out of both itself and the British people, It is respected across the free world, and feared by those who lead oppressive regimes.

All in all, it is bloody bargain for the licence fee. I would happily pay the full fee to have unfettered access from here. As it is, Aunties refusal to play ball means I get it for free via VPN.
I wonder if there is enough global market to make up for those in the UK that don't want to pay for the BBC.

I would certainly pay, given the excellent output I enjoy.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
The trouble is, these days if you say anything vuagley critical of the government you are labeled as a "left wing extremist". The current government and it's supporters can not take ANY criticism at all. It really is pathetic.

Very much this. It doesn’t seem to matter how many times you have Farage on QT or if your political editor is far from impartial, or if you edit video footage of Johnson to make him look less of a bumbling buffoon, as soon as you question or contradict the government narrative you’re suddenly considered too ‘left‘. I swear, some people just want a British version of Fox News.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I love this "the BBC is so biased" Bollocks. We get the same nonsense here regarding the ABC. Thing is both corporations are heavily monitored for their content and impartiality. What people don't like are their "facts" being checked when all they want is some right wing commentator with the same opinion as them, bleating forth their opinions with no regard to the accuracy of the information. The hilarious (well it would be if it were not such a concern" thing about "fake news" -btw I guess these people cant cope with multisyllabic words like propaganda- is they are the main perpetrators of this nonsense.

In recent times over here the BBC, ITV and Channel 4 News have been the only things on the airwaves seeking to hold the government to account, when all the government wants is unquestioning support for everything it does. “We have a superlative track and trace system”. How come it doesn’t work, then. “There is no problem with the availability of COVID tests!” Well listening to any phone-in programme, BBC or commercial, will give the lie to that.

Even the Mail, the Times, the Sun, the Express and the Spectator are turning Against the Government now, and plenty of senior tories have big worries. Last week Andrew Rawnsley in the Observer quoted a senior Tory who said when he phoned him: “which sh1tshow do you want to talk about? COVID or BREXIT?”

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I wonder if there is enough global market to make up for those in the UK that don't want to pay for the BBC.

I would certainly pay, given the excellent output I enjoy.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

I am certainly happy paying for the BBC, and would pay more if need be. At one point recently we gave up a subscription to BT Sport for £25 per month - £300 per year - because we were only using it to watch very occasional football matches and their coverage was woeful. The TV licence is fantastic value in comparison.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
They are clearly biased, then problem people have give them the benefit of the doubt in the past as tensions have risen the punter have been able to focus on this. Lineker is a talisman for them that says it all.

You what?

But he doesn't talk sense.

:wozza:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

They had John 'unfunny' Bishop on there literally slagging of the government, it was almost as if had been asked to go on to do that.

Farage is worthy of any media stream, he talks sense and entertains, trying desperately hard to think of just one left sided politician that can even come close to matching him. I want to say Ashworth, as he is so entertaining, I think he was a spitting image puppet turned into a politician. But he doesn't talk sense.

Cut Mrs Brown but don't axe Miranda as that would be deemed sexist.

This has risen from vocal and vile left-wing social media, ripping down statues and vandalising history and it should not be happening in the UK, all driven from Corbynites and the media spinning what is happening in America. We are a small country and should not be following the lead of another country in these matters.

RIP BBC

As usual, you have a very jaundiced view of just about everything.

Do you really think that Corbyn and his crew ever had, let alone still have, that much influence? Do you really think Farage is the only person who speaks sense. The words Farage and sense should never be in the same sentence.

I would put you on ignore, but you’re hilarious.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
They can't tell. The only way they can tell is if they get into your home, and you are under no obligation to let them in. I haven't paid for years.

I’m worried you are making this up to get me back for my anti Palace comments and you’ll turn up on my doorstep with £1000 fine whilst wearing a palace jacket.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here