Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] White Riot

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Simple minds ... really I thought you’d be bouncing around to Screwdriver or some such bunch of twats.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The huge irony is that while Das Reich was in his shorts, playing with his Action Man, I, a clueless sheep, was in the Marquee watching Skrewdrive. They had started out as an ordinary unassuming punk band, and were supporting (the band) 'Chelsea'. A double irony. I have a suspicion that Donaldson went a bit doolally directly after Gene October rebuffed him in the Marquee dressing room:rolleyes:. After his attempts to defund antiracism, he succeeded in defunding himself in a car crash in his mid 30s. Quite a legacy.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
No it wasn't the Clash that popularised reggae with punks; in the early punk days (76 - 77) we had no records to play in between bands on stage, and heavy dub reggae was the only sounds out there that wasn't the usual disco pap or prog rock/hippy cr4p we were trying to get away from.

It was a bit of both shirley? A two-way street. The Clash certainly served as a pathway into reggae for many kids. And punk provided a platform for showcasing the talents of reggae artists at a level that they may otherwise have struggled to achieve organically. A match made in heaven really

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
The huge irony is that while Das Reich was in his shorts, playing with his Action Man, I, a clueless sheep, was in the Marquee watching Skrewdrive. They had started out as an ordinary unassuming punk band, and were supporting (the band) 'Chelsea'. A double irony. I have a suspicion that Donaldson went a bit doolally directly after Gene October rebuffed him in the Marquee dressing room:rolleyes:. After his attempts to defund antiracism, he succeeded in defunding himself in a car crash in his mid 30s. Quite a legacy.

And the belief that Oi was right wing. TBH, there were a few but Sham weren’t, neither were the Angelic Upstarts (very much not right wing) or Infa-riot or cockney rejects.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
And the belief that Oi was right wing. TBH, there were a few but Sham weren’t, neither were the Angelic Upstarts (very much not right wing) or Infa-riot or cockney rejects.

Indeed. I saw Sham 69 at the Roxy in Covent Garden. Jimmy Pursey is our leader :lolol:.

The Upstarts really scored an OG with this though. Rebel=Taliban! :facepalm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAl9H8E8pvo

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
White Riot is currently in cirulation on Sky Arts. It aired yesterday and is scheduled to air again. Next in the listings 1am Sat 13th March (so Friday night into Saturday morning), but Sky Arts tend to repeat everything multiple times so if you can't record it, it might have another showing in the next few weeks.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
I went to a Steeleye Span concert at the Dome the year before last. There was no trouble. I guess Brighton’s quietened down since the old days.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
As for Rock Against Racism, isn’t it odd how Clapton’ and Bowie’s astonishing comments have been thrown down the memory hole? Careers have been ended for far less, yet there seems to be an unwritten law that these things aren’t mentioned again in articles, retrospectives etc.

I don’t want them “cancelled” by any means, but the silence is deafening.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
As for Rock Against Racism, isn’t it odd how Clapton’ and Bowie’s astonishing comments have been thrown down the memory hole? Careers have been ended for far less, yet there seems to be an unwritten law that these things aren’t mentioned again in articles, retrospectives etc.

Seem to recall Bowie flirting with a full-on Third Reich look in London town round about then. Not a good look to be honest

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Seem to recall Bowie going full-on Third Reich in London round about then

Yes, he said Hitler was the first rock star and that fascism was necessary. (I think it was back in his heroin days, but even so...)

Full quote:

I’d love to enter politics. I will one day. I’d adore to be Prime Minister. And, yes, I believe very strongly in fascism. The only way we can speed up the sort of liberalism that’s hanging foul in the air at the moment is to speed up the progress of a right-wing, totally dictatorial tyranny and get it over as fast as possible. People have always responded with greater efficiency under a regimental leadership. A liberal wastes time saying, “Well, now, what ideas have you got?” Show them what to do, for God’s sake. If you don’t, nothing will get done. I can’t stand people just hanging about. Television is the most successful fascist, needless to say. Rock stars are fascists, too. Adolf Hitler was one of the first rock stars.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

You may be right, I've never heard said comments. What did they say? Got a link?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

I remember seeing Clapton's comments brought up again recently when he came out against masks and/or lockdown (I forget specifically which), but I don't think it's been entirely forgotten.

