Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] White Riot

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Released in cinemas today - tho sadly not in Brighton, seems like

Documentary highlighting how Rock Against Racism was formed to counteract the rise of the National Front in 1977 who were attempting to recruit the youth en mass, including those lovable cuddly skinheads it's fashionable to romanticise about nowadays by anybody who was never on the wrong end of a size 10 DM

Culminates in a glorious gig in Victoria Park, Hackney in 1978 feat. The Clash, Steel Pulse, Tom Robinson Band, X-Ray Spex, Jimmy Pursey. Oh, and Patrik Fitzgerald, who got halfway through the first verse of his first song before some frothing at the mouth low IQ stormtrooper who was doubtless the salt of the earth and ever so good to his dear old muvver hit him square in the face with a full can of cheap lager. As the badge of the time said: Nazis Are No Fun

Here's the trailer

https://youtu.be/aua5qHypn3w

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Phew, I thought this was going to be another Leeds thread.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
We (KingTafariLove) became aware when our parties and club nights were suddenly full of punks out of the blue

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Listened to the Clash's eponymous debut album the other day. It really is rather good*

*God that sounds middle class.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
On a similar theme, I enjoyed reading Walls Come Tumbling Down: The Music and Politics of Rock Against Racism, 2 Tone and Red Wedge by Daniel Rachel a few years ago.

Music can be a force for change

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
On a similar theme, I enjoyed reading Walls Come Tumbling Down: The Music and Politics of Rock Against Racism, 2 Tone and Red Wedge by Daniel Rachel a few years ago.

Music can be a force for change

Really hope that that can still be the case. Really REALLY hard to think of a recent example. Tho I guess we'll know it if/when we hear it

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Listened to the Clash's eponymous debut album the other day. It really is rather good*

*God that sounds middle class.

...especially if read in the voice of Mark Williams’ “which was nice” Fast Show character.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
...especially if read in the voice of Mark Williams’ “which was nice” Fast Show character.

... especially while wearing a mauve roll-neck sweater type thing

IMG_20200918_130956.jpg

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Patrick Fitzgerald, got hit by a can, must have been all the banging and shouting ?

Sounds a great film, proper scary gigs were in those days, I got many a cuff round the ear by those lovely skinheads.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Really hope that that can still be the case. Really REALLY hard to think of a recent example. Tho I guess we'll know it if/when we hear it

Guess that you (like me) don't listen to a lot of Grime then?

The film looks amazing - thanks for flagging it up. I was only ever at the periphery but it still brings back memories. Is there ANY way we'll be able to watch this soon at home?

I doubt I will get my daughter to watch - it's all 'olden days, terrible music' to her (which coming from someone with a love of tuneless grime seems a little rich to me, but that's age for you) but I will try hard, not least to show her that anti-racism wasn't invented this year!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Guess that you (like me) don't listen to a lot of Grime then?

The film looks amazing - thanks for flagging it up. I was only ever at the periphery but it still brings back memories. Is there ANY way we'll be able to watch this soon at home?

I doubt I will get my daughter to watch - it's all 'olden days, terrible music' to her (which coming from someone with a love of tuneless grime seems a little rich to me, but that's age for you) but I will try hard, not least to show her that anti-racism wasn't invented this year!

Sadly DOES seem wasted on cinemas this year, same as every new release this covid-wary year. Will hopefully make the Film4 roster soonest

Peteinblack

NSC Patreon
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Released in cinemas today - tho sadly not in Brighton, seems like

Documentary highlighting how Rock Against Racism was formed to counteract the rise of the National Front in 1977 who were attempting to recruit the youth en mass, including those lovable cuddly skinheads it's fashionable to romanticise about nowadays by anybody who was never on the wrong end of a size 10 DM

Culminates in a glorious gig in Victoria Park, Hackney in 1978 feat. The Clash, Steel Pulse, Tom Robinson Band, X-Ray Spex, Jimmy Pursey. Oh, and Patrik Fitzgerald, who got halfway through the first verse of his first song before some frothing at the mouth low IQ stormtrooper who was doubtless the salt of the earth and ever so good to his dear old muvver hit him square in the face with a full can of cheap lager. As the badge of the time said: Nazis Are No Fun

Here's the trailer

https://youtu.be/aua5qHypn3w

I was there punk::wave::wave:

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
I was there and they felt like crucial times. Last weekend in Brighton there were loads of geriatric Skinheads in town for their "Brighton Great Skinhead Reunion" and it made me sick. Nostalgia for being a bunch of ignorant ******** in the 70s/80s, and judging by the cross of St.George badges and facial tattoos they remain a bunch of ignorant ******** now.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Patrick Fitzgerald, got hit by a can, must have been all the banging and shouting ?

Sounds a great film, proper scary gigs were in those days, I got many a cuff round the ear by those lovely skinheads.

Sham 69 at the Top Rank springs to mind. Went there after we had finished an evening game against Charlton (IIRC). That was scary for sure.

I remember well the days of the Anti Nazi league and Rock Against Racism; looking forward to watching the film.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I was there and they felt like crucial times. Last weekend in Brighton there were loads of geriatric Skinheads in town for their "Brighton Great Skinhead Reunion" and it made me sick. Nostalgia for being a bunch of ignorant ******** in the 70s/80s, and judging by the cross of St.George badges and facial tattoos they remain a bunch of ignorant ******** now.

Romanticised 5hit has the skins down as sharp dressing worshippers of roots rock reggae. Might just about taken with a sack of salt true in about 1973. By 1977 they were pure prototype nazis who loved nothing better than giving a good kicking to the good guys for no real reason at all. Pure white low IQ trash with a rottweiler pack mentality. Not a bit unlike now really...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here