Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] TikTok and WeChat restrictions in the US

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Trump staying true to his word...

The Commerce Department plans to restrict access to TikTok and WeChat on Sunday as the Trump administration's executive orders against the two apps are set to take effect.

The Department said Friday that as of Sunday, any moves to distribute or maintain WeChat or TikTok on an app store will be prohibited.

In addition, the Department said, it will be illegal to host or transfer internet traffic associated with WeChat beginning Sunday. The same will be true for TikTok as of Nov. 12, it said.​

...although TikTok have been scrambling to appease the US government with deals possibly involving Oracle and Walmart and, possibly, an IPO in the US rather than China or Hong Kong.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Is it wrong to wonder if there's a part of Trump's ego that's disappointed he isn't Tik Tok Famous?

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Trump has always operated on the basis of a bogeyman. Always has and always will. To begin with it was the Muslims, then immigrants, now it is China. He likes to scare his base into thinking he's defending them from the big bad bogeyman. It appeals to their inherent racism.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
This is retaliation for the teens making him look silly. They organised on tik tok to get thousands of tickets to his rally, then no show, making him gloat in the media that he had sold out a stadium rally, but it was nearly empty when it happened.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Don't use either, so not bothered.
Social media, is one big headfeck....

I've spent my entire working life working in digital marketing, and my complete non-adoption of social media has often afforded me my fair share of ridicule from collegues. It wasn't really intentional, however the emergence of Facebook, Twitter et al happened at a time when I wanted to keep a bit of a low profile in my life in order to avoid one or two shady characters.

Still, I've seen my wife's addiction to it first hand and I'm so glad I never got hooked on it to be honest. It's just a shame I didn't take the same approach to smoking crack...

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Don’t use tik tok and only vaguely heard of WeChat so not going to affect my life but I don’t like it on principal.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
This is retaliation for the teens making him look silly. They organised on tik tok to get thousands of tickets to his rally, then no show, making him gloat in the media that he had sold out a stadium rally, but it was nearly empty when it happened.

Good one! Well done those teens. :thumbsup:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

As a bonus, Nigel Farage had been invited to speak at the overflow meeting, which was an empty car park. :lolol:

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
I've used both.

Losing WeChat is mildly irritating.

Tik Tok I don't care. Just checked it out for a bit when I heard it was originally going to be banned.
Interestingly I actually found a fair amount of Trump supporters on the platform...probably because the algorithm hadn't kicked in.

There's a huge amount of rabbit holes and conspiracy theories on tik tok regarding new world order, Qanon, reptilian overlords, you name it (plus a lot of fake news).
My friend is wrapped up in all that stuff. The ban can't come fast enough for me. Bit worried about her.

D

Deleted member 2719

Trump could learn a lot if he spent 16 minutes or even 16 years on here.

Surely NSC is on his radar???

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here