Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Groß last night

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
OK so he wasn't on for that long but he seemed to me to be playing deeper than usual, even dropping between the two centre halves on occasion to receive the ball. With his passing ability and the greater competition for the number 10 role, could this be where we see him play this season? I think he could have all the attributes needed for the 'deep lying playmaker' role

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Those 2 or 3 through balls he tried were very decent and against lesser teams may have resulted in the oppositions keeper having a save to make

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Those 2 or 3 through balls he tried were very decent and against lesser teams may have resulted in the oppositions keeper having a save to make

If they're tall enough.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Loved the moment when he was waiting on the sidelines to come on playing with his finger nails like he couldn't give two poo poos.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
He's got the legs for it, problem is he can't tackle for toffee. Think he's a walking red card in that role.

That's a fair point, but if he can stay disciplined and let Bissouma do his tackling for him I think he could do well as the 'quarterback'

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
if memory is not playing tricks on me CH tried him in a deeper role along side either DS or DP .... did not go particularly great though not a disaster either

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
He's got the legs for it, problem is he can't tackle for toffee. Think he's a walking red card in that role.

Pascal Gross with his, wait let me have a quick check, 1 (second yellow) red card in 402 professional appearances, is a walking red card.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
if memory is not playing tricks on me CH tried him in a deeper role along side either DS or DP .... did not go particularly great though not a disaster either

I think he did that in that Caraboa Cup game against Southampton. Gross certainly played that role, not sure he was alongside either of those two.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Iirc he played that role in Germany and had the best stats in the league for chances created, it wasn't til he came to us that he played further forward.

Its often been said if he had more pace he'd be at a far bigger club than us, so that position would probably suit him better now that we have plenty of options further forward.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Your memory is not playing tricks, he was certainly used in that role by CH. My recollection was that it didn't work well and was quickly dropped.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Iirc he played that role in Germany and had the best stats in the league for chances created, it wasn't til he came to us that he played further forward.

Its often been said if he had more pace he'd be at a far bigger club than us, so that position would probably suit him better now that we have plenty of options further forward.

He played just behind the striker in a 3-4-2-1 when I saw him in Germany for Ingolstadt. Think that was his regular position having them followed that side after for a while.

Do think he could play deeper in our side though now. Would need someone else in there with him who could tackle though (Stephens probably)

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Pascal Gross with his, wait let me have a quick check, 1 (second yellow) red card in 402 professional appearances, is a walking red card.

Because he's not required to break up play in his current position, he's mostly closing down defenders or CMs.

Put him in a deep lying role where he has to tackle the likes of dibbley and sock boy around our 18 yard box and see how many yellows he picks up.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
I think that might have been an instruction to a few of the players, dropping deep to give more options to pass out from the back. Trossard was doing the same.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Looks like Gross laying deeper has become a more permanent fixture now- seems to be working well too IMO

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
That's a fair point, but if he can stay disciplined and let Bissouma do his tackling for him I think he could do well as the 'quarterback'

Top marks [MENTION=4815]seagully[/MENTION] think you called it exactly right. Bissouma is making the challenges so gross doesn't need to.

We move the ball much quicker with Gross, as you say, playing quarterback. He's always very clever with his positioning and choice of pass.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here