Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] White Riot

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
I wonder if anyone else remembers this 1979 incident at Selhurts Park? About 40 mins before KO there is about 2,000 Brighton gathered at the top of the White Horse terrace. The ground is less than half full so there is plenty of room to move about when in comes a long line of 20-30 stereotypical skinheads in skinny bleached jeans, flight jackets and boots. At the time there were no skinheads in Brighton so they were immediately clocked as Palace and in one great swoop about 200 Brighton came pouring down the terrace and chased them over the barrier onto the pitch with punches flying and boots up the 4rse. I remember one of them tumbling over the fence backwards with his size 10 DMs up in the air. Oh what a happy sight...

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Remember seeing Henry Rollins (when he was in-between Black Flag and Rollins Band) get off stage and dole out quite a few slaps to nazi skinheads for hitting women and proper punks when I saw his band a few times.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was there and they felt like crucial times. Last weekend in Brighton there were loads of geriatric Skinheads in town for their "Brighton Great Skinhead Reunion" and it made me sick. Nostalgia for being a bunch of ignorant ******** in the 70s/80s, and judging by the cross of St.George badges and facial tattoos they remain a bunch of ignorant ******** now.

Das Reich will be along in a minute to call you clueless.

Although, I think he's too young to know about this stuff. Unless it was the spoof account, I recall him mentioning going to a Simple Minds gig in the early 80s. That is borderline smoking Consulate, and incompatible with a self-declared skin head past. :shrug:

Back to the original post, did I ever mention I got my original 'Clash' album singed by Joe Strummer? I think I probably did :lolol:

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
I was there and they felt like crucial times. Last weekend in Brighton there were loads of geriatric Skinheads in town for their "Brighton Great Skinhead Reunion" and it made me sick. Nostalgia for being a bunch of ignorant ******** in the 70s/80s, and judging by the cross of St.George badges and facial tattoos they remain a bunch of ignorant ******** now.

Fascist skins are also a bit dim wearing a dress code deriving from 'Rudeboys'.

Was in London one time at some anti fascist thing.,when Red action rocked up, and the police put them in with the fascists, not understanding their intent. Funny as hell.
Clash seemed to make reggae popular among punks I'm guessing, both musical genres being mostly anti establishment

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Was in London one time at some anti fascist thing.,when Red action rocked up, and the police put them in with the fascists, not understanding their intent. Funny as hell.
Clash seemed to make reggae popular among punks I'm guessing, both musical genres being mostly anti establishment

OK, you're a reggae man, and a bit older than me. Here's how it went for the punk generation.

• Don Letts. Acme Attractions (King's Road). He ran it and played records. All the punk glitterati like Rotten, Siouxie, etc., hanged out there.
  • John Peel. Played dub reggae from around 74/75. Rebel music and the dub appealed to former psychedelic fans, seeking The New Sound.
  • Then 1976 and the punk explosion. Any punk club or gig played reggae. Most famously the 100 club (where The Pistols played an early gig, and Sid disgraced himself - another story).
  • Reggae bands often supported punk bands live. The number of times I saw Steele Pulse live is beyond calculation (aka I can't remember)
  • For a time me and my pals listened only to punk and reggae. Everything else was for old people. Well, apart from Beefhart, Zappa, Peter Hammill, MX80 (Sound), Elvis Costello, Ian Dury, Patti Smith, James Brown, Ivor Cutler, Viv Stanshall, er, ok, Springsteen. I'll get my coat.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013

No it wasn't the Clash that popularised reggae with punks; in the early punk days (76 - 77) we had no records to play in between bands on stage, and heavy dub reggae was the only sounds out there that wasn't the usual disco pap or prog rock/hippy cr4p we were trying to get away from.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
No it wasn't the Clash that popularised reggae with punks; in the early punk days (76 - 77) we had no records to play in between bands on stage, and heavy dub reggae was the only sounds out there that wasn't the usual disco pap or prog rock/hippy cr4p we were trying to get away from.
I was well into punk at the time but never understood the revulsion for soul/disco except for the fact that most of the choons were considerably longer than 3 mins and were completely different stylistically (*).

And where you consider where soul/disco originated from....

(*pun intended)

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
OK, you're a reggae man, and a bit older than me. Here's how it went for the punk generation.

• Don Letts. Acme Attractions (King's Road). He ran it and played records. All the punk glitterati like Rotten, Siouxie, etc., hanged out there.
  • John Peel. Played dub reggae from around 74/75. Rebel music and the dub appealed to former psychedelic fans, seeking The New Sound.
  • Then 1976 and the punk explosion. Any punk club or gig played reggae. Most famously the 100 club (where The Pistols played an early gig, and Sid disgraced himself - another story).
  • Reggae bands often supported punk bands live. The number of times I saw Steele Pulse live is beyond calculation (aka I can't remember)
  • For a time me and my pals listened only to punk and reggae. Everything else was for old people. Well, apart from Beefhart, Zappa, Peter Hammill, MX80 (Sound), Elvis Costello, Ian Dury, Patti Smith, James Brown, Ivor Cutler, Viv Stanshall, er, ok, Springsteen. I'll get my coat.
steel pulse were brilliant......a big fave at the time , only saw them 4 times .

Jan 30, 2008
Das Reich will be along in a minute to call you clueless.

Although, I think he's too young to know about this stuff. Unless it was the spoof account, I recall him mentioning going to a Simple Minds gig in the early 80s. That is borderline smoking Consulate, and incompatible with a self-declared skin head past. :shrug:

Back to the original post, did I ever mention I got my original 'Clash' album singed by Joe Strummer? I think I probably did :lolol:
Simple minds early 80's H ??? See them live at Wembley stadium in 89 ???
Regards
DF

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here