Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Second choice keeper when both fit

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Button and Steele were 2 cheapish stocking fillers, Steele has never been good imho, he's made mistakes consistently at every club, a good enough 3rd keeper/cup number 2....but does anyone seriously suggest Steele is up for a Run of PL games if Ryan gets injured?
We could've played with no keeper and would've still beat Pompey. His passing was fine, one reaction save (wasn't too difficult or too far in corner) and one no man's land flap at a cross. He's simply not good enough for PL.

Of the 2 academy Lads, Walton is ahead but always had highest hopes in Sanchez who was wanted by a lot of top clubs.......

I just can't see Steele cutting it in the PL. Time will tell with Walton and Sanchez.

Name a goalie that hasn’t made mistakes.

The reaction save was top drawer, as the player was so close to him. It is very harsh to say otherwise. Assuming you haven’t played in goal [emoji2]

Not recalling the flap you referred to. The only thing I would criticise him on was in the first half when he should have come for a cross. But then again he’s got a 6’7” CB who didn’t get near to winning the one header he needed to.

All opinions and i normally agree with most of your posts. [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peterward

NSC Patreon
Nov 11, 2009
Name a goalie that hasn’t made mistakes.

The reaction save was top drawer, as the player was so close to him. It is very harsh to say otherwise. Assuming you haven’t played in goal [emoji2]

Not recalling the flap you referred to. The only thing I would criticise him on was in the first half when he should have come for a cross. But then again he’s got a 6’7” CB who didn’t get near to winning the one header he needed to.

All opinions and i normally agree with most of your posts. [emoji2]

i did actually play in goal at school, many many years ago! if i dived now though id pull muscles and wouldn't be able to get back up.

It was a good save, but i dont think it was one that many keepers wouldn't make, it was near enough to him. and we were playing a league 1 team, not man city. He's another in the ilk of Ankergren. Good feet, handy enough but unspectacular, a mistake costing goal around the corner.

If the club thought he was up to the number 2 role before when Button was here, they wouldve played him or had him as sub....they didnt, and Button wasnt great either. he's gone because we could get a few quid for him. Maybe Steele could do a job at lower championship?, no way hes a PL keeper imho, or at least one for a club that wants to stay in the PL.

Game of opinions for sure, like Edna, he makes me nervy - lets see how he gets on (if he plays) at Preston - Expect walton though

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
i did actually play in goal at school, many many years ago! if i dived now though id pull muscles and wouldn't be able to get back up.

It was a good save, but i dont think it was one that many keepers wouldn't make, it was near enough to him. and we were playing a league 1 team, not man city. He's another in the ilk of Ankergren. Good feet, handy enough but unspectacular, a mistake costing goal around the corner.

If the club thought he was up to the number 2 role before when Button was here, they wouldve played him or had him as sub....they didnt, and Button wasnt great either. he's gone because we could get a few quid for him. Maybe Steele could do a job at lower championship?, no way hes a PL keeper imho, or at least one for a club that wants to stay in the PL.

Game of opinions for sure, like Edna, he makes me nervy - lets see how he gets on (if he plays) at Preston - Expect walton though

I think most agree that seeing Steele in the goal for an extended run would be... not good.

What I'm questioning is if Walton really is better though. I saw around ten Blackburn games last season and equally many with Wigan the season before that and to me is a bottom half Championship keeper, decent reflexes but poor off the goal line and poor with his feet.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Walton got injured in pre season but he was second choice that day. Why a Brighton keeper though? I assume Ryan is number 1 so you’ve got both basis covered? I think Brighton slots are best allocated to Lamptey (4.5 defender) and Bissouma (4.5 midfielder) who offer excellent value in their price brackets. They happily sit on my bench!

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
At this moment in time
1. Ryan
2. Steele
3. Sanchez
4. Walton

But it’s all up for grabs at this moment Walton is injured so he’s automatically forth choice while I thought Steele looked good midweek and Sanchez did well having to come on in placed of the injured Walton.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Button was signed first (or Steele was initially injured - can’t recall) and got off to a flyer in a friendly game in France, I think that put him in pole position.

He played well for us in the cup at Bournemouth, we’ll have to disagree on the save. He’s there as cover but I remain more comfortable with him than Walton who is weak technically in a number of areas.

Steele has already proven he’s comfortable in the championship at Boro and then Blackburn. As I say can’t deny it didn’t happen for him at Sunderland, but even then I do know the coaching team rated him (the GK coach is brother of a close friend) but his confidence was dented.

Ryan has made quite a few errors, plus Stocko before him, Casper never was that agile, but I’m not sure that can be levelled at Steele.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

peterward

NSC Patreon
Nov 11, 2009
Button was signed first (or Steele was initially injured - can’t recall) and got off to a flyer in a friendly game in France, I think that put him in pole position.

He played well for us in the cup at Bournemouth, we’ll have to disagree on the save. He’s there as cover but I remain more comfortable with him than Walton who is weak technically in a number of areas.

Steele has already proven he’s comfortable in the championship at Boro and then Blackburn. As I say can’t deny it didn’t happen for him at Sunderland, but even then I do know the coaching team rated him (the GK coach is brother of a close friend) but his confidence was dented.

Ryan has made quite a few errors, plus Stocko before him, Casper never was that agile, but I’m not sure that can be levelled at Steele.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Jason :lolol:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Then again Walton doesn't seem to have had quite the season we'd have hoped with Blackburn last year. Had a few brilliant games, but quite a few more indifferent ones. I was keeping an eye out on their results.

Maybe Sanchez is going to be the one who surprises us.

Now you are making sense

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I would be no more uncomfortable seeing Steele play in the Premier League than Button, who I thought was poor. Steele looked confident, composed and clear in thought during the game on Thursday. It is much easier playing once every 2 years than it is to be under the pressure of playing a regular spell of games, but as a guy to come in from to time and do a job he seems fine.

I was disappointed not to see Sanchez start, though. I would have liked to have seen him, he's clearly got more of a future at the club than Steele and it seemed like a missed opportunity to blood him in our first team. Steele seems to be clearly second choice at the moment and I wouldn't be surprised to see Sanchez go out on loan before the window closes.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Extremely debatable (Sunderland apart).
You don’t get selected at U21 level if you are poor.

Far preferable than Button IMO.

I beg to differ on the U21s England seem to have a knack of taking potentially very good players at U21 level and then turning them into complete dross when the move on.
I know he hasn't played for full England but my point is playing for the U21s is no indication that a player is great.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I beg to differ on the U21s England seem to have a knack of taking potentially very good players at U21 level and then turning them into complete dross when the move on.
I know he hasn't played for full England but my point is playing for the U21s is no indication that a player is great.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

But it is an indication that he is the top of his class for that group, which would also indicate he was doing something right at club level. There are plenty of examples where players don't 'kick-on', but you don't get selected in the first place if you are a poor player.

Remembering we are talking about competent cover for Ryan rather than cover for Pickford or Pope. My point remains, IMO, Steele is good enough to step in should it be required, and I would take him over Walton.

KoreanSeagull

Dec 1, 2019
Not North
Steele is very, very lucky to be considered as 2nd choice at a prem club after all that at Sunderland.

But I think with confidence his performance can boost a lot having watched the Sunderland documentary.

Would take him as 2nd keeper till Sanchez comes up. Walton? Cash in.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here