Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gary Lineker BBC pay cut.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
My hatred for Lineker stems from him being a smug arrogant ****.
Who on earth cares about the political ideologies of a has been out of date football pundit hack? Sad state of affairs if you ask me.
Should be let go for being **** at his job, but he keeps popping up everywhere infesting football like cancer. **** *** Lineker.

(Sorry, rant over.)

His views are as valid as anyone and he should be recognised for actually standing up and calling out sh*t when it would be better for him to keep his head down. I would guess you disagree with his views and then looking for reasons not to like him.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
You would only know what he’s saying about politics if you followed him on Twitter. He doesn’t bring his views to the tv screen.

Yes. And your point is?

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
His views are as valid as anyone and he should be recognised for actually standing up and calling out sh*t when it would be better for him to keep his head down. I would guess you disagree with his views and then looking for reasons not to like him.

I actually agree with a lot of his views, still can't stand the bloke. My feelings about Lineker are from his punditry. I used to enjoy MOTD and now no longer watch it. He almost triggers a gag reflex in me.
His political stance is his own business, your's is your's, mine is mine. Whether he aligns himself with me politically or not I'm still not going to invite him to a tea party.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I actually agree with a lot of his views, still can't stand the bloke. My feelings about Lineker are from his punditry. I used to enjoy MOTD and now no longer watch it. He almost triggers a gag reflex in me.
His political stance is his own business, your's is your's, mine is mine. Whether he aligns himself with me politically or not I'm still not going to invite him to a tea party.

What punditry? He doesn't do punditry.

My guess is you don't watch Match of the Day.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
How in the name of sanity is Zoe Ball getting £1.3 million per year.
Worse Radio 2 breakfast show presenter of all time, its like listening to junior choice with soppy boy/girl band bubble gum music.
Losing listeners hand over fist from when Chris Evens had it.
Unbelievable wages.

She does other things too though doesn't like - like the strictly spin off etc?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
What is Vanessa Feltz still doing on TV that warrants a £400k salary??!!

Could argue that for a number of third division footballers who play in front of less than 10,000 each week.

She is clearly doing a lot more than them.

I find the debate an bewildering one for that reason.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Gary Lineker’s salary (as are the other high earners) is a sideshow to the wider and more fundamental question concerning the future of the BBC, and change is coming.

No one sane would support the continued criminalisation (and in some cases incarceration) of non payers, and the eventual removal of this sanction will force the BBC to confront a large scale revolt of non payments (which has already started). This situation will essentially drive the BBC to choose whether they accept a form of pay per view model or pursue (at cost) non payers through the courts. The PR on the latter is unsustainable.

In short the BBC has a similar problem to the Labour Party, in that they have gone “all in” on the middle class Islington dinner party horse.

Lineker is symptomatic of this trajectory, he’s well off, underwritten by public funds, espouses his personal view as if it’s an unassailable truth from his mansions in Barnes or Esher.

If it wasn’t him it would be Norton or Ball or Maitlis etc.........so Auntie is done, she cooked herself in her own oven. It’s really good news, if you like Lineker......you pay for him, if you don’t you won’t.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
https://www.ft.com/content/20bc9609-5f9e-448a-8882-1c31fc6e41cd

Gary Lineker in £4.9m tax battle with HMRC over freelance earnings
UK authority claims TV presenter and former England footballer owes income tax and national insurance

HMRC is seeking £3,621,735.90 in income tax and £1,313,755.38 in national insurance contributions from Lineker for work he performed for the BBC between the 2013/14 and 2016/17 tax years and for BT Sport during the 2015/16 and 2017/18 tax years inclusive.

SAC

May 21, 2014
https://www.ft.com/content/20bc9609-5f9e-448a-8882-1c31fc6e41cd

Gary Lineker in £4.9m tax battle with HMRC over freelance earnings
UK authority claims TV presenter and former England footballer owes income tax and national insurance

HMRC is seeking £3,621,735.90 in income tax and £1,313,755.38 in national insurance contributions from Lineker for work he performed for the BBC between the 2013/14 and 2016/17 tax years and for BT Sport during the 2015/16 and 2017/18 tax years inclusive.

In case people are interested but can't read the FT

https://www.express.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/1432998/ir35-tax-gary-lineker-hmrc

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here