Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Second choice keeper when both fit

FrankelTheGull

Sep 18, 2020
For completely selfish FPL reasons, was wondering who people regarded as the main backup keeper to Ryan out of Walton and Steele.

I do apologize for creating the most uninteresting thread on the forum :lolol:

Many thanks

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I haven't got much confidence in either of them. Maybe Sanchez will improve enough.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Steele looked alright against Pompey. I'd rather sell Walton and develop Sanchez. I just don't think Walton is going to be Premier League material.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Steele I think. Answer might have been different a month ago but since then Walton played a couple of minutes against Chelsea, nearly shat himself a few times before getting carried of on a stretcher, while Steele produced a competent and calm performance in the League Cup a few days ago.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
No idea who is currently the better keeper, but at 30 years old I doubt Steele is suddenly going to transform into a Prem standard player. Would have much rather Sanchez, or Walton if he was fit, played against Portsmouth & future cup games so we can help develop them. Without them playing we'll never know who the most credible back up to Maty is.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Steele is a bit of a calamity keeper. Good with his feet for sure, wasn't tested at all bar one save, flapped at one cross..... If he ever gets in the first team, he will make errors. Thus why he won't imho.

Sanchez was very highly rated with numerous clubs after him. I'd be grooming him towards pushing to be number 1. Walton deserves his shot when fit.

Steele did ok last night, it wouldn't last if given a run of games imho. He's always made clangers

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Young Rushworth tonight is dealing with hospital pass after hospital pass - best let him go to Barcelona and see who does best out of Steele and Sanchez.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I believe Walton is the 2nd choice when both fit.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Steele is a bit of a calamity keeper. Good with his feet for sure, wasn't tested at all bar one save, flapped at one cross..... If he ever gets in the first team, he will make errors. Thus why he won't imho.

Sanchez was very highly rated with numerous clubs after him. I'd be grooming him towards pushing to be number 1. Walton deserves his shot when fit.

Steele did ok last night, it wouldn't last if given a run of games imho. He's always made clangers

You’re basing that on Sunderland, he was very good for Blackburn and Middlesbrough before that. Sunderland were a basket case of a club at that time.

He was good enough to play for England U21s .

I’d be happy with him in our team should Ryan be unavailable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
You’re basing that on Sunderland, he was very good for Blackburn and Middlesbrough before that. Sunderland were a basket case of a club at that time.

He was good enough to play for England U21s .

I’d be happy with him in our team should Ryan be unavailable.

He wasn't really though. He was never more than adequate. Unfortunately for the bloke, there aren't many clubs whose fans rate him highly. He was simply a cheap option for us when we wanted another keeper. The thought of having to actually play him in a PL game fills me with fear.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
He wasn't really though. He was never more than adequate. Unfortunately for the bloke, there aren't many clubs whose fans rate him highly. He was simply a cheap option for us when we wanted another keeper. The thought of having to actually play him in a PL game fills me with fear.

This

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Extremely debatable (Sunderland apart).
You don’t get selected at U21 level if you are poor.

Far preferable than Button IMO.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Then again Walton doesn't seem to have had quite the season we'd have hoped with Blackburn last year. Had a few brilliant games, but quite a few more indifferent ones. I was keeping an eye out on their results.

Maybe Sanchez is going to be the one who surprises us.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Then again Walton doesn't seem to have had quite the season we'd have hoped with Blackburn last year. Had a few brilliant games, but quite a few more indifferent ones. I was keeping an eye out on their results.

Walton is not good enough and I think we should cash in during the next 12 months.

Sanchez however is the future.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Button and Steele were 2 cheapish stocking fillers, Steele has never been good imho, he's made mistakes consistently at every club, a good enough 3rd keeper/cup number 2....but does anyone seriously suggest Steele is up for a Run of PL games if Ryan gets injured?
We could've played with no keeper and would've still beat Pompey. His passing was fine, one reaction save (wasn't too difficult or too far in corner) and one no man's land flap at a cross. He's simply not good enough for PL.

Of the 2 academy Lads, Walton is ahead but always had highest hopes in Sanchez who was wanted by a lot of top clubs.......

I just can't see Steele cutting it in the PL. Time will tell with Walton and Sanchez.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Walton is not good enough and I think we should cash in during the next 12 months.

Sanchez however is the future.

Steele is not good enough, really not sure on Walton.

Agree on Sanchez which is why I don't understand why wasn't playing v Pompey.

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
personally I think the current 3 of Walton Steele & Sanchez are all good enough for second choice, the question should be are any of them good enough for first choice & a challenge to Ryan , that I am not so sure in the medium/short term

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here