Bowie I think is more complex, because he also has had that video 'trending' where he challenges MTV on their lack of black artists. I was too young at the time, but watching white riot now and seeing him quoted it feels more like he was perhaps performing it rather than believing it. He was ziggy stardust, after all, not unknown for him to play characters. Or maybe I'm just trying to find excuses to let him off the hook.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
You may be right, I've never heard said comments. What did they say? Got a link?

CLAPTON: Get the foreigners out. Get the wogs out. Get the coons out. Keep Britain white. I used to be into dope, now I’m into racism. It’s much heavier, man. ****ing wogs, man. ****ing Saudis taking over London. ******* wogs. Etc, etc...

BOWIE: I believe very strongly in fascism. The only way we can speed up the sort of liberalism that’s hanging foul in the air at the moment is to speed up the progress of a right-wing, totally dictatorial tyranny and get it over as fast as possible. People have always responded with greater efficiency under a regimental leadership. A liberal wastes time saying, “Well, now, what ideas have you got?” Show them what to do, for God’s sake. If you don’t, nothing will get done. I can’t stand people just hanging about. Television is the most successful fascist, needless to say. Rock stars are fascists, too. Adolf Hitler was one of the first rock stars.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
CLAPTON: Get the foreigners out. Get the wogs out. Get the coons out. Keep Britain white. I used to be into dope, now I’m into racism. It’s much heavier, man. ****ing wogs, man. ****ing Saudis taking over London. ******* wogs. Etc, etc...

BOWIE: I believe very strongly in fascism. The only way we can speed up the sort of liberalism that’s hanging foul in the air at the moment is to speed up the progress of a right-wing, totally dictatorial tyranny and get it over as fast as possible. People have always responded with greater efficiency under a regimental leadership. A liberal wastes time saying, “Well, now, what ideas have you got?” Show them what to do, for God’s sake. If you don’t, nothing will get done. I can’t stand people just hanging about. Television is the most successful fascist, needless to say. Rock stars are fascists, too. Adolf Hitler was one of the first rock stars.

Found this about Bowie which gives a little context to his frankly bizarre comments. One thing is for sure if he had been spouting this nonsense in this day and age he would be for it.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/rock-star-david-bowie/

Question is: Is it better to live in a society that would not put up with this kind of crap or one that publishes it in magazines.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
CLAPTON: Get the foreigners out. Get the wogs out. Get the coons out. Keep Britain white. I used to be into dope, now I’m into racism. It’s much heavier, man. ****ing wogs, man. ****ing Saudis taking over London. ******* wogs. Etc, etc....

GIves a little more insight into the band name Cream?? :eek::eek::lolol:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/eric-clapton-racist-rant/

Interesting that a member of The Beat was at the gig in Birmingham. It may be that this spurred them on to join two-tone and create some great ska music.

So at least he has been responsible for some decent music since the 60's :lolol::lolol:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I remember seeing Clapton's comments brought up again recently when he came out against masks and/or lockdown (I forget specifically which), but I don't think it's been entirely forgotten.

Bowie I think is more complex, because he also has had that video 'trending' where he challenges MTV on their lack of black artists. I was too young at the time, but watching white riot now and seeing him quoted it feels more like he was perhaps performing it rather than believing it. He was ziggy stardust, after all, not unknown for him to play characters. Or maybe I'm just trying to find excuses to let him off the hook.

I was very young in the late 70's but it is my understanding that many people and artists were brandishing Nazi memorabilia around that time. It was more to do with shocking people rather than being fully-fledged fascists. It certainly seems that he made those comments and they were pretty disgusting, but as you say he has said and done plenty more during his life that would suggest he doesn't live his life by such principals.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here