Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

An easy to digest reminder of what shite we're in due to The Irish Border.

0 Not allowed!
    “Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling.” James E Starrs
    Rarely serious, frequently taken seriously.
    "The Venerable Bede is full of shit".

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Stat Brother View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Wouldn't it be interesting if just one poster who voted leave actually read that and explained the flaws in it ?

I can guarantee that won't happen though.

Because everyone that really needs to read this, in order to get some understanding of what they voted for, won't. They'll simply do what they always do when confronted by simple facts, put their fingers in their ears and shout 'project fear'

0 Not allowed!
      If you BELIEVE in Brexit, all of that doesn't matter
      A. Virgo, Football Genius

0 Not allowed!
      there is one little flaw in the line of reasoning: there's nothing about trade or borders in the Good Friday Agreement.
      The English know how to make the best of things. Their so-called muddling through is simply skill at dealing with the inevitable.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by beorhthelm View Post
      there is one little flaw in the line of reasoning: there's nothing about trade or borders in the Good Friday Agreement.
      I know I'm going to regret this (we have been over this so many times before), but one of the main benefits of the GFA was to do away with a hard border. Are you now suggesting that Johnson can re-introduce the Ireland/NI border and not break the GFA ?

Here is the GFA, you can look it up yourself

https://assets.publishing.service.go.../agreement.pdf

Every mention of border and cross-border in it, is no longer applicable if a hard border is re-instated.
      Last edited by WATFORD zero; 19-09-2020 at 10:33.
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      No deal = WTO = hard border = breach of GFA. Or am I wrong?
      A. Virgo, Football Genius

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by WATFORD zero View Post
      Every mention of border and cross-border in it, is no longer applicable if a hard border is re-instated.
      i have read it, all mentions of cross-border are relating to governance and cooperation. not one mention of border controls or trade. its as if they didnt think it would ever be an issue when the wrote it.
      The English know how to make the best of things. Their so-called muddling through is simply skill at dealing with the inevitable.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by beorhthelm View Post
      i have read it, all mentions of cross-border are relating to governance and cooperation. not one mention of border controls or trade. its as if they didnt think it would ever be an issue when the wrote it.
      Sorry, my sarcasm detector had run out of batteries. It's my age, you know

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Stat Brother View Post
      Pah. Piffle. Jeremy Corbyn would be doing a worse job.

0 Not allowed!
      Perfectly simple explanation of the problem there. The Border situation post Brexit has always been there, as Russ says, Johnson agreed to a border in the Irish Sea at the time and got that rushed through then has to go back on his own deal as the DUP and Tory ERG group can't accept that....

So, four years spent looking for " Technical Solutions" that don't exist and we are about a month away from the deadline to get an agreement drawn up and signed and three months before no deal and default to WTO rules. The lorry parks are being set up and an attempt to try to streamline exports to the EU now involve a Hard Border in Kent and fines of that " border" is crossed without the correct paperwork.
      " The day after we vote to leave, we hold all the cards " Gove, M. 19/4/2016

" We will be leaving on December 31st on Australian style terms and trading under the basis of WTO rules " Gove, M 19/10/2020