Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] PS5 / Xbox Series S/X

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It takes me about 6 months to get through a game, and I've only had my PS4 a year or so. At this rate, will be looking to upgrade around 2032.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'm usually an xbox person so will get series X, but I invested in a PS4 for the spider-man game. I was looking at the PS5 for the next spider-man game, but saw with the new gameplay trailer that it is available on the PS4, so I'm not so sure I'll be getting the play station, too.

Though I don't usually rush to get the latest console, tend to give it until it's been out a few months and is in good stock at most stores.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Reading that Microsoft have bought ZeniMax, the parent company of Bethesda who make the Fallout and Elder Scrolls. This has the potential to sway my decision, if they decide to make key new titles like the Elder Scrolls game and Starfield Xbox exclusive.

I think it would be a real shame if they did, but it does seem sadly plausible that Microsoft could buy up a company responsible for a couple of popular, big selling franchises, and make them exclusively Xbox just as they prepare to launch their next console battle with playstation.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Bought a PS4 on release day, got a PS4 Pro when the price dropped to a couple of hundred quid.

Now I've got 2 kids I won't be bothering with a PS5 as I just don't get chance to play them anymore, it took me 2 and a half years to finish re-building my gaming PC after my son was born and I've played it for maybe 2 and a bit hours in 3 months.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Will plump for the Xbox in a year or so. Game pass has changed how I play (haven't touched FIFA since March) and am happy to continue with that model seeing as it is going to include anything new from Bethesda.

Still nervously awaiting whether Sony try to counter it by buying Rockstar... Unlikely, but I think I'd probably switch at that point.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Fella I work said:-

'My wife has just message me to say she's done something silly'.
"I've reserved 3 PS5's so the boys can have one each"?

Feck me, he's on a completely different pay scale to the one I'm on, for doing the same job.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Fella I work said:-

'My wife has just message me to say she's done something silly'.
"I've reserved 3 PS5's so the boys can have one each"?

Feck me, he's on a completely different pay scale to the one I'm on, for doing the same job.

I thought the pre-orders were limited to one per customer and sold out? Good chance that fella is full of it.

I've defected back over to Xbox from PS4. While Playstation have the better first party studios (IMHO) there is undeniable value in the Series S with GamePass on the Xbox, especially with them snagging Zenimax.
If it turns into and expensive doorstop -like the xbox one did- I can always flog it and upgrade to the PS5 next year.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yeah, of course you could, but that doesn't fit the guise of 'just doing something silly.' That's premeditated and carefully considered in advance. They're still sold out though.
He's not like 'that', although who knows.
This was a few weeks ago.

If nothing else it did give me the opportunity to call him a tw@t so at least some good came from the conversation.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
I've watched a few youtube vids of games coming out on the PS5 and I can't really see a great deal of improvement in graphics. Maybe games producers can't unlock the full potential yet but that's what would be the main factor for me in upgrading. Shirley graphics should all be photo realistic by now?

As others have mentioned I might just go for the Oculus Quest instead. Cheaper and VR got to be much more fun. I had VR for my PS4 but it was crap. It was like being too close to the TV.

Braggfan

May 12, 2014
Will plump for the Xbox in a year or so. Game pass has changed how I play (haven't touched FIFA since March) and am happy to continue with that model seeing as it is going to include anything new from Bethesda.

Still nervously awaiting whether Sony try to counter it by buying Rockstar... Unlikely, but I think I'd probably switch at that point.

It's possible I guess, as that would certainly be a big tactical advantage. However I think it's just be step too far finiancially. Strangely I dont think the tactic works as well with bigger games.

The problem with taking over Rockstar's parent company would be, apart from being incredibly expensive, the tactic works by offsetting what you would lose in games sales against how many people it woud sway to buy your particualr console. But with the Rockstar games, they sold so many units across all platforms, the money you would lose by from eliminating one of the consoles from the market wouldn't be worth it. It be better financially keeping it available to all platforms.

To compare, GTA 5 sold 135 million copies world wide. Skyrim sold 30 million. So you would be taking a massive hit on those GTA sales if you made in exclusive to one console.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

Agreed!

More to the point that I think Microsoft buying Bethesda will eventually lead to most AAA games becoming console exclusives in the future (requiring 2 separate £400 devices). The Rockstar rumour was doing the rounds on Twitter last week but seems to have calmed itself down.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Agreed!

