Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Man Utd - “run out of money”

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Looking for some football gossip I ended up on Talksport.com (honest!), and they are quoted as saying that the worlds biggest club TM (R) etc etc Manchester United have run out of money (well Tim Sherwood said so). I did read elsewhere that they take £5-6m every match day - so may be some truth on cash flow. Anyway on a positive note that means our new striker is sorted we can take our pick of Greenwood, Martial or Rashford - I’m sure one of them could do a job (they can keep Sanchez of Ighalio)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
They haven't had any money for years.

If true, run out of more debt, might be a better phrasing.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Looking for some football gossip I ended up on Talksport.com (honest!), and they are quoted as saying that the worlds biggest club TM (R) etc etc Manchester United have run out of money (well Tim Sherwood said so). I did read elsewhere that they take £5-6m every match day - so may be some truth on cash flow. Anyway on a positive note that means our new striker is sorted we can take our pick of Greenwood, Martial or Rashford - I’m sure one of them could do a job (they can keep Sanchez of Ighalio)

Greenwood would be the perfect replacement for Duffy off the football pitch

D

Deleted member 2719

Calling [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION]

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Have they really run out of money? Or have they just not got any left over after their parasitic owners have creamed off whatever they think they're due?

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
El Presidente's recent episode of 'The Price of Football' discusses some of the rescheduling of loans that have recently occurred with some top flight clubs and also an idea of some of the debt that is swirling about.
It all sounds like a recipe for disaster.

For anyone who hasn't yet discovered The Price of Football podcast has been missing out on some great information and also entertainment.
I can't recommend the podcast highly enough.

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-price-of-football/id1482886394

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
They haven't had any money for years.

If true, run out of more debt, might be a better phrasing.

I remember a few years someone on R4 money programme saying any company with the debt of Man Utd would have been wound up years ago

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
El Presidente's recent episode of 'The Price of Football' discusses some of the rescheduling of loans that have recently occurred with some top flight clubs and also an idea of some of the debt that is swirling about.

For anyone who hasn't yet discovered The Price of Football podcast has been missing out on some great information and also entertainment.

Licker.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Would a really huge club be “allowed” to just fold like a Macclesfield or bury? I’m kinda interested if there would be enough fan power to pay off the debts?

Allowed doesn’t come into it, they wouldn’t be saved by the government as that honour is reserved solely for vulture-like sub-prime debt banks.

They’d go into admin, rename themselves Man Utd 2020 Ltd and take a derisory points deduction. Might not make Europe that year.

Unless the fans paid the debt... £200m I think. Would 2 million people worldwide pay £100 each? I highly doubt it.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Calling [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION]

Cheers MB.

Manchester United had £90m in the bank at 31 March, since then they’ve arranged a £150m overdraft facility.

They will suffer from loss of Matchday income, works out at about £4m per game,. They’ve received their first instalment of TV money for 2020/21 from the PL as well as UEFA prize money for reaching SF of Europa League, so they’re not skint, just being cautious.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Cheers MB.

Manchester United had £90m in the bank at 31 March, since then they’ve arranged a £150m overdraft facility.

They will suffer from loss of Matchday income, works out at about £4m per game,. They’ve received their first instalment of TV money for 2020/21 from the PL as well as UEFA prize money for reaching SF of Europa League, so they’re not skint, just being cautious.

Forbes even using you now, it's like you're actually good at this stuff or something.

£8bn in interest and finance charges since the Glazers took over. Wow.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bobbymcmahon/2020/05/21/manchester-uniteds-net-debt-more-than-doubles-to-523m-in-9-months/#4c5cb70c1af3

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I remember a few years someone on R4 money programme saying any company with the debt of Man Utd would have been wound up years ago

Totally untrue.

Debt can only measured in the context of the ability to service it. Man Utd have a very strong recurrent free cash flow. Even allowing for lower match day revenue the club are comfortable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

Agreed - I'm staggered how they manage to do two high quality pods a week. Loads of great stuff and highly entertaining.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here