Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The pub debate

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
IF he made a success of his second stint, then it would be in the bag... but unfortunately he lost statue points rather than gained them.

second stint? what second stint, dont remember that. :whistle:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I would say there are only three people in contention and only one of them is on the list (late addition as well!).

Peter Ward, absolute icon for the team
Tommy Cook. All time top scorer (excluding mickey mouse war time games)
Charlie Webb.

The OP might not have been around for the Ward era but that's no excuse for not knowing the history of your club. For the record, I never saw Cook play or Webb manage!!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
My vote would be for Tony Bloom and Dick Knight united, arm in arm, gleefully waving a bag containing the cup final money.

Alternatively, as finance is a bit tight with Covid about, perhaps we should just go for one on a season long loan from Fulham?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
The bloke who makes the 5pm announcements , I'd really like to see what he looks like on the radio .

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
s)
Charlie Webb.

The OP might not have been around for the Ward era but that's no excuse for not knowing the history of your club. For the record, I never saw Cook play or Webb manage!!

Charlie Webb all day long. He scored the goal that won us our only trophy but served the club for just short of 40 years. I can't think of anyone who gets close to topping that

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Surely Tommy Cook should be on that list ???

209 appearances
114 League goals
8 hat tricks
Capped by England
Became Manager

Plus, 460 first class matches for Sussex, scoring over 20,000 runs. Tragically passing at just 49 years old.

Legend.

Surely one of the greatest Sussex sportman ever deserves a shout at a statue? ???

Last edited:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I would definitely vote for a player/manager rather than Knight or Bloom.

I think those of us of a certain age understandably tend towards overrating Wardy’s achievements and standing in the history of the club.

As a cricket fan I like Tommy Cook.

But Charlie Webb seems to have the strongest claim.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Dick Tight as without him there would not have been a club for the others on the list to join.

Sent from my SM-J330F using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm loving the fan ideas. We need to work on design. Firstly:

I’d like to add Crispies to the list

In original "Goldstone Rap" vintage with proper curly hair and a finger in the ear? Or today's follically challenged version?

Or

The Cardinal or the mullett.

Arm in arm, one clutching a can of cider, the other some proper Real Ale and about to launch in to "I Think We're Alone Now"?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here