More to the point that I think Microsoft buying Bethesda will eventually lead to most AAA games becoming console exclusives in the future (requiring 2 separate £400 devices). The Rockstar rumour was doing the rounds on Twitter last week but seems to have calmed itself down.

Rockstar are part of Take2 Interactive, Sony just dont have the money for it and its dreamland from the Sony Ponies.
Full disclosure, I play on PS4 and will get a PS5, but let's be realistic, haha!

I'll have to go ps5 as my friends are all on PS, but I feel Xbox has the better offering right now with gamepass and Bethesda (Elder Scrolls, Fallout and Starfield).
If they all turn out to be exclusives, I'll have to put my hand in my pocket and buy a Series X..

Braggfan

May 12, 2014
Rockstar are part of Take2 Interactive, Sony just dont have the money for it and its dreamland from the Sony Ponies.
Full disclosure, I play on PS4 and will get a PS5, but let's be realistic, haha!

I'll have to go ps5 as my friends are all on PS, but I feel Xbox has the better offering right now with gamepass and Bethesda (Elder Scrolls, Fallout and Starfield).
If they all turn out to be exclusives, I'll have to put my hand in my pocket and buy a Series X..

I should point out that when I mentioned about Bethesda's parent company being bought out, but it was purely speculation about them making games console exclusive, so it may not happen.

It's just, sadly I think we can all see that how it beneficial it could be to the Xbox release to have this trick up their sleeve.

I really hate game exclusivity though as I think it stifles the industry. As gamers we're maniulated into either picking sides or even worse having to buy both consoles. They only people that win from that are Sony and Microsoft. So infruriating.

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
So preordered the PS5 from Amazon but circumstances have changed.

Does anyone want this that wasn't able to get one before I cancel the preorder? Get in touch.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I should point out that when I mentioned about Bethesda's parent company being bought out, but it was purely speculation about them making games console exclusive, so it may not happen.
It's just, sadly I think we can all see that how it beneficial it could be to the Xbox release to have this trick up their sleeve.

I really hate game exclusivity though as I think it stifles the industry. As gamers we're maniulated into either picking sides or even worse having to buy both consoles. They only people that win from that are Sony and Microsoft. So infruriating.

MS spent a fecktonne of money on Zenimax and they'd be wild to not make their 'bigger' games exclusive, imo.
I think the smaller titles will be cross-platform, but with Fallout/ES/Starfield et al, I believe they will either be full exclusives, or (long) timed-exclusives'

Can you imagine, over the next 3-4 years, Elder Scrolls 6, only on Xbox. Fallout 5, Only on Xbox. Starfield, only on Xbox.
They'll bring in millions of new customers, many of which will subscribe to Game Pass, and that's the end-goal for MS - I believe.

But agreed, I hate exclusivity, but at least cross-play and cross-platform is rapidly becoming a thing now.

Thinking more about it, I'll likely get a PS5 Digital with trade-in of my PS4.
And then sign up to the Xbox All-Access for $40 p/m and get the Series X - later down the line.

Braggfan

May 12, 2014
MS spent a fecktonne of money on Zenimax and they'd be wild to not make their 'bigger' games exclusive, imo.
I think the smaller titles will be cross-platform, but with Fallout/ES/Starfield et al, I believe they will either be full exclusives, or (long) timed-exclusives'

Can you imagine, over the next 3-4 years, Elder Scrolls 6, only on Xbox. Fallout 5, Only on Xbox. Starfield, only on Xbox.
They'll bring in millions of new customers, many of which will subscribe to Game Pass, and that's the end-goal for MS - I believe.

But agreed, I hate exclusivity, but at least cross-play and cross-platform is rapidly becoming a thing now.

Thinking more about it, I'll likely get a PS5 Digital with trade-in of my PS4.
And then sign up to the Xbox All-Access for $40 p/m and get the Series X - later down the line.

I think you're right, the writing is on the wall there really. I have to say it, even though I don't like it, Elder Scrolls, Fallout and Starfield as an exclusivce would get me to buy an Xbox. And potentially end up getting both consoles at some point down the line. Which is crazy really.

It does make you wonder, if this deal has been in the offing for a while, if Microsoft have encouraged Bethesda not to release too much about Elder Scrolls and Starfield. Bethesda have been very cagey with details on them both, other than they'll be their next big releases. which in turn kind of whips up the interest in them, because fans are itching for news. And then if they announce they'll be Xbox exclusives alongside a big update with screenshots and details, they'll get a lot of people plump for Xbox there and then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here