Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Defund the BBC.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I don’t have normal tv as arial doesn’t work. Have sky go, Netflix etc. Got worried about them tracing iplayer or whatever as Mrs watches it occasionally & I was worried they could tell through the internet etc so paid it.
Really not sure if I am silly or sensible.

larus

I don’t watch the news anymore on either TV. I find the MSM to be extremely biased. I use the BBC website for sport but nothing more.

I want my news to be factual and unbiased. News reporters should not be offering opinions. What the BBC fails to understand is that the majority in the country are not woke, liberal, metropolitan people. There are a vast range of opinions and views, and jsut pandering to the left is alienating many.

For example, after the Brexit vote, any piece of economic data was qualified with “because of Brexit/despite Brexit” (depending if it was positive or negative). That is combing fact with opinion.

I’ve cancelled my TV license - not to save money as I wouldn’t notice it. Purely out of principle at the bias (IMO) of the BBC. Let’s see how woke the BBC would be if it had to be self funding.

Everything has to be sensationalised now. Even sporting fixtures are over-hyped. Weather events are over dramatised as though it’s the end of the frigging world. If there’s a little bit of flooding, the reporters will fins a street, see if they can find the deepest points and stand in that. But when you pan out it’s just a localised bit of flooding (for example).

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I don’t watch the news anymore on either TV. I find the MSM to be extremely biased. I use the BBC website for sport but nothing more.

I want my news to be factual and unbiased. News reporters should not be offering opinions. What the BBC fails to understand is that the majority in the country are not woke, liberal, metropolitan people. There are a vast range of opinions and views, and jsut pandering to the left is alienating many.

For example, after the Brexit vote, any piece of economic data was qualified with “because of Brexit/despite Brexit” (depending if it was positive or negative). That is combing fact with opinion.

I’ve cancelled my TV license - not to save money as I wouldn’t notice it. Purely out of principle at the bias (IMO) of the BBC. Let’s see how woke the BBC wild be if it had to be self funding.

You fail to mention what reliable news sources you use instead!

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
So what about football? Not sure I could go without watching live football. Other than that, me and the Mrs don't really much much on TV. She loves series on Netflix etc and I either watch movies or game.
Personally I've always thought paying a license fee all because of one greedy company is a load of bollocks so I hope this really hurts the BBC.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
The problem is people don't want to spend money to get good quality news anymore. They're rather get any old rubbish because it's free.

If a product is free, you are the product. That means you're helping them get ad revenue, or you're allowing them to influence your vote.

The principle of the license fee is sound. I think they should be focussing on news though.

larus

You fail to mention what reliable news sources you use instead!

The problem is whatever source you use will be biased - I despair at the lack of un-politicised reporting which is what we used to get more of in the BBC years ago.

Everything has become ‘agenda’ driven and a state-funded broadcaster should be clearly unbiased.

Newspapers are privately owned so you’ll choose what you want to read as (most people) want to read things which confirm their opinions.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
The problem is people don't want to spend money to get good quality news anymore. They're rather get any old rubbish because it's free.

If a product is free, you are the product. That means you're helping them get ad revenue, or you're allowing them to influence your vote.

The principle of the license fee is sound. I think they should be focussing on news though.

I would be happy to pay for good quality news. Where can I find it?

Pissed-off with BBC and ITV news being full of leftwing biased crap.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
BBC is about more than news. funny that small sub-division becomes a focus, especially as its not the overt focal point of the objection (which is high salaries). its almost as is there is a hidden agenda.

as much as BBC news has gone down hill, we'd be very sad if we lost it. same for rest of the output.

Snowflake

Jan 11, 2018
I can see why there is some challenge to the BBC. But be careful what you wish for. The current government do not like them but the BBC have supporters both left and right. I do think they are being made scape goats and by no means the worst news platform. That said they do need to be held accountable. I am not sure there is such a thing as free press these days. Which is very depressing!

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I would be happy to pay for good quality news. Where can I find it?

Pissed-off with BBC and ITV news being full of leftwing biased crap.

The same BBC who many on the 'left' claim are right wing biased and their political correspondent is Johnson's slut.

I like the BBC, they piss everyone off. Which means they are doing something right.

They simply don't fit folk's narrative.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The same BBC who many on the 'left' claim are right wing biased and their political correspondent is Johnson's slut.

I like the BBC, they piss everyone off. Which means they are doing something right.

The right wing media have done a great job convincing everyone that 'the media' are all a bunch of lefties.

I find this rather worrying. Murdoch et al will be thrilled though.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
So is this bit of cancel culture okay?

It's kind of hard to keep up.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Have to agree. What ever the leaning of the Government of the day, they always despise the BBC. That is a good sign.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
BBC is about more than news. funny that small sub-division becomes a focus, especially as its not the overt focal point of the objection (which is high salaries). its almost as is there is a hidden agenda.

as much as BBC news has gone down hill, we'd be very sad if we lost it. same for rest of the output.

Biggest mistake the BBC made was BBC News 24. BBC News at 6, BBC News at 9, 10, whatever, and Newsnight and Radio 4 in the morning - they were proper journalism and national institutions, rightly respected by everyone - but the BBC had to do its willy-waving and produce a 24 hour news channel. Who wanted it? The licence payers? - not many of them. The general public? - not many of them either. BBC executives? - oh god yes please!
Inevitably then they have to find something to fill the space (apart from repeat after repeat after repeat) so all sorts of rubbish gets added - our political correspondent's opinion, our parliamentary correspondent's opinion, etc, etc. Blah, blah, blah.
Scrap the News 24 channel - no messing, just close it down and take it off air. Save some money, pay your top earners less (or bin them off if they won't take a pay cut) and provide us with value for money for our licence fee. It ain't rocket science.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Personally I think the BBC should explain why they are wasting my money on programmes such as Mrs Brown's Boys, Miranada.....

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The problem is whatever source you use will be biased - I despair at the lack of un-politicised reporting which is what we used to get more of in the BBC years ago.

Everything has become ‘agenda’ driven and a state-funded broadcaster should be clearly unbiased.

Newspapers are privately owned so you’ll choose what you want to read as (most people) want to read things which confirm their opinions.

Yet you still don't declare where you get your news from!

The BBC is probably the least biased of all broadcasters.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Personally I think the BBC should explain why they are wasting my money on programmes such as Mrs Brown's Boys, Miranada.....

Whilst I agree about the sentiments, it's not just your money and you're not obliged to watch it. I might say the same as to why the pay for cricket to be on the box of NFL but I accept there are those that pay the licence that do like those programmes.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here