Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Defund the BBC.

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
They probably do need a bit of reform. Overall they are a great British institution. They do or have provided amazing value for money content (sorry) over the years. It's a changing competitive market these days and they need to adapt to survive.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I would be happy to pay for good quality news. Where can I find it?

Pissed-off with BBC and ITV news being full of leftwing biased crap.

The current bun is your salvation. Bon Voyage.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Personally I think the BBC should explain why they are wasting my money on programmes such as Mrs Brown's Boys, Miranada.....

Lowest common denominator.

The BBC produce quality programmes. But have been dumbing down for years.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So is this bit of cancel culture okay?

It's kind of hard to keep up.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

It is a right wing cancel so if you are right wing and a bit thick (most right wingers aren't) jobza goodun.

If not, this looks like another 'I am baffled, please help me' thread by Leaky.

Chief Wiggum

Apr 30, 2009
Got rid of my TV licence a couple of months ago. You are not obliged to pay it under certain conditions - I genuinely do not watch any BBC or any live broadcasts whatsoever. I pay for Netflix (which is cheaper than the licence and includes some BBC content) and watch YouTube which satisfies my rare craving for TV entertainment/films, otherwise it's music and books. Give it a trial run - life is so much calmer and stress free without the MSM pumping misery and propaganda into your lives.

peterward

NSC Patreon
Nov 11, 2009
They probably do need a bit of reform. Overall they are a great British institution. They do or have provided amazing value for money content (sorry) over the years. It's a changing competitive market these days and they need to adapt to survive.

They do, the licence fee is a joke in 2020. Its all to easy for the beeb

Go with commercial advertising or subscription based, but don't force people who don't want the service to be forced to pay for it. You want sky you pay, if you want water, electric or gas you pay per useage, even they're not compulsory. BBC should be able to switch on/off services on payer demand, if not paid for by advertising.

one size fits all billing and lack of accountability needs to end

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patreon
Oct 17, 2008
What I have noticed is a deliberate change in BBC News policy, making much more of a concerted effort to "create" news to fit quotas.

For example, to show they are addressing social issues, each news cycle needs a women's equality story, a racial equality story, something about climate change, and so on.

If news stories on these subjects don't exist, they create op-eds and clickbaity anecdotal original pieces to fit with these themes. Normally these have videos saying things like "Why I'm angry I earn less than my male colleagues", or "What BLM means to me as a 2nd generation immigrant".

Now, I fully expect The Guardian to do this, while adding their own commentary to the actual news. It's what the readership wants.
And if I wanted exactly the same thing but right wing, I would read the Daily Mail.

Until recently I held BBC in a higher regard, as they don't think need to push a story to sell papers off a hot-button issue. They can just report the news, ala Reuters or the AP. But with the sheer brazenness of their tokenism I no longer find them impartial. How can they be impartial if they're deciding; "okay, tomorrow the news will be a BLM story, something about domestic abuse and one about coronavirus - go and write".

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
The ANNUAL BBC license fee is broadly the same as ONE MONTH of my Virgin fee.
It might be argued that Sky & Virgin fees could be slashed if they didn't pay quite so much for the rights to broadcast football.

My BBC monthly DD is about £13 - a decent bottle of wine or a round of beers when out - it's an "entertainment" cost - I don't mind paying for it.
I also like several BBC radio stations too ....

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Just Googled ‘Defund the BBC’ to see what this was about and the first page was full of stories from The S*n, The Express, The Daily Fail and The Times. Didn’t need to read anymore.

The BBC has it’s faults but overall I’d say their reporting has always been fairly neutral (as said above, the fact that the government of the day always hates them is a good thing) and the quality of it’s output is worth the license fee. And if it continues to piss off the right, I’d say it’s actually worth a pay rise.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think the "defunding" of public/state TV is a reoccuring concept in every country that got it, because it is "leftist" and not "impartial". Which is true to a certain degree - journalist is a "leftist" job and more with left-leaning opinions are going to go for it. What people usually forget is that commercial media owners usually are right wing - owning shit is more of a "rightist" job. If you want balanced media perspectives that covers shit that dont give you nice amounts of clicks etc, you need publicly funded media.

Music City Gull

Not Changing This, Bozza
Jun 28, 2020
12 South
Just Googled ‘Defund the BBC’ to see what this was about and the first page was full of stories from The S*n, The Express, The Daily Fail and The Times. Didn’t need to read anymore.

The BBC has it’s faults but overall I’d say their reporting has always been fairly neutral (as said above, the fact that the government of the day always hates them is a good thing) and the quality of it’s output is worth the license fee. And if it continues to piss off the right, I’d say it’s actually worth a pay rise.

