Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How many will follow Coventry and QPR’s lead?

Should players take the knee?

• Yes

Votes: 41 37.3%
  • No

Votes: 69 62.7%

• Total voters

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Didn’t take the knee prior to kick off in the Sky Championship game last night.

Sky tried to make a big thing of it at 90 minutes, but Mark Warburton’s response was admirable and hopefully will strike a chord with other clubs. When pressed why they didn’t do it he pointed out perhaps they’d like to talk about all the work Rangers do in the community in West London and have done for many years rather than one specific gesture.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
It’s in danger of losing its meaning, it’s emotional context wrought from a human tragedy played out over hundreds of years... by repeating it every week at every level of sport, for me, it dilutes it’s impact and becomes, as others have said, an empty gesture of sorts along with so many other pre match rituals. It would probably be more meaningful to mark key dates by taking the knee or doing at the start of each season to mark how the game intends to move forward. Or by simply making actual tangible changes and irradiating racism everywhere?!?

Simply is probably the wrong word isn’t it? It’s not simple that’s the problem, ingrained things are hard to remove and that’s the issue. Too many at the top of the tree represent the worst of humanity, so expecting major cultural shifts when the western world in in the hands of errmmm perhaps the wrong kind of people is perhaps expecting too much too soon. It’s a complex journey and one it’s hard to comment further on as a white guy from a fortunate birthplace and family.

I will do the best I can to be the best I can.

Last edited:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Warburton is now a hero for that generation of dim witted subconsciously racist traditionalists.

He came across as arrogant, ignorant and deceptive in blaming the FA and implying that it was the choice of both teams. The interview with Coventry’s brilliant Mark Robins afterwards explaining that Coventry were surprised and that it was QPR’s decision not to take the knee was telling. My assumption from Warburton’s self-righteous ranting was that he was the one who put a stop the the kneeling.

If the OP is so impressed with Warburton and so offended by players taking the knee, he might prefer to start following the progress of the West London club instead of making up nonsense about Brighton players potentially earning more than £100k for clickbait.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Warburton is now a hero for that generation of dim witted subconsciously racist traditionalists.

He came across as arrogant, ignorant and deceptive in blaming the FA and implying that it was the choice of both teams. The interview with Coventry’s brilliant Mark Robins afterwards explaining that Coventry were surprised and that it was QPR’s decision not to take the knee was telling. My assumption from Warburton’s self-righteous ranting was that he was the one who put a stop the the kneeling.

If the OP is so impressed with Warburton and so offended by players taking the knee, he might prefer to start following the progress of the West London club instead of making up nonsense about Brighton players potentially earning more than £100k for clickbait.

So you think taking the knee thing should be a permanent part of football from now on until racism is "solved"?

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset

The majority of journalists are now clickbait whores, most will admit it. They aren't happy that old school journalistic values have gone out of the window but they still need to pay the bills.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
The Pittsburgh Steelers are an example of why it needs to be thought through better before implementing.

They put the name of a person who was shot dead by a Police officer on their helmets. Trouble is none of them bothered to look into the guy and on the night he was shot dead he'd taken part in a drive by shooting of people which is why the Police were perusing him.

https://www.espn.com.au/nfl/story/_...kice-pouncey-breaking-team-choice-name-helmet

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
The majority of football clubs do excellent community work, can’t really see the point Warburton is trying to make.

Maybe the point he is trying to make is, some people may not realise the excellent community work the majority of football clubs do.
The average armchair fan wouldn’t have a clue about QPR and their work, and the current name of their stadium etc.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
So you think taking the knee thing should be a permanent part of football from now on until racism is "solved"?

Not at all.

It’s that sad old tradition of exceptionalism I object to by people too dull to realise the consequence of their actions. Taking the knee is now a convention, why is there a need to break it without universal approval?

I see it every time I go to the supermarket with people not wearing masks, they can’t understand why they have to do it so simply don’t.

Warburton has clearly had enough of the recent ‘taking the knee’ trend, reading between the lines, he has obviously told his players not to do it, what did the idiot think the media reaction would be?

If the Albion wanted to stop our players taking the knee, you would see a different approach. An intelligent and strategic plan would have been developed with Barber probably floating the idea to the press and indicating clearly and intelligently (without ranting and raging whataboutery) why it is time to move on, I feel sorry for QPR fans being in the middle of this, I’m not sure many of them will be as proud of their manager as the OP is.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Is this still a thing ?
It’s in danger of becoming meaningless, in the same way a minutes silence for a every person that ever went to a football match did.
If clubs believe there’s a racism problem then education would be a better option, rather than a ritual performed before every game.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
So. if Mr Warburton phoned every other club and said 'lets stop this knee nonsense'. there would still be some one up in arms over his decision to be the first. There is no way round this as some one will be offended.
Until a fool proof plan comes into force, whereby all people, regardless of colour, creed or religion can mingle together without the fear of abuse.... be it verbal or physical, then all cultures will carry on exactly as nothing has happened. To change history you have to make history, but it doesn't happen overnight and it's a fight against those who oppose it

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here