So you want a state funded entity that purposely antagonizes a political party that private companies are also forced to compete with for market share? Hmmmm....some of you people are interesting. And by that I mean scary.

Not only that but you want to give them more money and power from public coffers as long as they do more to eliminate political opponents you don’t agree with. Damn damn damn.

nickjhs

NSC Patreon
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
I love this "the BBC is so biased" Bollocks. We get the same nonsense here regarding the ABC. Thing is both corporations are heavily monitored for their content and impartiality. What people don't like are their "facts" being checked when all they want is some right wing commentator with the same opinion as them, bleating forth their opinions with no regard to the accuracy of the information. The hilarious (well it would be if it were not such a concern" thing about "fake news" -btw I guess these people cant cope with multisyllabic words like propaganda- is they are the main perpetrators of this nonsense.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
The problem is people don't want to spend money to get good quality news anymore. They're rather get any old rubbish because it's free.

If a product is free, you are the product. That means you're helping them get ad revenue, or you're allowing them to influence your vote.

The principle of the license fee is sound. I think they should be focussing on news though.

I would be happy to pay for good quality news. Where can I find it?

Pissed-off with BBC and ITV news being full of rightwing biased crap.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I love this "the BBC is so biased" Bollocks. We get the same nonsense here regarding the ABC. Thing is both corporations are heavily monitored for their content and impartiality. What people don't like are their "facts" being checked when all they want is some right wing commentator with the same opinion as them, bleating forth their opinions with no regard to the accuracy of the information. The hilarious (well it would be if it were not such a concern" thing about "fake news" -btw I guess these people cant cope with multisyllabic words like propaganda- is they are the main perpetrators of this nonsense.
Is the correct answer.

The question is: who wants to get rid of a monitored and fact checked, balanced news outlet.

Answer: the news outlets who are not monitored, fact checked and balanced.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Given that you haven't really had a left sided government for 40 years. In the interest of balance are you sure you want rid of an agency that gives some voice to the left.

Couple this with the endlessly propagated norton the 'the media's has a left wing bias and you are in some seriously scary territory.

Did someone mention disposing of dissenting voices??

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The trouble is, these days if you say anything vuagley critical of the government you are labeled as a "left wing extremist". The current government and it's supporters can not take ANY criticism at all. It really is pathetic.

Yeah and some day you might be labeled a right-wing extremist for being critical of the government. Its the art of polarization.

Personally Ive scrapped all the "left wing" or "right wing" identity bullshit. I am just a general extremist.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I don’t watch the news anymore on either TV. I find the MSM to be extremely biased. I use the BBC website for sport but nothing more.

I want my news to be factual and unbiased. News reporters should not be offering opinions. What the BBC fails to understand is that the majority in the country are not woke, liberal, metropolitan people. There are a vast range of opinions and views, and jsut pandering to the left is alienating many.

For example, after the Brexit vote, any piece of economic data was qualified with “because of Brexit/despite Brexit” (depending if it was positive or negative). That is combing fact with opinion.

I’ve cancelled my TV license - not to save money as I wouldn’t notice it. Purely out of principle at the bias (IMO) of the BBC. Let’s see how woke the BBC would be if it had to be self funding.

Everything has to be sensationalised now. Even sporting fixtures are over-hyped. Weather events are over dramatised as though it’s the end of the frigging world. If there’s a little bit of flooding, the reporters will fins a street, see if they can find the deepest points and stand in that. But when you pan out it’s just a localised bit of flooding (for example).

not sure if your interested but the ABC in Australia has been a top notch broadcaster for many years , since our current govt. took over they have lost $115 million from their annual budget , reporters who have taken the government on have been dishonoured and sacked , the LNP has given foxtel over 40 million in "bailouts" in the last 6 months (covid time) and newscorp employees have been instilled into senior positions at the ABC , so basically what has always been an impartial , objective broadcaster , with some outstanding investigative journos is slowly but surely turning into a mouthpiece for the LNP , scripted interviews with politicians etc , Morrison will only be interviewed by certain hosts and some subjects are off limits , the other msm channels are woeful , truly woeful ......there is some gut wrenchingly poor tv to be viewed, these other channels are all owned by billionaire businessmen , Murdoch , Stokes , Gyngell etc. if the BBC is to be defunded then it will surely have to be sold to keep going ...?? i would say that Murdoch would be at the front of the queue ....which is a bad thing.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I think the "defunding" of public/state TV is a reoccuring concept in every country that got it, because it is "leftist" and not "impartial". Which is true to a certain degree - journalist is a "leftist" job and more with left-leaning opinions are going to go for it. What people usually forget is that commercial media owners usually are right wing - owning shit is more of a "rightist" job. If you want balanced media perspectives that covers shit that dont give you nice amounts of clicks etc, you need publicly funded media.

100%

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here